30mph winds -7 degrees (hedge night) what you burning?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hupte

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Oak and ash mixed with some junk leftover pine tonight, with a big hickory ugly to drop in for a night log.

I rarely burn just one species.

I concur. I got a load of coals in there now, will let that burn down n throw some ash mixed with some locust and a chunk of maple or other dead standing stuff that I cut.

It is ZERO out now with low of -16 tonight. Wind is blowing like a mad man and suppose to stay cold for a few days.

I try to keep similar btu output woods together ie straight oak, solid maple/birch, ash and second grade maple, then softwoods last.

Cold nights get a full load of the biggest rounds that I can shove in. Largest on bottom row then next largest on second and third row and shove the smallest ones around and on top until I can't fit any more.

We've got a "cold" day tomorrow, school was called off already tonight in anticipation of the weather.

People are such wimps these days. I had three or four cold weather days in all of my school years together. And they all came in the record cold winter of 96'. We had -60 actual temp (not with windchill added) one of those days a few miles from me. Now THAT'S cold.

my friend in the air force is stationed in minot ND he told me it was -8 and the windchill is around -39 and the base is locked down because of the severe temps blowing snow.

my friend in the air force is stationed in minot ND he told me it was -8 and the windchill is around -39 and the base is locked down because of the severe temps blowing snow.
Blowing snow out there in the plains is a pain. My friend went to UND. He said he had to shovel a 4' drift just about every morning during the winter to get his car out of the garage.

We've got a "cold" day tomorrow, school was called off already tonight in anticipation of the weather.

People are such wimps these days. I had three or four cold weather days in all of my school years together. And they all came in the record cold winter of 96'. We had -60 actual temp (not with windchill added) one of those days a few miles from me. Now THAT'S cold.
good day to sit in looking out! out of the 8x16 foot ice house drinking a frosted cold one eating fresh caught crappies... what say you?

i lined my outside shed walls with hay to keep me warm in the winter and im in there now not a bit of insulation and its about 67 in there. its 16 outside wind blowing about 20 mph with light snow. this feels pretty mild compared to last winter lol

I remember those days... Tower, MN wound up with the state cold record. Embarrass, MN had their thermometers break or they may have held the record we hit -42 or something that year.

oops, forgot to actually post my temps and what im burning. its currently -8 outside, 74 inside. got a nice load of ash in the stove. thats the majority of what i burn. seems to be plentiful and easy to process. i do burn burr oak, ironwood, and elm from local woods. my tree service provides me with other stuff like pin oak, hard maple, some apple and misc hard stuff. for the softwoods i mix up boxelder, soft maple, hackberry, walnut, spruce, pine, and strange other ornamental trees that look promising.

The cold hasn't got here just yet, still not much wind and 20 degrees. But the glassed in porch is loaded with osage, honey locust, and post oak.

Back