3 wall stainless stove pipe.....horizontal???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS-310

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I would like to know if you can run 3 wall stainless flue pipe horizontal out of an indoor wood stove. You know for 3 ft it cost about 60 to 70 bucks... I need to do this cuz of im only 14" away from floor joist with single wall.

Thanks alot

Jack

I think you can get away with being that close to the joist with black pipe, you just need to shield the wood joist. I just used an unwrapped length of black pipe and screwed it into the joist above the stove pipe. This summer I am going to get some actual sheet metal and small box channel to hold the shielding off the wood, but the way it is now seems to be working just fine.

I would like to know if you can run 3 wall stainless flue pipe horizontal out of an indoor wood stove. You know for 3 ft it cost about 60 to 70 bucks... I need to do this cuz of im only 14" away from floor joist with single wall.

Thanks alot

Jack

:confused: I guess I'm confused!

I'd like to contribute but I'm having trouble visualizing your setup. Is this a two story house? Please beat me with a stick if I'm missing something obvious here!

Mine is in the basement and exits out the thru the poured concrete wall...so it has to exit the wall higher than if it where on a main level so it can be above the ground. To get the pipe to exit above ground, it has to get closer to the floor joist than is recommended.

Thanks alot

Jack

A couple of things to consider, first see if you can get the specs (clearance recc's) from the manufacturer's site (or talk to a knowlegable stove installer). Ease of access for cleaning is a consideration too as any horizontal pipe will have crud building up especially on the outside, so you may want to consider a T (with access plate) rather than an L piece to connect your main upright chimney, easier than taking it apart to clean imo.
Personally if there was enough wall above ground I'd rent a 'Can-Go' and go through the concrete even though I'm sure 3wall insulated pipe would be safe temp-wise (isn't there stuff called 'zero clearance'). I'm not an expert by any means just tossing in my 0.02$ for the morning, good luck and let us know what ya end up doin'!
A helpful link for you (maybe)> http://**********/what/installstove.html

:cheers:

Serge

Last edited:
Ok guys,

It comes out of the "add on" to black pipe about 20" then I want to put an tee on then go to my thimble in my flue, my thinmble is about 14" to the bottom of the joist. JUst learning thanks alot

Ok guys,

It comes out of the "add on" to black pipe about 20" then I want to put an tee on then go to my thimble in my flue, my thinmble is about 14" to the bottom of the joist. JUst learning thanks alot

According to the Hearth link above (pretty good reading on that site btw)you'll need 'interior' double wall class A (stainless inner pipe) for the clearances you're talking about, I'd think about a sheet of asbestos board hung below the joists as well just for piece of mind.

:)

My whole smoke pipe is stainless inner with a standard outer, available at Menards, even have an adjustable one for odd lengths, it runs behind my gas furnace, clearance is 1" to the painted sheetmetal, and no discoloration, never too hot to touch, clearance to 100+yr old framing, 16", hardly even gets warm.

It runs on a 20* slope and no problems with buildup.

Yea I was hopeing that I could just run the triple wall from the tee to the flue,(horizontal) Im thinking it wont be an problem with fire its just my home owners is a pain to deal with.

Back