3 saw unbiased plan.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ms200t 12" bar

346xp (NE) 15"bar

Ms440 25" bar dp muffler dual dawgs

This is my 3saw plan although maybe a guy needs to incorporate a 4th saw for the "loaner". My loaners a homelite xl (with the safety tip still attached to nose of the bar!) I really should replace this with a saw with a proper brake but for now the safety tip will have to do.

Nothing beats the lightness/power of the 200t above ground..ive used it a lot in my dads cherrypicker and its so much more comfortable on the arms and shoulders at the end of the day! My father has actually commandeered it he likes it so much.

The 346xp is my most used and most loved saw. Ive read a lot of praise for it on here and not much criticism. I havent tried the ms361 and would love to.. but in a 3 saw plan arent these 2 saws too similar? i know theres a cc difference with the 361 taking lead in power but id wonder if owning both these saws at once means that one would be used all the time and the other left on the shelf.

When i was picking my "big" saw it was between the 660 and 440. (i dont know why i didnt think of the 460?) I got a good deal on the 440 and i had to admit to myself if i came across a tree that was outside the limits of my 440.. its best i left it alone. After all im not a faller, more of an enthusiastic amateur. Although i did what i could to help the 440- at quite a bit of expense i got the DP muffler and some full skip chain shipped from baileys as we dont get those in the UK. But thats just me- you might be happy wielding an 880 around dropping giant douglas firs! or i suppose milling.

To my shame ive no knowledge of the dolmar/makitas or jonsored's shindaiwas but quite a few people give them thumbs up.
regards
Andrew

Right now I have:

Jonsered 2139T climbing saw

Jonsered 2156

and of course Sling'rized Dolmar 7900 (absolutely awesome!).

I'd love to add either a Dolmar 5100 of jonsered 2153 for limbing, and a jonsered 2171, just because!

I have a husky 372 ( ported muffler ), a shinny 488 ( ported saw and muffler ) and a new ms 180. I think I'm set. Had an old Stihl 056 that I wish I had kept and rebuilt.

mine would go with
034 super power of a 60cc i cant notice the weight difference from my 026
stihl 044 10mm or Husky 272/372 XP
Stihl 066 magnum red light DP Muffler
I might be a little biased on the last one.

Makita 401 "Blue Termite" - ported with 026 clutch drum mod
Dolmar 6100 (soon to be- too bad I can't have a blue one :( )
7901 or 9010 (depending on girth of wood)

ms200t-16" 3/8 lo-pro -for the tops and little stuff
346xp-18", 3/8 pitch, ported, for the bigger branches
390xp-28", 3/8 pitch, 8 pin, ported, for the trunk(s)

ms200 14"
ms361 20" b/c 8 pin rim
066 redlight 32" b/c 8 pin rim

I can cut anything i can get my hands on with this plan
every thing else is just becouse haha

I love saws, I really do. The old Poulans are very dear to me, however, Poulan has fallen by the way side (hopefully just for now). If I could have 3 saws right now, they would be
50cc Husqvarna 346xp
60 cc Stihl MS361
70+cc Dolmar 7900
anything requiring more than a 7900, all bets are off. Maybe a mufflr modded MS600.... or God forbid an Ms 880....

It can't possibly be unbiased. You take what you know of saws, what you know of saw work, and end up with your bias. I do mostly forestry and logging in Ireland and the UK. Our trees and terrain are different, and I use saws accordingly. Since I use them several hours a day, often for weeks on end, I can tolerate less vibrations and weight than many firewood cutters might. Sometimes I am paid by the tree, so how well a saw handles in the field, for whatever timber I need to cut, takes precedence that week. I port my saws, and this also gives me a bias. I need parts I can find in a relatively remote island, with remote places that need to be logged. So what is available locally is a heavy bias. Etc etc.

Back