• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

33RM Chain loops?

lamby66

lamby66

ArboristSite Lurker
Hello, I am having a heck of a time getting Stihl 33RM loops for my saw. I contacted 2 local dealers (in Milwaukee) one had no idea what I was talking about and only had RS and RS3 chain. The other dealer said " we only sell "green chains, we don't sell those dangerous yellow chains"

So any idea where I can get some 84dl loops of 33rm shipped? Only one I found on ebay was 84 for 3 chains, which seems high and I only want 1 or 2 loops.

Thank you all in advance

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

atpchas

atpchas

AtA
Used to ebay those $15 delivered.
If stihl dealer can not get those there is a supply problem? Is there?
Just outta curiosity - A full reel of 33RM made into 84DL chains is 19 loops. At $15 per loop, that's gross $285 - now deduct at least a few dollars per loop for shipping and whatever ebay was subtracting. Where were you getting, and what price, reels of Stihl chain at a price to make that possible?

ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
Just outta curiosity - A full reel of 33RM made into 84DL chains is 19 loops. At $15 per loop, that's gross $285 - now deduct at least a few dollars per loop for shipping and whatever ebay was subtracting. Where were you getting, and what price, reels of Stihl chain at a price to make that possible?
Maybe 20 years ago?

Get people that whine about firewood costs... "in the 70s we sold wood for $80 a cord"

I whip out the inflation calculator... ok... so that's $300 in today's $$... so you were saying?!

Mad Professor

Mad Professor

Addicted to ArboristSite
This was 20 years ago, I still have a box full of chains stashed. 16" 26 RS/RM, 20" 25" 33 RS/RM. A guy was selling 5 chains/$75 delivered

Mad Professor

Mad Professor

Addicted to ArboristSite
Maybe 20 years ago?

Get people that whine about firewood costs... "in the 70s we sold wood for $80 a cord"

I whip out the inflation calculator... ok... so that's $300 in today's $$... so you were saying?!
I sold cordwood $35/cord delivered, early 70s. I remember a lady whining when I would not stack it for her at that price

lamby66

lamby66

ArboristSite Lurker
Well this went a little off track..

I know there was a lot of stuff cheaper in the 70s but I just wanted to know if someone had a line on some 33rm chain in 2020

My dealer that did not know what it was, was able to order me a couple loops. Hope to have it soon.

Mad Professor

Mad Professor

Addicted to ArboristSite

I know there was a lot of stuff cheaper in the 70s but I just wanted to know if someone had a line on some 33rm chain in 2020

My dealer that did not know what it was, was able to order me a couple loops. Hope to have it soon.

Your dealer must be a buffoon!!! :buttkick:

svk

Saw Hoarder

I see one loop on eBay for 32.99 shipped.

You might want to check out Oregon VXL chain, it’s very similar but less expensive.

I can check my fleet supply but I’d bet with shipping it would be more than 32.99.

lamby66

lamby66

ArboristSite Lurker
I see one loop on eBay for 32.99 shipped.

You might want to check out Oregon VXL chain, it’s very similar but less expensive.

I can check my fleet supply but I’d bet with shipping it would be more than 32.99.
Thank you for the recommendation.
I am not sure it matters all that much, but I have about 4 loops of 20" RS chain and wanted to keep the same files between them (I use one of those 2 in 1 files). Maybe others here know of the difference between the 5.5mm stihl file and 7/32 standard file would be on these different series chains. Would that 1/64" matter at all?

Mad Professor

Mad Professor

Addicted to ArboristSite
I am not sure it matters all that much, but I have about 4 loops of 20" RS chain and wanted to keep the same files between them (I use one of those 2 in 1 files). Maybe others here know of the difference between the 5.5mm stihl file and 7/32 standard file would be on these different series chains. Would that 1/64" matter at all?

I've been using 33 rs for years. Usually use 7/32" files as 13/64" usually ony at $tihl dealers. I don't use a pferd file guide though, I hand file. Main difference will be gullet and top plate angle. A 2 in 1 file might also effect raker height.

svk

Saw Hoarder

I don’t think the 1/64” matters. I’ve always used 7/32 to sharpen my Stihl chains.

MontanaResident

MontanaResident

A Stihl Fanatic
I don’t think the 1/64” matters. I’ve always used 7/32 to sharpen my Stihl chains.
1/64 over doesn't matter for me. 1/64 under can create a serious hook. Cuts great but dulls fast. I don't even think about it anymore. I just grab them both and use the one that matches up the best based on the state of the chain.