33 inch Tanoak and the Old Stihl 048

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Dill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have had my eye on this log for some time now. It was cut in late in January, possibly early February. It is a 33 inch [butt measurement] Tanoak (Lithocarpus densiflorus). It is really good firewood and the largest one I have tried so far. I have a larger one I will get soon that was cut at the same general time. The Fiskars splitting axe split it with no problems. God bless LogRite, Dodge and Cummings!

Take a look.

I only wish my Fiskars axe worked that well. It's great for small pieces <10". But just lacks the weight to bust apart stuff bigger, or anything that is very fiberous. I use a #8 maul or my 15lb splitting maul for the bigger stuff.

Nice piece of wood!

I only wish my Fiskars axe worked that well. It's great for small pieces <10". But just lacks the weight to bust apart stuff bigger, or anything that is very fiberous. I use a #8 maul or my 15lb splitting maul for the bigger stuff.

Nice piece of wood!

For referrence, I hhave the Fiskars Super Splitter [splitting axe]. Although they say 4 pounds I weighed the axe and mine is 6 pounds overall. My only complaint is the shorter handle, but I am used to it now. It is a very versatile axe/maul and has taken a beating so far. I have 12 cords split by it now, plus I use it when falling trees.

For the large stuff I look for the stress crack in the center. I make a mental line extending it to both edges. I hit each edge then the center. Usually it has already busted open by this time, but if not I fill in the blanks. I admit these took 5 hits apeace to pop open.

Last edited:
Nice pictures. Looks like that oak splits pretty easy.

It can be a bear to pop open. Depends on what woods you are used to splitting? It is about 3 times harder than maple, and equal to the red oak I split when staying in North Carolina. I do not know about the larger diameters of red oak. these were just 10-16 inches.

Latest posts

Back