33 outside 74 inside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allstihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
just added the morning load to the fire.im burning 2x scrap and uglies which should last till about the end of nov, then ill get into the good stuff.got to thinking about all those without heat due to sandy.seems to me that there is a certain mindset commen to woodburners, especialy amongst those that harvest their own wood.now wouldnt the world be a happier place if everyone heated with wood.

Good for you using the scrap!

I don't think a lot of the NYC/jersey coast/inland sandy victims are in a position to burn wood in apartments or their houses. those that can, are, I would guess.

I like wood, stored solar power! It stores up the summer heat and releases it in the winter!

For emerency have to stay warm in an unheated place, with zero way to get any additional heat, setting up a camping tent in the living room works well. Drag a mattress or couch cushions inside there, done. Body heat will work. Or cobjobbing a tent, like blankets and whatnot over the table.

Such a simple thang. Light 'er up and she burns. Never fails to blow my mind, though. It's the primitive cave man connection. This is just the way a human is hardwired. Some never realize what it is.

I have about two cords of scrap left over from the house build, pine, cedar, oak, walnut, cherry & Hemlock.....it's all going to get stuffed in the stove.

I have about two cords of scrap left over from the house build, pine, cedar, oak, walnut, cherry & Hemlock.....it's all going to get stuffed in the stove.

that's nice! I burned a lot of the scrap wood here let over from the tornado damage rebuild, both the new lumber scraps and some of the ancient heartpine the cabin was built from. Talk about seasoned wood, that was some good stuff!

Such a simple thang. Light 'er up and she burns. Never fails to blow my mind, though. It's the primitive cave man connection. This is just the way a human is hardwired. Some never realize what it is.

yup! people get lazy, reliant on Oil then the business men go and jack up the prices and people continue to pay, so greed takes over and the prices go up and up!

The last thing people want to do is cut down trees, split it up, break a sweat, stack it, and then WAIT. Far to much work for today's common man. Unfortunately....

NOT FOR US HERE ON AS!

I was reading a thread by a "highly respected poster" earlier today. He essentially said "I have a good paying job and don't have to cut wood any longer". I wasn't totally surprised. The "only poor people heat with wood" mentality seems pretty prevalent. We have NG heat in the house. We don't use it. It's not a money issue. Both the Mrs and I like cutting and splitting wood, and enjoy the heat it furnishes us. Something most of those city/apartment dwellers are ignorant about. They choose the lifestyle and the requisite neighborhood to live in, and pay to go to the gym for their exercise. Their loss, IMHO.

BTW, it was 30 degrees here this morning in central USA. We had a little fire going in the airtight. 76 inside, and we had a couple windows cracked to let some of the heat escape.

I was reading a thread by a "highly respected poster" earlier today. He essentially said "I have a good paying job and don't have to cut wood any longer". I wasn't totally surprised. The "only poor people heat with wood" mentality seems pretty prevalent. We have NG heat in the house. We don't use it. It's not a money issue. Both the Mrs and I like cutting and splitting wood, and enjoy the heat it furnishes us. Something most of those city/apartment dwellers are ignorant about. They choose the lifestyle and the requisite neighborhood to live in, and pay to go to the gym for their exercise. Their loss, IMHO.

BTW, it was 30 degrees here this morning in central USA. We had a little fire going in the airtight. 76 inside, and we had a couple windows cracked to let some of the heat escape.

--we don't have to either technically, I can get propane delivered whenever the boss has the huge tanks filled, it would cost me nothing. BUT, I enjoy cutting the wood, it is good exercise, we have tons of woods here and not much in the way of a propane refinery. I can stockpile the wood as well, and me not going through a tank and a half a winter is a nice compromise with my boss, he cares not how much diesel I burn getting wood out or cutting trees off his land. so, one full tank stashed for emergency use (want to get a propane genny), and lotsa stacked wood now! It's cheaper for him and a double win for me.

The only thing I would brag about energy wise if I was richer and made more money and could buy in my heat would be if I was both rich and smarter and built such a good superinsulated house it wouldn't NEED any additional heat. Having to run anything, natgas, propane, fuel oil, electric or even wood is pretty old school low tech. Superinsulated/passive solar, etc..works. Takes skull sweat and effort, but it works most places, even in northern climes. I know how to do it, but not in a position to do it.

You see some of the designs these kids come up with, just amazing.

U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon Home Page

A true wood heat warrior burns everything from the tree. Waste not, want not. :D

I hear ya... if I cut it, it ends up in the stove eventually. Don't matter what it looks like, it all burns and it's all heat. Even the brush gets used. Brush makes for fine kindling and starter wood.

Read an article in the local fishwrapper recently... said 2% of the population heats with wood. Strange how the least costly method is the least used.

Fossil fuel heat is convenient to be sure. But every convenience comes with a cost. Sadly, many folks today have never experienced the warmth of a wood burner. They grew up with gas or oil heat and it's all they know. It's a holdover from the days of inexpensive heating fuel.

For me it's all about the comfort of heat from a wood stove. I have an OWB that is plumbed into a forced air system in my house. I personally hate forced air heat. I like my living room hot and the upstairs cool. Days like today I still run the wood stove in the living room for the radiant heat. It's nice to walk in from outside to a really warm room. Right now it's about 80 in here and I am loving it.

Mid 40s here right now, been nursing a whopper of a cold all weekend, I've got the temp up to 80 in here - about 10 degrees hotter than I normally like it, but it feels good to me right now. I've been tossing a chunk or 3 into the stove every few hours.

The downside is that I haven't cut a stick of wood all weekend, but I'm starting to feel more normal now, and might get a few hours in before work tomorrow to make up for it.

Were I rich, I'd still be burning wood. There are few things in the world that feel better than backing up to a warm stove for a quick thaw after a day of working or playing out in the winter wonderland. Most people I know claim they'd go south for the winter if they struck it rich, I'm not one of those people (except maybe a week on a warm sandy beach for a midwinter break).

Fried a bearing on one of the Quads blowers, and have been on the Propane for 3 days. It sucks.
Thinking about running off of one blower, but as soon as I get things back together and a fire going, the parts will show up and another vaccum marathon will begin. :bang:

The wife has already complained about the "Goofy heat" that isn't really warm, and too warm in the bedroom when sleeping.

I ain't liking it either. Normally our slate floor(Thermal mass) keeps the temps nice and even, but running the furnace dosn't have the same effect for some reason.

Wood heat rules, at any cost. Period.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

If I struck it rich I'd move farther north. ;o)

Yeah, no kidding.
If the wife and I hit the big powerball, we are buying the eastern half of the U.P., scrapping the bridge and building a fence.

Already got the details worked out.:laugh:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

30 outside, 75 inside, this is an "ugly" fire. Been burning uglies for two weeks, just about out and have to start into the real stuff. That's Nilla my wood buddy enjoying the warm fire.

HotDog.jpg

i heat with wood by choise.i can afford oil but dont want to use it.i love to be in the woods with my saws.my water comes from a well. my waste goes in a septic tank.im in control of the in and out of my life.im no preper but im preped ( generator gas guns ammo firewood) just a way of life for me .i feel like im in control of my existance.

Yeah, no kidding.
If the wife and I hit the big powerball, we are buying the eastern half of the U.P., scrapping the bridge and building a fence.

Already got the details worked out.:laugh:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

You may get a little flack from some of the "upstaters". But good luck anyway. It pays to think big. ;o)

Latest posts

Back