• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell 3 Sthil MS290s for sale

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mx1007

Reaction score
***Current picture is only for reference and is not actual item but is very close condition wise, camera on my phone is currently not working (software issue I think) (please read description) and I'm working on getting pics up asap, Thanks*** Hey guys I'm new to the site but been surfing around on here for little while. I used to run a tree cutting and lawn care business in PA for little while till had to shut it down for various reasons. Getting into new trade and cleaning out some of my equipment (more will be posted soon). At moment got 3 Sthil MS290's for sale, I'll try to get pics up but camera on my Galaxy s4 isn't working (common problem), even if I can get front facing camera to work I'll get some pics up or use a friends phone, till then I'll accurately describe them to the best of my ability and ask any questions and feel free to shoot me a offer, there located in upstate NY near Guilford, NY 13780 if like to google distance to you, I can ship if buyer pays shipping cost or we agree on a package deal or if your close feel free to message me and meet up at a public place to check them out, I prefer to keep them together and do a PACKAGE DEAL for all 3, and only at moment accept Money Order (so you can also track) and in person purchases. I will ship with tracking as well so you can confidently track your purchase.
Anyway, #1 ms290 mechanically is in Excellent condition and is powerhouse for 56.5cc (I believe) saw I don't have particular brand I go for but his one honestly rips, and I was very happy with its performance. I don't have a compression tester at moment but its compression is excellent, just pulling handle and running she feels excellent, starts, idles and revs up excellent. Plastics are good, 18'' sthil bar is good, chain is good but could use sharpening. For the bad the handle has light crack in it, only fault I can find anywhere on it.
#2 & #3 Ms290's the Plastics are very good, handles very good, no cracks or anything like that. Both have 18'' bars and chains could use good sharpening. Both need carb and idle tuned, they both start and run but little harder to start (compared to #1), and need to keep finger lightly on gas to keep running, pretty sure just carb and idle adjustments needed but cant be positive, however both will start and run and nothing major or any BS like that. #2 & #3, don't seem to have as much compression as #1 but still seem good (keep in mind #1 is excellent and power house imho for cc's), so without a compression tester at hand that is best description I can honestly say, but shoot me a reasonable offer on the description of them as listed, they are sold as is, however I am a honest seller and value my reputation so if there not as described to the best of my ability I will offer a refund or work with buyer based on that so feel confident on purchasing these saws. Don't need to sell but I currently run coal for heat and for moment am out of tree cutting business and no time to mess with the saws so shoot me a offer on all 3 (preferable) and see if we can get them a new home. Happy Thanksgiving everyone, hope yours was good. sthil ms290.jpg sthil ms290.jpg

Welcome to AS:hi:.
Pictures, of your saw will go a long way. I think those pictures are of a saw I once owned, or they at least look like a saw I owned;). People like to see what they are buying as excellent condition and cracked handle don't seem to be congruent to me.:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:.
Compression #'s help as well as pictures of the piston and also get the price up.
Most people on this site do not think any home owner saw rips;), let alone the smallest one in that family of saws.
You have no reputation here at the moment so we don't have much to go on.
If you have an ebay account, member on another forum, pictures of the saws with todays date written on a piece of paper in the pictures, or any other thing that would help in the area of reputation that would greatly help the sale.
Good luck with the sale.
Hope this helps,
Brett

Thanks for reply, suggestions and welcome. I'm working on getting pictures up asap as I noted that picture is just of the same model with similar wear on bar/plastics for reference till I can get pics up. When I say "rips" its in accordance to the model, category and cc's of the saw which I figured wouldn't need explanation on arborist site, however I was fairly impressed with it for its own category. I've used a fair share of both small and larger professional saws from a small Echo cs-341 (33.4cc) which I still got to ms660s n several husky XP's, I was fairly surprised how fast #1 rev's n goes and compression feel when starting it (though haven't done compression test for exact #). And I stated in excellent mechanical condition in reference to motor, plastics etc with the noted exception of cracked handle, sorry for any confusion. I know it doesn't take long, but to be honest I really don't got time to hardly sleep at moment let alone pull the saws apart for pics of pistons etc, if I did I'd probably just use #2 or #3 for parts saw to fix handle on #1 and tune and/or rebuild other plus have good parts saw on stand by if ever needed or have nice project to work on and leave them on shelf in garage for future use. However I just started a shop manager position at new start up auto shop and I'm lucky to get enough time to sleep let alone anything else and don't see using or needing them any time in near future so if anyone has decent offer with above mentioned conditions in mind to take these off my hands throw me a offer or PM (if site has PM?). To be honest I'm not positive what these are going for used at moment haven't had chance to do much research, I know ms290 was replaced with ms291 and prices I've looked at seem to very a lot even for similar conditions, is why I'm mainly looking for offers and didn't post a asking price at moment, if I see a offer that seems reasonable I'll take it and as soon as payment is received I'll ship them out and immediately give tracking # to new owner and stay in touch throughout the process, payment will be to my home address not some p.o. box or anything else, which is located in upstate NY. I currently don't have a active ebay account to add to the site (used to years ago but was shut down due to inactivity), so I guess its just trust system however there's no BS here, and personally I cant see some one making a scam for some used ms290's lol maybe "big new expensive 1000$ + saws" or something like that but not some used ms290s with conditions listed........ The saws are for sale locally as well I figured I'd just list them here as well to speed up sale and give everyone here a chance to get them if interested. I'll work on pics in mean time, if they don't sell locally first or don't get a reasonable offer here first when taking pics I'll include my name and the date on a piece of paper next to them, thanks for the suggestion. Again I appreciate your time reading and responding to my add. Thanks Giving is over hopefully everyone's was good and everyone got home safe = ). ***Also like to hear just based on conditions read what everyone thinks is decent offer??? Say simply all 3 have good plastics and 18" bars, #1 has excellent motor (compression n tuned) however cracked handle, other 2 saws good plastics, good bars, good chains (though could use sharpening), and need tune up and or rebuild not sure, they both run but harder to start and definitly atleast need to be turned. Whats a decent offer off top of your guys heads? Thanks, I appreciate it everyone.

Point taken, but doesnt look like he minded,nor would anyone benefiting from what was said.
Better than a:buttkick:.
Wowzers they are big posts.....l was gonna say a pic tells a thousand words.
I didn't have any pictures so I used a thousand words lol.
To the OP in excellent physical, mechanical condition they sell for about 300 on craigslist way less here especially when no one knows you. I would expect low offers such as 50-100 as it stands; no pictures, no prior post, no refrences, no, no, no.
I could say more but won't for now, still looking for a picture :hi:

I tried to sell a 029 here with lots of photos and video for a month. And never sold. Locally took two contacts and got what I needed out of it.
Just a friendly suggestions don't get discouraged for lack of interest here. The 290 / farm boss is a good seller but usually just local sales and Craigslist ect

I agree, and you probably had been on the site longer. Craigslist is a great place to sell a homeowner saw, and you will get a lot more out of it as well.

In this market, the MS290 in good condition brings $225 to $250. With a handle crack maybe $200. The other saws would also sell for that if running properly. May be worth to sort them out. For non-runners, I pay $50.00 if they're complete. If a saw isn't running completely normal, I need to see the piston to ensure it's not scored. If I can't, then it's a $50 saw (to me) even if it "sorta" runs.
Your best bet is to sell them locally because shipping will add too much to the cost.

Well, it was long winded for several 290 saws. Not exactly the best of Stihl saws, though they sold more of them than any others when they were available. I have had a few of them myself, and they were OK for falling and bucking, but they had high vibration and they could not really be modified other than to open up the muffler some. I had a whole series of 310 saws that I liked better, less vibe and more power, a better jetted carb, but in the end they still could not beat a stock 034/036/360/361/362, and that was the 310, never mind a 290. And of course there was the earlier model 029, which was a real dud of a saw, and completely gutless. I had one 029 that I tried to modify and I could not get it to do anything, so I sold it on CL for cheap. Also, I am not sure about what the conditions of the saws posted in the OP above, or the condition of the sale and the update posted later. Skimming through, it seems to be a meandering post, and nebulous at best. And of course he is (or was, if he has now flown the AS coop) a noob, so who would trust him for a saw sale on this site? And for some non-portable throw-away weenie homeowner (what the Troll would call boat anchor) saws? You would think that this was another post from the venerable Brush Ape. Or Brush Apes, if you believe like Gologit does that he is not just a singular person with a multiple personality disorder, but a group of individuals that has evolved over time on Arboristsite to become "the" Brush Ape, or the Brush Ape collective, under the guise of many many login IDs here. Of those, I like Brush Ape Everlasting, and Yogi Brush Ape. Of course, maybe this three saw 290 offer is the deal of the century, and these are the best examples of chainsaws to be had in the great state of New York? Hard to say. Sometimes deals come along here on the AS sales lists that are too good to be true, and are. Some deals are the real deal though, and they are really good saws. I have a box of 021-250 saw parts that I should list here on AS and sell, because I am never going to buy or run a 1123 series saw again. I also have a box of 026-260 saw parts that I have to list as well, along with an 026 engine case that I have in a box that is never going to be used. I sold off all my other stuff, along with my 441 locally, as that saw was not that much better than my set of beloved MS361 saws. Am I getting too long winded here? I feel that this is sort of like therapy though, and I can see why the Brush Ape, The Goat, and White Spider all get off by posting such long winded sermons on AS all the time. I can just type and type and type and let it all out, and feel so much better. I mean, why not? May as well let the demons out. Then I can be ever so nice to the old lady, and maybe get laid tonight, you know what I mean? I guess that this reply is long enough to post now and get my point across. So I will leave it here. For now. Maybe. I mean, I can always post some more, right? It all winds up being saved on some server someplace, stored forever, unless the site gets hacked again and the posts and threads are all lost. Which in this case might be a good thing, but what the heck. I forget now, but was this post about set of three 290 for sale?

***Current picture is only for reference and is not actual item but is very close condition wise, camera on my phone is currently not working (software issue I think) (please read description) and I'm working on getting pics up asap, Thanks*** Hey guys I'm new to the site but been surfing around on here for little while. I used to run a tree cutting and lawn care business in PA for little while till had to shut it down for various reasons. Getting into new trade and cleaning out some of my equipment (more will be posted soon). At moment got 3 Sthil MS290's for sale, I'll try to get pics up but camera on my Galaxy s4 isn't working (common problem), even if I can get front facing camera to work I'll get some pics up or use a friends phone, till then I'll accurately describe them to the best of my ability and ask any questions and feel free to shoot me a offer, there located in upstate NY near Guilford, NY 13780 if like to google distance to you, I can ship if buyer pays shipping cost or we agree on a package deal or if your close feel free to message me and meet up at a public place to check them out, I prefer to keep them together and do a PACKAGE DEAL for all 3, and only at moment accept Money Order (so you can also track) and in person purchases. I will ship with tracking as well so you can confidently track your purchase.
Anyway, #1 ms290 mechanically is in Excellent condition and is powerhouse for 56.5cc (I believe) saw I don't have particular brand I go for but his one honestly rips, and I was very happy with its performance. I don't have a compression tester at moment but its compression is excellent, just pulling handle and running she feels excellent, starts, idles and revs up excellent. Plastics are good, 18'' sthil bar is good, chain is good but could use sharpening. For the bad the handle has light crack in it, only fault I can find anywhere on it.
#2 & #3 Ms290's the Plastics are very good, handles very good, no cracks or anything like that. Both have 18'' bars and chains could use good sharpening. Both need carb and idle tuned, they both start and run but little harder to start (compared to #1), and need to keep finger lightly on gas to keep running, pretty sure just carb and idle adjustments needed but cant be positive, however both will start and run and nothing major or any BS like that. #2 & #3, don't seem to have as much compression as #1 but still seem good (keep in mind #1 is excellent and power house imho for cc's), so without a compression tester at hand that is best description I can honestly say, but shoot me a reasonable offer on the description of them as listed, they are sold as is, however I am a honest seller and value my reputation so if there not as described to the best of my ability I will offer a refund or work with buyer based on that so feel confident on purchasing these saws. Don't need to sell but I currently run coal for heat and for moment am out of tree cutting business and no time to mess with the saws so shoot me a offer on all 3 (preferable) and see if we can get them a new home. Happy Thanksgiving everyone, hope yours was good. View attachment 464338 View attachment 464338

Can I send cash through the mail??

Can I send cash through the mail??

Sure you can. Same as money orders. That way there is absolutely no assurance that you will get the saws that way. You can trust him. He has 2 posts on AS! And he is from New York! Only the most honest and trusted people live in New York! And its here on the internet! Everything is true on the internet! Right?

And hey, I have a Nigerian friend who's father was a tribal king, but he was just deposed by the evil Islamic militia. If you open a bank account with say, $500 in it and send then joint access to the account, they will deposit $1,000,000.00 dollars worth of Nigerian Naira into your account, and you will be a millionaire overnight! Trust me! It must be real, or I would not get 300 spam emails from Nigeria every day. I mean, its on the internet, right?

Sure you can. Same as money orders. That way there is absolutely no assurance that you will get the saws that way. You can trust him. He has 2 posts on AS! And he is from New York! Only the most honest and trusted people live in New York! And its here on the internet! Everything is true on the internet! Right?

And hey, I have a Nigerian friend who's father was a tribal king, but he was just deposed by the evil Islamic militia. If you open a bank account with say, $500 in it and send then joint access to the account, they will deposit $1,000,000.00 dollars worth of Nigerian Naira into your account, and you will be a millionaire overnight! Trust me! It must be real, or I would not get 300 spam emails from Nigeria every day. I mean, its on the internet, right?

For your reading pleasure... (funny Nigerian scam stories)

http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/

Latest posts

Back