316 or 316L SS Plate Heat Exchanger?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

November Wolf

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I need to get a water to water heat exchanger and have found a big difference in price in what seems to be the same thing. I am looking at a 30 plate heat exchanger from the local Central Boiler dealer and his price is $312.00. I found one on ebay that is $189.00. It looks likes the only difference is the more expensive one is type 316L stainless steel and the cheaper one is type 316 ss. Does this make much difference at all. They both are the same size 5 x 12 and 1 inch ports.

Just from memory, I dont think SS denotes a common modification of basic 316 alloy. 316 L usually means a lower carbon content and resistance to corrosion at weld boundaries. Do both exchangers have the same construction and rating as to BTU exchange and pressure drop? I would think the difference in material cost should not cause that difference in price if construction is identical.

Link to 18 8 stainless alloys http://www.bosunsupplies.com/StainlessInfo2.cfm

My manifold on my boiler is 1 1/4 so would it matter if I used a heat exchanger with smaller ports like 1" or 3/4"? I have five zones in my house that are all 3/4 and just wonderd if that would be a bottle neck at the heat exchanger. I just want to make sure before I buy something.

Latest posts

Back