3120 or 090 better for milling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosss

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Thoughts on pursuing an 090 or getting 3120 for milling.

I already have an jonsered 2095 I use for milling, so looking to use the larger saw on larger logs.

They would probably want about the same for a used 090 in real nice shape as a new 3120. I'd go with the 3120. That being said. I called my local Husky dealer and told him I had cash in hand and wanted a 3120 with 24", 36" and 60" inch bars for milling. He said he didn't stock 3120's and it was almost closing time, could he call back tomorrow with a price. I said sure. In the meantime I started looking for a second Stihl dealer because the closest one said he had to order an 880, and since he had to order it he couldn't discount it at all for cash. Next day the Husky dealer forgot to do a price check and asked for one more day. So, I found the next closest Stihl dealer and he had 2, 880's and 5-6, 660's on the shelf. The next day the Husky dealer still hadn't got me a price so I drove about 20 miles to the new Stihl dealer. The 660's with a 36" bar were on sale, so I decided to save $1000 and got the 660. Since I was paying cash he knocked another 10% off the sale price, gave me the 25" bar half price and threw in the 25" chain free, plus a 6 pack of quart bottles of synthetic mix and a gallon of bar oil free. He's the only dealer I use now. I probably got the Husky guy when he was short handed or something. The shop has a great reputation. But the Stihl dealer had the products and gave me a decent deal. I told him I planned on milling with the saw and he said that did not void the warranty. However, the 47" bar I wanted would void the warranty, so he said come back in a few weeks and he would take care of me on that too. So, I guess more important than which big saw you get, is where you get it, Joe.

I agree with RF - If you need something in teh short term it's usually about the deal you can get.
Optimized specifically to cut the same size log (090 will use lower rakers than the 3120) the 090 will outcut the 3120.
With the 3120 you have the advantage of lighter weight, better parts availability.

Dave "The Chainsaw Guy" sells NEW 3120XP's for $1399 SHIPPED if you deal with him directly through the AS website

And $1399 + $99 shipping through eBay.

I bought one from him through eBay last August, before I was an AS member, and before I knew that Dave was an AS Member, shipping was $89 when I bought mine from Dave.

My 3120XP arrived in Excellent shape and everything was as it should be when I got it., Last I looked on eBay, Dave had already sold 40 3120's and had a 100% Positive feedback rating on over 3,000 transactions, that's the kind of seller that I like to buy from, and I was not disappointed in my purchase from Dave, Great Saw, at a Great Price.

I bought my 3120 planning on milling with it, but just got my milling gear last week, and got things put together over the weekend, so I haven't tried any of it out yet.
My 3120 did get broken in last fall on a 32+" Douglas Fir, and it went through that like a hot knife through Butter.

Doug :cheers:

rarefish383 wrote:

and since he had to order it he couldn't discount it at all for cash.

I have Never understood this kind of thinking, Especially if you are putting down a deposit or prepaying, where the Dealer KNOWS that you will be buying, and not back out, leaving him stuck with some slow moving product.

I don't know what kind of mark up there is on a High End saw, but it must be substantial, the MSRP on a 3120XP is $1799.95 PHO, and Dave "The Chainsaw guy" finds it worthwhile to sell them for $1399 SHIPPED, if you buy from him through the AS forum, +$99 shipping through eBay.

It sounds to ME, like there is a LOT of meat on that bone to offer a CASH discount, on an item that is already sold when it is ordered, and wont be taking any shelf space, just sitting in the back room still in it's box until the customer picks it up. I would imagine that most shops would Love to have those kind of sales all day long, how much easier does it get for a retailer?

And then you are buying at least 3 Bars, and how many chains for those bars as well? even WITH a modest CASH discount, you had to be looking well over $2500 out the door, and I'm sure that estimate is LOW.

Doug :cheers:

I only need one 3120.
I talked to my dealer. It looks like if I put an order together for a few 3120's I can get an excellent deal.
I could offer the others up here for $1290 shipping included.

This would be a one time thing.
Pm if your interested.

For what it is worth, I have an O90AV I purchased a while back off of CL for a steal (1500.00) in near mint condition with a piston that looked like it just came out of the factory. That being said, I am aware parts will be hard to find not only now but increasingly so in the future.
So.......last year, I ordered an 880 from my local Stihl dealer. I buy a fair amount of stuff from him (bought a big Ariens snowblower about 5 years ago), get some chains sharpened there, oil, parts, etc. I asked him for the best deal he could give me. Orig retail was 1889.00, and I got it for 1725.00 with extra chain, gallon of bar oil and a pair of anti-vibe gloves. Price included 41" bar, too!
My take away is that these folks have the power to flex the price quite a bit if they like you and you return the favor with regular patronage. I also think it depends on how successful they are in general sales. He sells Graveley, Ariens and Echo as well. He is the only guy around for about 15-20 miles.

Latest posts

Back