32" bar suggestions for 390XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason280

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently picked up a Husqvarna 390XP, with plans on running a 32" bar. Any suggestions on a 32" bar, I'm currently looking at Tsumura lightweights, Sugihara, and Oregon PowerMatch....any reason not to spend the extra money on the Tsumura or Sugihara?

I recently picked up a Husqvarna 390XP, with plans on running a 32" bar. Any suggestions on a 32" bar, I'm currently looking at Tsumura lightweights, Sugihara, and Oregon PowerMatch....any reason not to spend the extra money on the Tsumura or Sugihara?
All of them will do fine, I like Sugihara, but they're not really all that lightweight. Oregon has the softest steel, but the best longest lasting sprocket tip. The best lightweight bar on the market is the Stihl bar, which can be used with on the 390xp with a spacer.

Is there really that much weight difference between the bars?

Ended up going with an Oregon PowerMatch bar, found a deal on eBay for the bar & Oregon chain shipped for $90. I'll probably go ahead and order a standard chain, just to see how much difference there is in normal hardwood.

On that note, Carlton, Stihl, or Oregon branded chain?

Ended up going with an Oregon PowerMatch bar, found a deal on eBay for the bar & Oregon chain shipped for $90. I'll probably go ahead and order a standard chain, just to see how much difference there is in normal hardwood.

On that note, Carlton, Stihl, or Oregon branded chain?

What do you mean by standard chain? I have found Stihl chain to hold it's edge the longest, so that's what I use most of the time.

Full tooth, non skip....the chain that is coming with the bar is a full skip.

Normally on 32 on up to 60 I’ll run a semi skip, full house or comp isn’t an issue either. Most of the time we run Oregon it’s easier on the grinder stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine wears an Oregon Power match 32 inch. Awesome combo. I doubt that you will need skip or semi-skip chain. I'd go full comp (unless you are cutting at high elevation).

JQ

Myself I prefer the semi skip just for the fact is sprocket size and chain speed. Most of the time you can run an 8 pin sprocket so there’s less slack in the chain to worry about it’s personal preference.

Myself I prefer the semi skip just for the fact is sprocket size and chain speed. Most of the time you can run an 8 pin sprocket so there’s less slack in the chain to worry about it’s personal preference.

Do you find skip and 8 pin wears faster than full comp and 7 pin? Is there any difference in cutting speed? I'm running full comp on my 42" bar and in some trees i have to back off every now and then to let it clear chips so am thinking might first try a skip or semi skip and then an 8 pin rim.

When you say slack are you talking about the transition from bar tail to rim? Even on the trees that don't clear chips well, I haven't noticed any problems with a 7 pin rim so keen to learn. Thanks.

My vote would have been for the tsumura 32” light and tough if weight is an issue. I couldn't afford a lightweight bar option for the 42” sugi and it does get tiresome wrangling that bar all day. As an aside, has anyone else noticed how much wider the sugi bars are compared to tsumura? I was wondering if it would mess with my hinges but they have been consistently terrible for years so no real change. I really like the sugi shape now I've tried one.

Do you find skip and 8 pin wears faster than full comp and 7 pin? Is there any difference in cutting speed? I'm running full comp on my 42" bar and in some trees i have to back off every now and then to let it clear chips so am thinking might first try a skip or semi skip and then an 8 pin rim.

When you say slack are you talking about the transition from bar tail to rim? Even on the trees that don't clear chips well, I haven't noticed any problems with a 7 pin rim so keen to learn. Thanks.

My vote would have been for the tsumura 32” light and tough if weight is an issue. I couldn't afford a lightweight bar option for the 42” sugi and it does get tiresome wrangling that bar all day. As an aside, has anyone else noticed how much wider the sugi bars are compared to tsumura? I was wondering if it would mess with my hinges but they have been consistently terrible for years so no real change. I really like the sugi shape now I've tried one.

I haven’t found it wearing any faster then a 7 it’s the tail is closer to the sprocket so I end up with less vine maple and chip build. When I said slack I’m talking actual chain slack you have more adjustment from day one you’re less likely to have to break the chain to pull a driver out as they stretch.

Thanks.to be honest I'm going to have to ponder that chain slack thing some more BC unless it's a bar/driver count that's kinda in-between, my currently sun frazzled brain is struggling to understand. I'll get there, just very slowly.

Latest posts

Back