3 Pt. tractor box for hauling wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry and Wanda

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,
I've used the search and can't seem to find anything. I know I have seen several boxes made to fit on a tractor 3 point hitch on this site and I would like to look at them again. I now have a tractor and I'm thinking about maybe making one. Could any of you guys that have them please post the pictures again and also add any information that would be helpful in building one...like the do's and don't's !!!! Thanks.

Henry and Wanda

Carryall, plywood, bolts, done.

I'd like to make one too, but my back woods are too tricky for the tractor. However, if I did, I think I'd grab a set of 3 pt forks, and just make a heavy duty modified pallet "crib". That way the box comes off easily, and you've got yourself more lifting power and functionality/ versatility.

Oh, searched for 'carryall' and Haywire's post is a good starting place. Hey, what ever happened to that wacky guy?

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/157380.htm

Last edited:
I use this with a skidloader, but with a set of 3pt pallet forks it'd work on a tractor also

DSC05818.jpg

I made it out of old treated deck lumber I had (2x4, 2x6, 4x4), one random clean 2x4, and a box of big deck screws

I think the measurements were 72" wide, 48" deep and 36" high (something like that)...I sized it so I could put my grapple and bucket in it, and load it on the trailer...if I wanted to

the chain across the front is a must, as are the diagonal braces on the sides

it's kinda heavy (300lbs or so?), but the price was right

so far it's lasted 3 years out in the weather...though I'll have to replace the screw-in eyes with eye-bolts/washers for the front chain soon

a guy (or gal) could do something much lighter with a few pieces of angle iron and some sturdy plywood...though I'd still keep the heavy floor

hope it helps...cheers!

Lady I did some work for last year had one for her Kubota. She used it as a counter weight, even when not using it for hauling. It was mostly angle iron & plywood. It was (I'm guessing) 5' x 3' w/ short sides. When I asked about it, she said she thought it came from Northern for under $300. Nice attachment because you can lower it for loading heavy rounds, then lift it for moving the wood.

Here's mine. Big box with a removable rear panel. Started as a large oak pallet, with additional pressure treated added to make the sides and full flooring. It's heavy duty. I use the hay forks to pick it up and move it around and haul all sortsa stuff, including firewood.

the Deutz pickup

161285d1291886370-dec20_004-jpg

Some wood

190585d1310689206-jul14_004-jpg

more wood and cutting buddy

199295d1316204422-sep16_001-jpg

Real easy using the hayforks to move it around, slide into the pallet slots, then just up, tilt forward, on your way. The removable back gate is nice, ties the box together when moving a heavier load, and easy to roll or flop big rounds in down at ground level with it removed. I've also used it to unload heavy stuff from trucks, bring it up to truck bed level, push in the heavy whatever, go away, down to the ground where you need it. Appliances and so on. I've hauled wood to sacks of feed to fuel barrels to rocks to baby calves to..whatever.

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the pictures and info.........if anyone has more, please keep them coming !!!!! Hey Gavman, I really liked the info on the powerlink box......didn't know that there was an attachment like that !!!! Thanks again to all !!!!!!!

Henry and Wanda

i built one out of angle iron and 2x6 its 4x4x6 and can hold a half cord - i fill it and put it in the garage. in the winter. you will need a big tractor or a front end loader to balance the weight

Want to add something on my build design. Because it is built off an oversize pallet and you pick it up with hayforks, you can go out to your woodlot, drop the cargo box, and now you have the forks there to pick up logs for cutting them off the ground. Just be a good guesser on log weights and where your weight on both sides of the forks is, to keep it balanced as you pick it up, and mind the fork and your hydraulic ratings of course. Take a round off each side in turn, work your way to the middle, then drop the last little chunk of tree that is just straddling the forks, and finish cutting that one on the ground.

For a little more versatility, consider building something like this (not shown is the pair of forks that simply hook over the bottom rail). The boom detaches with two pins. Between the boom and the forks you can move and stack a lot of wood. I use old rock pallets to store and carry firewood. If you aren't familiar with rock pallets, a rock pallet is simply a heavy wood pallet with wire fencing attached for sides (a couple are shown in the truck picture). Ron

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 241695View attachment 241696View attachment 241697View attachment 241699

For a little more versatility, consider building something like this (not shown is the pair of forks that simply hook over the bottom rail). The boom detaches with two pins. Between the boom and the forks you can move and stack a lot of wood. I use old rock pallets to store and carry firewood. If you aren't familiar with rock pallets, a rock pallet is simply a heavy wood pallet with wire fencing attached for sides (a couple are shown in the truck picture). Ron

]

--I like that log hauler a lot, *and* I am pretty sure I have the correct junk around here to build it, minus the tongs.

What I more need though is a winch and a long wire rope, real long. I've got tons of nice wood that is inaccessible to back the tractor right up to, but if I could drag it 100 to 200 feet, in like flint then. What I was doing in the past was bucking it, then one round a day (during my perimeter fence inspection and dog walking patrols) carry or roll it out, then once I had a cargo box amount, I would swing by and pick them up.

I don't have any junk to build a winch from though...drat. I keep checking CL, even used heavy duty winches of any practical tonnage size are quite spendy.

Typical mixed bag day

Took a snap of a typical workday cargo load for me. Did trimming, then mowing (using a large ride on mower onsite, toted the push mower with me and the string weedwhacker), then did some more cutting of big rounds (left at site to go on the double axle heavy hauler trailer) and took back some campfire chunks.

I just *love* tractor cargo boxes, it's what an offroad pickup should be.

The weird thing is, when I built this one, I had no idea that commercial units were out there or this was a common attachment, I just went "hmm, got this big pallet and hayforks, hmmm.."

attachment.php

You can see the uprights extensions in this pic, those are for running barbed wire or mesh fence. Lay a big iron pipe across there with some clamps to hold it better, slip on the fence roll, and then you can anchor the loose end of your fencing material to whatever post or whatever you are starting from, and tool down the fenceline unrolling as you go. Or conversely use the tractor as an anchor point and just hand pull out what you need, etc.

If you have a stout enough FEL with attachable forks, you can also use the box as a po mans bucket truck/aerial lift work station. The other Deutz I use, a dx90, has that and is more than stout enough to hoist that thing up in the air so you can work on trees or construction, etc. I guesstimate the box empty is 500 lbs and I know the FEL has no problem with 3/4 ton large round bales.

I don't have a 3pt carrier, but was thinking would dolly wheels on the back be practical. Wheels like are on the back of a bushog type mower. They spin 360 degrees, just lower the carrier until they touch ground and off you go. Would help with the lite front end problems.

--I like that log hauler a lot, *and* I am pretty sure I have the correct junk around here to build it, minus the tongs.

What I more need though is a winch and a long wire rope, real long. I've got tons of nice wood that is inaccessible to back the tractor right up to, but if I could drag it 100 to 200 feet, in like flint then. What I was doing in the past was bucking it, then one round a day (during my perimeter fence inspection and dog walking patrols) carry or roll it out, then once I had a cargo box amount, I would swing by and pick them up.

I don't have any junk to build a winch from though...drat. I keep checking CL, even used heavy duty winches of any practical tonnage size are quite spendy.

A winch is one of my stalled projects. I haven't worked on it since I got hurt; it is very heavy despite the aluminum housing. It is off a 5 ton Army truck. These winches are fairly plentiful but prices are all over the lot. Usually pretty cheap when sold at the government auctions. When finished it can be carted around and powered by my tractor. For safety and really heavy loads, it can be anchored to a tree or stump with the tractor parked out of the line of fire. Ron

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 241833View attachment 241834View attachment 241835

A winch is one of my stalled projects. I haven't worked on it since I got hurt; it is very heavy despite the aluminum housing. It is off a 5 ton Army truck. These winches are fairly plentiful but prices are all over the lot. Usually pretty cheap when sold at the government auctions. When finished it can be carted around and powered by my tractor. For safety and really heavy loads, it can be anchored to a tree or stump with the tractor parked out of the line of fire. Ron

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 241833View attachment 241834View attachment 241835

Awesome winch there!

I don't have a 3pt carrier, but was thinking would dolly wheels on the back be practical. Wheels like are on the back of a bushog type mower. They spin 360 degrees, just lower the carrier until they touch ground and off you go. Would help with the lite front end problems.

--might could help until you hit mud, then they would drag.

I really don't have bad problems with light front end unless I try to go forward on steep hills with a load..I just go in reverse then.

I try to not overload it, the hydraulics are rated two ton, but the forks are only one ton, so at most I carry maybe 1000 lbs of wood or gear in it, so with the box, 1500 lbs, stay under the rating.. Any more, ya, light front end, theoretical steering. Left/right brakes mostly. I can do 1/4 to 1/3 cord, that's plenty at a trip for me to cut and bring home and split and stack.

I thought this was cool, got a great compliment from my boss when he saw it after I built it, he has every dang piece of gear and tool there is, but he said this cargo box is the slickest tool on the farm for being versatile/practical.

Latest posts

Back