30 inch oak.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice!! Love me some big chunks of oak and spending time with family is a bonus.

Nice! Standing dead my favorite. I took one down on Thursday, unfortunately it was live so the rounds are heavy as ****.

I cut this tree two years ago for a family member. I've taken six loads already from this one tree and there's at least two left.

View attachment 452851 View attachment 452852 Finally got to play with my new 660 and the Fiskars. Me and my son got 3 loads like this in today.

How well is the fiskars splitting the big rounds? I've just started splitting the big rounds on a 30inch oak and my 8 pound maul just keeps bouncing right out. Im only making slow progress by noodling and using wedges. Maybe i should let it season a bit and try later? Ive been thinking of getting a fiskars though cause of all the good things ive been hearing about it.

How well is the fiskars splitting the big rounds? I've just started splitting the big rounds on a 30inch oak and my 8 pound maul just keeps bouncing right out. Im only making slow progress by noodling and using wedges. Maybe i should let it season a bit and try later? Ive been thinking of getting a fiskars though cause of all the good things ive been hearing about it.

Start at the outside and work your way in. Just go round and around. Also check the edge on your 8lber, they need to be sharp. The fiskars should come sharp when you get it, but might need just a scosh fine tuning before you use it. I don't think they ship as sharp as they used to, not the ones I have seen at the store lately anyway. I also use teflon spray on my axes and mauls, helps a bunch, right after resharpening, a quick blast on both sides. Helps them penetrate better and not stick. The fiskars has a factory teflon coating but it wears off, it's only 4 bucks for a can of the pb blaster brand teflon spray at home depot, good for several cords or better. Plus around the house. We have old single pane wood windows, used to stick, freaking bear to open and close, some teflon spray on both sides, one hand easy opening now. Amazing stuff.

The big wood is my favorite. A lot of wood for a lot of work.
0689e1cac8057a72a85a9289f3f030fe.jpg

Only a 20" bar. But gives some scale to a big piece of wood. It's hard to capture the scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is some nice looking Oak. My favorite is also the standing dead Red Oak. Here on my property way too many of the big Reds are dying, I assume from an Oak Wilt. The White Oak almost never die, and the few Chestnut Oak are thankfully not being affected.

Anyway, I just finished up a nice big Dead Red as the first tree of my 2015-16 season and started replenishing my stacks.

Measure.JPG

This one also about 30" at the base, with a bit of a burl on the one side there.

I cut it down and bucked the bottom with a Dolmar 6100 with a 24" bar,

Bucked the top ¾ with a Dolmar 510 with an 18" bar,

money shot.JPG

I "field dress"; splitting where they fall, and hauling them to my stacks with 4 wheeler and a relatively small cart to minimize the trail damage in my woods.

Grain Inspector.JPG

I find this straight grained Red Oak splits so nicely, I was able to split this 22" round into 16 relatively equal pieces without a wasted strike, or even having to reset the round. I took this picture of the nice round spread of splits:

Splitting Rose.JPG

But once the diameter of the rounds gets much above 24", I end up having to halve them with an old hardware store maul first so I can even lift them on top of another round for splitting with my fiskars.

Halving.JPG

Always working under the supervision of my partner, and Director of Security.

I've had no problem splitting by hand with my Fiskars x27. Here is my first stack from this one. The Moisture Meter reads about 38% now, and I usually find it drops about 2%/month once split and loosely stacked.

Stack.JPG

Good start on next year's firewood.

Nice pile of wood out of one tree. That 6100 pulls that 24" really well! Didn't sound like it ran short of power one time. Pretty impressive for a 60cc class saw buried in oak

Enjoyed your photos and video Jere as usual, thanks. I also have a relatively new 60cc(echo 600p) saw that is the perfect compliment to my 50cc(husky 353) saw for those up to 30" trunks. Your 6100 sounds like a screamer ^5s.

Back