30+" Piece of Cherry vs. 27 ton splitter - video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokee

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As I'm ramping up the cutting/splitting of a large cherry tree in my backyard that was cut down by a tree service company I came across this large piece that needed to be split. I didn't think the 27 ton splitter I inherited from my FIL would have any problems with it.

[video=youtube_share;BG3tKS1lndQ]http://youtu.be/BG3tKS1lndQ[/video]

Last edited:
How long was the set up? I am thinking the fiskers may have been faster.

That big of cherry would have been a better saw log.

If you have a mill, or can actually get someone to show up and buy the darn thing and haul it. Made me sick this year to turn some of the nice big straight oaks, cherry's and walnuts into firewood length rounds but no one's buying them these days here.

That cherry Smokee was splitting had beautiful heartwood.

If you have a mill, or can actually get someone to show up and buy the darn thing and haul it. Made me sick this year to turn some of the nice big straight oaks, cherry's and walnuts into firewood length rounds but no one's buying them these days here.

That cherry Smokee was splitting had beautiful heartwood.

I found some guys that cover all of N IN and pay pretty good, and will pick it up. I don't get any commision or anything but PM me if you got a few of logs to get rid of. Some wood pay more or less than firewood but they pay enough to take it in logs with no splitting or stackin involved.:msp_thumbup:

Got a notice saying my account was suspended. I have no idea why, never upload any movies or anything like that. Not sure what's up but sent them an email asking why. I guess I'll hear back tomorrow.

Where I live about 2 years ago I had some clear cherry and oak that
a friend suggested that I sell for sawing. I called 3 or 4 places. Nobody wanted it. They all said if they were taken from a residential property that they danger of hitting metal and damaging a blade was too great. I also know that about the same time, my brother had a bunch dropped by a tree service and they talked him into letting a broker take it in an effort to lower his bill. He only got a few hundred for the triaxle load that it filled. I know it was very profitable to do this, years ago. Maybe it has changed back recently? As far as I know, it is worth more as firewood.

Back