30mph winds -7 degrees (hedge night) what you burning?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i got a late 70's ashley coal stove no secondary burn or anything but on mild weeks like 30-40 degrees it will hold a fire for 16 hrs with all the air cut off.
im feeding a lot of air to keep my old house warm.

We had a "King" circulator while growing up. Probably same design.
Great "all-nighter" with a huge firebox but very inefficient.

It was down to 8* here last night and my house is nice and warm... I'm burning popple with a little pine mixed in.

I just moved a half cord to my basement window a few days ago... (I just love the way my firewood boxes work!)

standard.jpg

My better half threw the half cord down, a few days ago...

SR

The snow that fell yesterday was really neat - it was like piles of microscopic mirrors. Last night the barn lights at a distance were reflecting off of it in a way I don't recall seeing before. If you looked across the yard it was just millions of twinkling, flashing sparkles. And the sky was crystal clear with an almost full moon too. It was a good night to be out, and pretty nice to come back in with the stoves cranking too.

They're calling for -16 to -20 tonight, 15+mph winds.

Burning almost all sugar maple, with a bit of red maple and cherry for coal control. Sugar maple coals stick around forever and when it's this cold, they don't put out quite enough heat

Wow...after reading these temps/wind chills it makes our forecast for 20 as the low and a wind chill of 8 to 13 seem like a walk in the park. Stay warm fellas!

Supposed to get down to -6 here central ohio tonight.
I'm burning ash mixed with ash thanks to the EAB. Next year I should have a little more variety from dad's mostly red oak woodlot that was logged this year.
The hot blast is doing its thing; eating wood and keeping the old house at 72. Beats eating fuel oil:)

6* now supposed to drop to -8 tonight, coldest temps of the year.
I'm burning from a stack thats holding Shagbark, Red and White Oak, Yellow Birch, Ash and Sugar Maple.

We're at a balmy 18° with winds gusting to 28 here in dirty Jerz. Winds chills forecast to drop to -15. Burning anything I got. Some oak, some trash. But wood identification is a skill I need to work on. I wonder if the county college has a course in that? Maybe I'll buy a book.

15 now with decent wind still, going down to about 5 here I south Jersey. Have a mix of pine, one chunk of red oak and a few pieces of old punky maple in the owb. 74 inside.

4 degrees outside winds blowing at 15-25 mph house is 75 degrees and im burning black locust,red oak and shagbark hickory.

The snow that fell yesterday was really neat - it was like piles of microscopic mirrors. Last night the barn lights at a distance were reflecting off of it in a way I don't recall seeing before. If you looked across the yard it was just millions of twinkling, flashing sparkles. And the sky was crystal clear with an almost full moon too. It was a good night to be out, and pretty nice to come back in with the stoves cranking too.

On those clear nights you can see that Lovejoy comet really well.

I don't know how you mid western guys do it. I really don't. Temps that are considered brutal out here by me are *fair condition* to you guys what with your negative -50+ degrees working there and that's before the wind gets factored in! Damn....you can keep that!

Good morning its 19* here in South East Georgia and I stuffed the heater down with a combo of oaks before I left for work. Red, Pin and Water to be exact.

Burnin ash. I don't like cold weather but THIS cold I HATE! And to think that many of you have it worse than I do here in NW Ohio.

Back