Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi gents,
Found a good .325 bar in dad's shed.Was going to try it on my 038 or 044 as I have never used a 325 chain before.
But i can only get a 9 pin standard (7/8"ID) locally.
Is this 9 pin an over kill for the job or will it drive ok?
Thanks in advance,Chris.

I would think you would have enough power to pull that bar. My husky 450 has a 18 inch .325 with whatever the sprocket is, 7 pin maybe. You have probably another 3ish hp over the husky.

It will work fine. My neighbor has 2 husky 359's, one has 3/8 chain the other .325 with a 9 pin rim, he bought the last 2 new ones around years ago and they came this way, if they're both sharp they cut up fire wood at the same speed.

What files do you use with .325. 3/16?

Yep, 3/16. It'll work to run 9 pin .325 on those saws. May not be a setup you come back to, but it will function. It'll be fun for limbing. Won't hold an edge for long compared to the bigger cutters of a 3/8 chain turning at a slower speed like on a 7 pin.

So can you get a 7 or 8 pin standard spline rim or only in small spline?
Oregon maybe?
Can only find 9 pin here down under GB or Jakmax.

The size of splined hole is big enough that you can't fit less than nine pins around it. The 7 and 8 pin rims only come in small and stihl's "mini" spline rims. And I don't know on the driver link count, but going from 72 to 73 might be a good guess.

Bingo^^ the OP has little choice other than a 9 pin should he want to run .325 on a large saw with a standard spline clutch drum. If it were a small saw with a small spline he could drop down to a 7 or 8pin. Just run the 9 pin and make sure chain ain't too loose, it'll be a zippy limbing setup!

Thanks gents.
Only cut fire wood so would use it for the smaller heads of the tree.
The above Oregon numbers say standard spline which I thought was 7/8ID.
Correct me if i am wrong-most times i am lol.

Running a 3/8 with 8 pin atm on the 044 and cuts great.
Cheers,Chris.
Thanks eric.

.325x9 with produce about the same "gearing" as 3/8"x8 - so it is down to the number off teeth in the wood, and how much resistance each tooth produces.

With an 18" bar on a 70cc saw it should work quite well.

Hi gents,
Found a good .325 bar in dad's shed.Was going to try it on my 038 or 044 as I have never used a 325 chain before.
But i can only get a 9 pin standard (7/8"ID) locally.
Is this 9 pin an over kill for the job or will it drive ok?
Thanks in advance, Chris.

That's an universal issue, not just a local one.

Back