30 ton splitter input

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountryBoy72

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello everyone, looking for a new splitter an this is the two that I am looking at ; Rick Darche Sales - NEW!
Never heard of them. Are they any good ? Good components ? Comes with a GX Honda motor. Reasonably priced. Not many gas powered hydraulic splitters available where I live. Controls are not in a highly desirable position but, can live with them . Only other splitter to compare to this one is a SurgeMaster 20 Ton. The first one is cheaper an has a 6.5hp GX honda motor, the SM has a 5hp GC Honda motor. Thanks Clinton

26HVGC-L HORIZONTAL / VERTICAL SPLITTER Surge Master - Wood Splitters

The first one sure looks like the northern tool splitter that I just bought. Works real good. Haven't been able to stick it yet. Runs along time on a tank of gas. If they're not the same splitter I'd be surprised. Mine cost 1599 if that helps.

I don't think 30 ton would be overkill. We have a 20 ton MTD and we have found a few pieces it would not split. Of course, they were really knotty and crotched pieces. I wish I had more power splitting sycamore as well. The sycamore we split did not have any knots or anything and still had a little trouble, it got the job done but could of used more power.

The first one sure looks like the northern tool splitter that I just bought. Works real good. Haven't been able to stick it yet. Runs along time on a tank of gas. If they're not the same splitter I'd be surprised. Mine cost 1599 if that helps.

I agree on the first, does look exactly like a NT unit. Never heard of the second one.
I have a neighbor with the NT 37 ton unit, he is very happy with it.
I'm not too enamored with the mounting system shown on the second splitter. Just doesn't look as sturdy as a full beam support.

1890.00 For the first one. Can get a light kit, wing blades to make it a 4 way splitting head. I asked if there was a fender kit too. Guess if I get it I will see what name comes on it. Farmermike you got any pictures of your splitter. Especially of the controls. Do you find it top heavy when you flip it up to split vertical ? Can you stand on either side an operate the splitter, when its horizontal ?

4.5 " bore @ 3000 psi is 47,714 lb's of force. I would like to know where the get 30 ton or 60,000 lb's of force.

You should also look at wallenstien splitters, I think there is a Kubota dealer up in Nanaimo and for around 2 grand you can get into a nice splitfire, I have the name of the distributer in maple ridge if you like, ferries and time might kill that deal though if you have to make a special trip

Ditto on the 30 ton being a norther tool splitter. I looked at that splitter and decided against it. My reason was the slower cycle time which is around 15 seconds if my memory serves. Forget about the 4 way wedge on the splitter also. It does work, but the best splitter design for a 4 way wedge is when the wedge is on the rear of the splitter and not the push cylinder. This allows the 4 splits to exit the splitter by simply falling off of the end. If the wedges are on the cylinder, the bottom splits have no where to go as the cylinder pushes the wedge. Because the wedge is forcing the bottom splits against the I-beam and thus putting force against the wedge as it travels to the end of the beam to finish splitting. It's a very simple law of physics. "If body A puts a force on body B, body B puts the same force in opposite direction on body A".

I just checked out the Surge Master splitter and the shipping weight caught my eye. Its only 320 lbs. Compare that to the NT splitter which is 600lbs. I'm not a fan of the honda gc engine, I had one and got rid of it. The honda gx is the small engine of choice for reliability and performance. Subaru also makes a great small engine. If I were in the market for a new splitter I wouldnt settle for and other engine other than a Honda or Subaru.

I'm not familiar with NT but I'm pretty sure MTD is the manufacturer. I have a 27 ton MTD which I inherited from my Father inlaw and I love it. Looks exactly the same... Honda engine and all. I use it in the vert position and shimmy up close to a 3' diameter piece of cherry and it splits no problem. I never had anything that it didn't split. The one that I have is sold at Home Depot for $1299. I'd save the $700 and go without the extra 3 ton. Like I said, I'm impressed with what it can do and never got stuck.

The surgemaster is 400lb. It looks identical to a wallenstein , except that its painted green. HD in Canada uses the SM as there rental units. I rented it an it had no problem splitting 33" Fir. The fir was stringy an knotty , no problems. Checking in to the Wallenstein's , they appear to be at least a $1000 dollars more.

You are right! 30 ton could be overkill, also may not be enough. Splitters that are measure in "tons" are what most people look at. I can crank out close to 30 ton on my splitter, do I need to, no. The force is only half of the equation, the other is the wedge. With a good knife wedge a say "20 ton" splitter could outperform a "30 ton" with a bad wedge. Yes cyl size and pressures are important but you need to also look at the other end of the splitter as well.

Back