311 sthil clutch side bear failure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddstopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I bought a blown 346xp today from a guy and when he brought it to me, he also brought a ms311 sthil. Saw had no B/C, but it looked almost new. We decided to crank it up. Well it would fire and run for a sec and then clunk and die. We got to looking and seen that there wasnt a clutch on the saw so we removed the cover. You can grab the crank end and move it quite a bit by hand. Its a clamshell saw and if a new bearing and seal is all thats needed, then it would be a easy fix. The thing that really bothers me is this saw looks like it hasnt had a tank of gas ran thru it. So why would a bearing fail so quickly. The other thing I worry about is the clamshell where the bearing goes, is this screwed up. He asked me $30 for the saw, but I told him I wouldnt touch it until more research on my part. Without removing the cyl, I dont know of anyway to tell if there is more damage inside, besides the bad bearing and seal. I usually dont work on sthils and have never worked on a clamshell saw, so a little edumacation is needed here.

XXXX XXXXXXX
XXXX XXXXXXX RD.
Fort Wayne, IN 46809
USA
Date Purchased : 08/15/2011

Primary Use : Homeowner

Ultra Warranty : Yes - Expired 08/14/2013
EWP : None

I knew it was at least a 2010 as it had one of those epa stickers on it dated 2010. I have discoverd that after market parts are almost non exsistant for this saw. My concerns about buying the saw is will it be worth the cost to fix. Dont know OEM part cost and dont know what caused the bearing to fail. While the bearing seems to be intact so parts probably didnt pass thru the engine, I do wonder how much damage could be done to the bearing saddles and how much raw air ran thru the cyl. I do know it would need bearings, seals, clutch, spur, clutch bearing, possibly a complete topend or at the least a new ring. the part and labor cost could be as much as the saw is worth.

Back