3120 088 880 084 vs 125

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an 088 and a sp125 and these are the differences I found. The Stihl hits higher rpms, but is easier to stall. The Stihl has a better anti-vibe than the Mac hands down. However. The mac will pull a 4 foot bar just as well or maybe a little better than the 088. The Mac also has a superior oilier system. Air filtration is a lot better on the Stihl. They both weigh about the same. I enjoy running both saws equally as well. Last but not least, the sp125 sounds awesome!

The 084 that I have is about the same as the 3120. The only 125 I ever ran was like holding a Yamaha 125 dirt bike in your hands. Lots and lots of torque, scary, but what a rush.

I have an 088 and a sp125 and these are the differences I found. The Stihl hits higher rpms, but is easier to stall.

I have only run the 125 and it never ceases to amaze me with its torque.

The Stihl has a better anti-vibe than the Mac hands down.

That's normal with the more modern saws

However. The mac will pull a 4 foot bar just as well or maybe a little better than the 088.

I have buried a 5 footer on my 125 and it just keeps throwing chips. It can be stalled, as ANY (stock) saw can, and it shore is fun trying to find its limits.

The Mac also has a superior oilier system.

Do you mean the auto oiler or with by using the auxillary oiler?

Air filtration is a lot better on the Stihl.

I clean the filter bw every tank on my 125. It's not much of a filter. I guess that is a testament to just what these saws can withstand

They both weigh about the same.

That is to say about as much as a holstein calf.

Last but not least, the sp125 sounds awesome!

I find any reason I can just to listen to it run.

The 084 that I have is about the same as the 3120. The only 125 I ever ran was like holding a Yamaha Thumper in your hands. Lots and lots of torque, scary, but what a rush.

Fixed it for you....

I liked running rwoods mac 125. I've got a 3120 that will hopefully make it today. I thought the 3120 and 084 are the strongest out of those modern saws.

While I can't say anything about a 3120 or an 084 since I haven't run either one, I can tell you about my experiences with the others. First off, the my Mac sp125c is a brute. It weighs the same as the 880 but runs about half the rpm, and as was said earlier, it doesn't give up much of that at all. It's very hard to pinch a bar with a 125 as it behaves more like a trencher designed for wood. Slow, steady and won't work up much of a sweat. I have run 28, 36, and 50 inch bars for it and now just keep the 50" on it. That being said my 090 will pull a 60" bar better than the 125 will a 50" bar, but I suspect thats just the difference in engine size.

I was disappointed in the stock performance of my 880 and promptly had it Slingerized. When it was stock it was disappointing with a 36" a bar and it didn't seem to have a great deal of chain adjustment for the 60" bar and sure didn't have the power to pull it. As soon as the bar bas buried it would stop that saw dead, as soon as you pulled away from the wood it would rpm like mad. I now keep a 36" lightweight bar on it and use it for big face cuts or fast bucking and stumping of big wood.

I do think my stock 088 has more speed and cut better than my 880 had, but I ported the 880 before I got my 088 so I never ran them side by side. I like the 088 a lot but won't run anything bigger than a 42" bar on it since I don't like to run a lot of chain whipping around at very high rpm. High rpm is better for the 36" and under bar lengths, for long bars slow torque cuts much better and is a lot safer for the operator and saw.

Actually I think a Dolmar 166 might be good to compare as well so at some point in the next month I'm going to try to make a video comparison in oak, redwood or cedar with an 066 with 36", stock 088 with 36", ported 880 with 36" and Dolmar 166 with 42" bars. I probably wont do the Mac 125 or 090 since they are in a class by themselves.

125 is a beast. 3120, 088, 084 have faster chain speed. The 084 has a rock solid connecting rod.

Do you mean the auto oiler or with by using the auxillary oiler?

I like the design of the auto oilier. They are made to last the lifetime of the saw. Just had to replace the one on my 088 which set me back $113.00.

Stinkbait noticed at one of our GTGs that his 125 looked to be faster than my 3120. in 30" white oak.

He had the advantage of adjustable carb. And I think maybe a bit better chain..
Seemed like he was running a chisel 3/8 and I had a semi chisel .404

Thanks for the input. I have always been curious about how these legendary saws stack up against the new stuff. I do know that with a 36" 3/8 set-up, I just about have to pull up on the rear handle like I'm doing a deadlift to stall it in pecan.

The 076, and 084 both really impressed me in big wood. Buried em and they just chugged through with ease. Never run a 880, or mac 125. We have a 3120 at work run, and service it, but never had it in wood yet. I am impressed with the feel, and design. Just running it in your hands you can tell it is a horse! A power house. I have always heard the legends of the 125, but don't forget the 750 homelite!

I've never heard of a Stihl 780 however the Brazilian Stihl market may have a modern version of the 076 called a 760.

Latest posts

Back