327PT5S pole saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Modern Marvel

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to get away with completing all my jobs without the aid of a pole saw and have been successful for quite some time now. Since a friend of mine usually let me borrow his, I was able to get those jobs done for my customers but my friends is currently in the shop for repairs. So I figure while I have the money and since needing one for over a year, now is a good time as any. Our local husqvarna dealer is offering me a sweet deal on a 327PT5S that's hard to refuse and since have demoed this model and love the extended reach. Any tips and advice before I make my purchase would be very helpful. Thanks.

Don't buy it. They make awful cuts and break easily. Learn how to climb and make a proper cut. IMO.
I know how to climb I've been climbing 4 over 10 years now if I was able to climb these trees I wouldn't need a pole saw.

[QUOTE="Zale
Well for one, the customer doesn't want them spiked he's terrified that it's going to hurt them and the main reason is where I have to get out to and make my cuts there is no way that the limbs would be able to support my weight climbing it or a ladder and my weight leaning against it.

Gas pole saws can make jobs go faster (simple raising the canopy comes to mind) but must be used in the proper situations. I have the one (I think) that you are looking at and I like it. Pole saws are prone to getting caught in cuts, bending the shaft and breaking. Parts, especially the shafts are expensive. The handle where the throttle and off switch is located is a pain to put back together.

Learn how to take care of trees first. Then learn how to climb.

If spikes a ladder are your go-tos, you don't know how to care for trees or climb. Your customer is correct...you shouldn't be using spikes for pruning jobs.
Yeah I am by no means a veteran climber I know the basics but that's about where my knowledge is currently. I'm always eager to learn more. The guy who taught me just retired but is a old school climber and he was climbing up till now in his 60's. the customer is essentially the boss so he wants them done with a pole saw I've been needing one and I really like the one I've been looking at (327pt5s)

Gas pole saws can make jobs go faster (simple raising the canopy comes to mind) but must be used in the proper situations. I have the one (I think) that you are looking at and I like it. Pole saws are prone to getting caught in cuts, bending the shaft and breaking. Parts, especially the shafts are expensive. The handle where the throttle and off switch is located is a pain to put back together.
Yeah I have a 327ls string trimmer that has the same identical handle and on and off switch As the pole saw that I'm looking at I had to replace the off switch on the string trimmer one time before and it was a nightmare but I have it down now because I believe once you do it once shouldn't have a problem with it again. It was just difficult for me because I have study fingers and trying to get that stupid switch on the Gide rail it sits in was the most difficult part.

Yeah I have a 327ls string trimmer that has the same identical handle and on and off switch As the pole saw that I'm looking at I had to replace the off switch on the string trimmer one time before and it was a nightmare but I have it down now because I believe once you do it once shouldn't have a problem with it again. It was just difficult for me because I have study fingers and trying to get that stupid switch on the Gide rail it sits in was the most difficult part.
I'm not that good. It's just a pain with the wire in that slot, throttle cable in another slot, nothing getting pinched, put the halves together, throttle cable binds, take it all apart, start again. AAAAAArghhhhh.

The Husky Pole Saws Suck!!

Your Friend's is in the shop for a reason.

We had to replace the shaft on one that was nearly new, & now we own a PPT-280 ECHO.

There is no Comparison: go buy the ECHO.

The Husky Pole Saws Suck!!

Your Friend's is in the shop for a reason.

We had to replace the shaft on one that was nearly new, & now we own a PPT-280 ECHO.

There is no Comparison: go buy the ECHO.
I don't understand why so many people on here are so presumptuous, his is in the shop for repairs because the idiot he had for a helper ran it over with the trailer that would kind of break any pole saw don't you think. To clarify all pole saws are a bit finicky because of the operating chain and bar are cutting far from the operator the other end. Also you're cutting above your head so chances are you're not on top of the limb making a direct cut after making an undercut which results in the limb being cut hinge down and pinch the bar and chain. Not to mention, the entire machine is made to flex on every pole saw especially when extended at full length. And I've operated many echo pole saws they are the biggest piece of trash I have ever encountered for a pole saw. Husqvarna is better than echo in every way shape and form no matter how you look at it. but we'll save that for another thread this was for as stated in the thread title.

I don't understand why so many people on here are so presumptuous, his is in the shop for repairs because the idiot he had for a helper ran it over with the trailer that would kind of break any pole saw don't you think. To clarify all pole saws are a bit finicky because of the operating chain and bar are cutting far from the operator the other end. Also you're cutting above your head so chances are you're not on top of the limb making a direct cut after making an undercut which results in the limb being cut hinge down and pinch the bar and chain. Not to mention, the entire machine is made to flex on every pole saw especially when extended at full length. And I've operated many echo pole saws they are the biggest piece of trash I have ever encountered for a pole saw. Husqvarna is better than echo in every way shape and form no matter how you look at it. but we'll save that for another thread this was for as stated in the thread title.

I'm going off my experiences, as well as the experiences of many other local guys.

The shaft connections on the Husky's are a known problem.

Lighten Up Francis.

I'm going off my experiences, as well as the experiences of many other local guys.

The shaft connections on the Husky's are a known problem.

Lighten Up Francis.
All brands have bugs they have to work out of every model that is new especially nowadays because of left-wing government forcing them to run cleaner because let's face it they don't care if the machine gets burned up or even will cut a twig. I'm going off of my experiences and locals experiences in my area as well. And I apologize for coming off that way, to gain respect you must give respect and I apologize.

All brands have bugs they have to work out of every model that is new especially nowadays because of left-wing government forcing them to run cleaner because let's face it they don't care if the machine gets burned up or even will cut a twig. I'm going off of my experiences and locals experiences in my area as well. And I apologize for coming off that way, to gain respect you must give respect and I apologize.

This True.

The government didn't have anything to do with the Chitty design of the connectors: I'm not certain about the 2017 models, but 2 years ago, the replacement shaft was the same as the original.

This True.

The government didn't have anything to do with the Chitty design of the connectors: I'm not certain about the 2017 models, but 2 years ago, the replacement shaft was the same as the original.
To my understanding all of the 2017 models lot of issues were fixed for the good and I have been told that the model I'm looking at getting is standing right now with a gigantic lead over the other models of which I think there are a total of three or four all of those underneath are not all that different from each other maybe just the length they extend out to. A big price jump as well. And as a matter of fact I really don't even like running a pulse all and if I don't have to you can bet I won't but for some crazy reason I seem to end up needing one, whether a customer demands it or what ever the case is but our a lot of other useful things I could be spending his money on but I think it's going to help me in the long run handy dealer is giving me one hell of a warranty which is the offer I mentioned any opening thread I can't refuse.

To my understanding all of the 2017 models lot of issues were fixed for the good and I have been told that the model I'm looking at getting is standing right now with a gigantic lead over the other models of which I think there are a total of three or four all of those underneath are not all that different from each other maybe just the length they extend out to. A big price jump as well. And as a matter of fact I really don't even like running a pulse all and if I don't have to you can bet I won't but for some crazy reason I seem to end up needing one, whether a customer demands it or what ever the case is but our a lot of other useful things I could be spending his money on but I think it's going to help me in the long run handy dealer is giving me one hell of a warranty which is the offer I mentioned any opening thread I can't refuse.

Pole Saws are handy when they are available & can reach.

I understand your situation: hopefully they have rectified the issues already mentioned, but I would talk to someone who has the new one before buying one, even at a great buy.

Literally less than 15 tanks when our issue happened to an otherwise mint machine.

No misuse, no Abuse, the plastic cable/shaft connector just broke.
$125 later, an almost new pole saw was back in use.

It hangs on the wall now & my PPT-280 goes instead.

Pole Saws are handy when they are available & can reach.

I understand your situation: hopefully they have rectified the issues already mentioned, but I would talk to someone who has the new one before buying one, even at a great buy.

Literally less than 15 tanks when our issue happened to an otherwise mint machine.

No misuse, no Abuse, the plastic cable/shaft connector just broke.
$125 later, an almost new pole saw was back in use.

It hangs on the wall now & my PPT-280 goes instead.
It's possible you guys could have gotten a unit that had a factory defect on the part that broke sometimes you can get a bad unit altogether and either is good for nothing but the trash can or will continue to have problems with it and keep having to dump money into it repairing it. I myself have ran into problems with other brands like this and know people who have had similar problems where nothing is misused or used improperly and for whatever reason it broke if it is just a bug they need to fix sounds like something that they would just need to reinforce the strength of that part. And that was the idea of this thread I posted in hopes that someone has had this particular model but no luck yet.

1st consider the newer battery husqvarna 536li PT5 pole saw 5 metre of reach similar if not less weight or the Stihl HTA 85..
i used both and completely convinced battery pole saws are the go.. The 300mh battery will out last your days work and with no engine maintenance fuel carby clutch starter cord etc etc or noise and fumes so less fatigue.... oh and no EPA motor noise restrictions means work early morning.. go test one all who have reckon wow same if not more power/torque no pole shaft hassles less weight more reach...

husqvarna-cordless-pole-pruner-536lipt5-10_1.png stg-500x350.jpg

Back