30-36" bar on a Stihl 038 Magnum (for Alaskan mill)?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWSlabMan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Guys - I'm getting ready to pick up a Stihl 038 Magnum to use with my Granberg MK-IV 36" Alaskan mill, and I was wondering what the max bar size is I can use (with a good rip chain) for milling. The Stihl 038 Mag I'm looking at has a 24" bar, but I bought the 36" mill so I could occasionally do bigger slabs. Just wondering if the 038 will work with a bigger bar or if I'll have to move up to something like a 440 Mag or Husky 372xp (both of which are a lot more $). In case it matters, I'm doing a mix of wood types, but mainly hardwoods like walnut, cherry & apple. Thanks!

Your 038 should do about as well as the other two saws mentioned. How well that is all depends on how patient you are.

Like said above it will do it. The 038/super/mag have a lot more grunt but not the chain speed of the 044/440 so it should aid you in milling. Take your time, keep your chain sharp and let the saw run the show, don’t push it.

Latest posts

Back