3 saw unbiased plan.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most would pick three of my ported saws to make a 3 saw plan, however my little Echo CS T-271 gets used more than any of them.

If I'm working hardwood tops (3-dimensional maze):
25 cc Tanaka polesaw
40 cc RedMax or PP4218- don't laugh, that Poulan rips.
PP5020 or Dolmar 6100 depending on size and which needs exercise.

If it's all down on the ground, likely substitute 35 cc Jenn Feng "Mac" for polesaw.
Lots to be said for the safety factor of light & nimble 2-handers.

If it's smaller than 16" don't need anything bigger than 40 cc.

I have a 3 saw plan ....... I actually have enough 3 saw plans to have a new one each day of the week, except weekends of course!

334T, 338XPT, T540XP, Dolmar 340, Echo 360T for small stuff.

111i, 5105, 5105 SC, 346XP NE, CS2252 for medium size.

562XP, 365XT, 372XP, ProMac 700, 7900HD for bigger stuff.

Keeps me from being bored using the same saws all the time anyway! :)

First off, the premise of this thread is a 3 saw plan, but one really should never fuel or sharpen in the woods/landing, and cold weather hasn't been factored either. Therefore:
Ported 346XP for most use but a 550XPG for colder weather or backup for fuel/sharpening, (see above) Ported Jred 2159 and 562XPG, again cold weather contingency. 372 XPG for cold weather and Dolmar 7900 for bigger stuff.
288 XP Lite, for biggest stuff. (Still in shop awaiting porting) School me on this CAD thing again.

Ha, who would hand file when you can just grab another saw? Honestly come on! :rolleyes: Also the weather here gets cold but i could only justify a heated handle saw for maybe 1 month to 2 months max of the year. Might have to look into that! ;)

I have a 9.5 saw plan right now counting the toys. I could easily see it becoming a 20 saw plan in the future.
The 261 in my sig is technically Dad's so my wholly-owned 3 saw (work)plan is :
1: MM'ed Husky 562xp - 16 & 20"
2: Stumpbroke 372xp - 16/20/28"
3: (Being Masterminded as we speak) Dolmar 9010 - 16-36", primarily 28 and 36" with a 32" bar being about ideal from a balance perspective.

If I randomly picked 3 saws that impressed the hell out of me?
1: Husky T540xp - 14"
2: Either a Dolmar 6100 or Husky 262p - 20", the Husky is lighter and better handling, but the Dolmar has torque on tap so it's a toss-up
3: McCulloch 797 with any sang bar you want to run on it - The SP125 has more torque, but the 797 is a genuine blast to run and will pull .404 with authority and NOTHING sounds like a pissed-off Mac clearing it's throat.

Newer saws?
1: 550xp
2. MS461 (CMR version would be amazing)
3. 395xp

There are way too many good, better and amazing saws of all sizes, past and present to pick ONLY three. After running some of the old vintage Iron, I'd love to have a 797 or an 090 in the barn to run when the SHTF and BIG trees are down. I love the A/V and modern carbs from a daily use perspective. That Said Grandpa's old Mac 35 usually pops on the 2nd pull and starts on the third even if it's been a year in between attempts.

Ha, who would hand file when you can just grab another saw? Honestly come on! :rolleyes: Also the weather here gets cold but i could only justify a heated handle saw for maybe 1 month to 2 months max of the year. Might have to look into that! ;)

Once you run saws with heated handles in the colder weather, you won't buy another without the feature, trust me on this.:rock:

Besides, what is the justifying thing? Do you have to ask your Mom/Wife?:popcorn:

Don't have any of the above, guess I'll keep slummin' wit what is on hand?

I kinda like my 4 saw plan, with my small saw being similar to Locust Cutter's.

My ported 362 w/20" bar is perfect for fast limbing and light bucking.

My 2 10 mm 044s are at the next level and don't seem to need porting. I keep a 20" on one and 24" on the other. They are light enough to limb with and strong enough to do most bucking, and are great for felling were the terrain is uneven and you don't want to lug a heavier saw. If I could only keep one saw, one of these would be it.

My ported 046 is a beast. It is noticeably heavier than the other saws, but for felling and bucking large tough trees, it is great. I keep a 24" bar on it, but I thinking of getting something bigger, it will certainly handle it (it is almost always in wood larger than 24"). When the big trees are down (30 +/-) this saw saves a tremendous amount of time with the bucking. I would have to be cutting some really big stuff before I would consider the additional wt of a larger saw worth while.

Some people prefer a wider cc spread in their lineup, but these saws nicely handle the majority of what I cut nicely. My lineup had redundancy in case I hit a rock of nail in the wood, I can just change saws and keep going. It works for me.

Cousins? Sorry I had to do it. I'm not biased it just worked out this way. Mayby if other saws fit all my bars I would feel otherwise.
View attachment 330930

That's mine if I'm getting into big wood. Cept my 26 is ported, I highly recommend it! Definitely helps lessen the gap to the 440 and allows you to bury the 16" bar no prob.

For most of my cutting, I tend to take the 260 and two 70cc saws. One 70cc with a 20", the other with a 24" bar.

It's hard not to take more than 3! Last tree I cut was a big dying silver maple for my neighbor. My buddy and I had all kinds of saws out there. I think we ended up running 7 saws that day and 3 of them were his.

Current three saw plan:

028 WB with a tecomec 46 mm p/c ported and muffler mod
036 magnum muffler mod
2171 Thanks Clint great saw

Ideal plan (maybe)
026/260 or 346XP leaning toward the Husky
441 CMR I am dying to get my hands on one/ It will have to be tough to bet 2171
661 CMR/ PS 7900 Wish list

Latest posts

Back