3 pt splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to everyone for all the good info. I was at a farm equipment auction this past weekend and there was an American Woodsplitter up for sale. I bought it for $1200.00.

It is brand new (still on the pallet) and had been brought to the auction by a local tractor dealer. I think it had been sitting around on his lot for a while and he wanted to move it out.

It has a 6" I-beam, 4x24 ram, and a Prince hydraulic pump with tank to run off the pto. It was kind of an impulsive decision but I thought I'd try it anyway. I think the price is right and if I want to get rid of it I don't think I'll get burned too bad. Any thoughts on this make/model/price???
Thanks again for your helpful suggestions!!!
Willy

Last edited:
American builds good stuff.

I think you did very well. Between the pump, cylinder, and valve alone you're at close to $850 to $900. $350 for the beam, wedge, mounts and the labor to build is a pretty good deal indeed.

Keep us posted.

Take Care

Thanks to everyone for all the good info. I was at a farm equipment auction this past weekend and there was an American Woodsplitter up for sale. I bought it for $1200.00.

It is brand new (still on the pallet) and had been brought to the auction by a local tractor dealer. I think it had been sitting around on his lot for a while and he wanted to move it out.

It has a 6" I-beam, 4x24 ram, and a Prince hydraulic pump with tank to run off the pto. It was kind of an impulsive decision but I thought I'd try it anyway. I think the price is right and if I want to get rid of it I don't think I'll get burned too bad. Any thoughts on this make/model/price???
Thanks again for your helpful suggestions!!!
Willy

Congrats on the new splitter. When I bought my Timberwolf TW3, the American TMH splitter you have was actually my first choice although they are both excellent machines. I bought the TW3 mostly because it was available "off the shelf" and the American was a 5 week lead time. The only downside I could find on the American is that it did not have a hydraulic filter, which if yours doesn't, you should consider adding at some point. You got a great deal though - I was quoted $2245 but it included the log cradle, pans (table) and shipping ($100). If you didn't get the cradle and pans, I would seriously think about it because they are a real back and time saver. I was quoted $70 for the cradle and $150 for the pans.

Hey... The world needs more shameless picture whores!

Yeah, there is no filter but that seems easy enough to ad in. Also no cradle or pan but I'm pretty good at customizing stuff like that to my situation. It's a 2500 psi rating.

I don't have the specs on the pump yet but that thing weighs about 25lbs...beefy. Any thoughts on the times for changing the hydro fluid?

Agrarian- Did you say you run your RPM's at about 1600? Is that a recommendation by Timberwolfe, or is it a matter of deciding between safety and speed?

Last edited:
Yes, I run the TW3 at approx. 1600 RPM. That was chosen simply to balance ram speed with fuel consumption and cuts down on the hours logged on the tractor hour meter. I believe the pump on the American is the same pump as on the TW3 - a Prince 21 GPM 2250 PSI @ 540 PTO RPM (that last bit is as bad as my daughter's text messages!). Within reason, the speed of the PTO simply determines the speed of the ram without affecting the pressure.

In my discussions with the American factory I was told that they set the safety relief valve @ 2250 PSI so you should get 14+ tons on the out stroke. While this may sound low compared to the "35 ton" units you see advertised don't despair. Those are just advertising lies and none of those units will deliver anywhere near that rating from the factory. The TW3 relief valve is set to 2000 PSI so I only get 12+ tons on the outstroke and I have to tell you I have not found anything yet to stop it and I've split some pretty nasty crotches (insert high school humor here :) )

Enjoy the splitter!

Agrarian... Hey thanks for all the good info. I'm excited to get it set up to see what it will do. I'm clearing back a stand of mixed forest to what was open land with orchard about 85 years ago. There's lots of gnarley (sp?) beech and some 20" + poplar that I'm not too proud to put up. It works ok early and late in the season. If I had to split it by hand I'd probably send it out as pulp.

Agrarian... Hey thanks for all the good info. I'm excited to get it set up to see what it will do. I'm clearing back a stand of mixed forest to what was open land with orchard about 85 years ago. There's lots of gnarley (sp?) beech and some 20" + poplar that I'm not too proud to put up. It works ok early and late in the season. If I had to split it by hand I'd probably send it out as pulp.

My land was similar where I built the house. I cut down probably 20 cords of poplar but being a good yankee just couldn't throw it away so I split it by hand. I ended up selling it in bulk cheap to a small time wood seller who I believe cheated his customers by mixing it in with the good stuff.

Have fun with that clearing - you've got a great tool for it now.

Back