33RS chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While there is no 1:1 equivalent, the 72LG is most comparable.

One thing I have wondered about is the Oregon numbering system... at least the Stihl system has some rhyme and reason to it. Does anyone have the decoder ring to figure the Oregon numbers out?

On a Oregon chain package I think the number on the front of the package denotes the drive link count.
70 series = true 3/8
90 series = 3/8 low profile
20 and 30 series = .325
40 series = .404
V = Vangaurd chain, low kickback
LG = full chisel
LP = full chisel with bumper drive links
CL = square file full chisel
There is lots more, I cant think of it right now though

huskyman just gave you the lowdown

want more - just email oregon and they will send you their "maintenance & safety manual". their chain cuts just as quick (if not even quicker out of the bos) and stays sharp wihout touch up as stihls 4x price chain - dont waste your money. if it takes a new chain - you'll have 2 for 1 if you use oregon - lg is good...real good. clx may be even better....

Not to fight, but Oregon's model numbers have little rhyme or
reason to them.
25ap= 1/4 inch pitch
27a = .404
Have never seen a 40 series

The Stihl dealer around here sells Stihl chain for less than the
Oregon. To say one brand is better or sharper is very
subjective. I like Carlton myself. GB too.
Fish

now really fish - you must have the best stihl dealer in the country - how much does he sell a 24" loop of stihl RS for? - over here i can its 4 times the price. i can get 2 loops of oregon LG for 14.95 and 2 loops of stihl RS for $46. i can promise you the RS is a lot less chain for that money - your really can see that difference cant you?!?!.

Last edited:
yeah - just calculated again for myself - oregon LG is 4 times cheaper than stihl RS around here...

That price is a lot cheaper than dealer cost off of a bulk roll.
Come on, what store? Also If they sell the Stihl loop for
$23 and the Oregon for $7.50, the Stihl would be @ 3 times
as much.
Now really Tundraotto.

lol - youre right fish - i must have been counting the beers i have had - the oregon is only 2 times cheaper!!!:D well- two times cheaper it is - it sure is not twice as good so thats my opinion for better chain.

PS. thanks for the quick attention:eek:

A fellow beer drinker! Really, does this one store sell a 24" loop
for $7.50? Or do you get a good price because you buy a lot?
Nobody can compete with that price for chain. Just curious.
There is a guy here in my town that sells lawnmower tires for
half of what my cost is, so I don't even try to compete. He
won't tell me his source either, I don't blame him.
Fish

lol - no fish - i f...ed up my complex mathematical calculations - i get $14.95 per chain at he moment- slight miscalculation there due to the beverages consumed etc...but the way i stihl [sic - lmao] figure oregon is cheaper - eg. better value for money - at least for the prices im getting.

lol - no fish - i f...ed up my complex mathematical calculations - i get $14.95 per chain at he moment- slight miscalculation there due to the beverages consumed etc...but the way i stihl [sic - lmao] figure oregon is cheaper - eg. better value for money - at least for the prices im getting. IE -let me get this right this time:

2 chains stihl = $46
2 chains oregon = $30 ( plus can get better deal buiyng a roll...)

Howdy,

I would have to comment, that what you are seeing is the result of longstanding marketing policy. Stihl enjoys a captive market at consistant volume, and they can sell every foot they make. The chain has gradually improved over the last several years to the position that it is now better than competitive and acceptable to most professionals, with the exception of a few of the top end bushler's (Those paid by what they cut).

Oregon on the otherhand has faced a drastically declining world market, now approaching half the volume it used to be. This added to the loss of the Stihl buisness, means the company has dramatically lost chain buisness. The policy was to keep competitors out by maintaining a price so low that a competitor could not get started, or manufacture to a competitive level. Stihl simply defeated the policy, by starting up on a ???? the cost basis, and with a goal of producing a better chain. This was coupled with a masterful wordsmithing department marketing through their own distribution and dealers.

Oregon has in fact made Stihl's position rather unassailable by lowering the general quality of the chain slightly in the process of lowering their costs. They have the additional disadvantage of having to be a cash cow for their owner, Blount.

The quality level difference is very slight, but does now exist. For most people, the Oregon chain will easily do a satisfactory job. The performance level of RS vs. RG seems very competitive if both are correctly maintained. Oregon may have a slight edge as filed and Stihl may have a slight edge out-of-box. The Stihl has far less initial stretch (about half) and equal thereafter.

One would have to say the best value would appear to be Oregon, for most people. That's my opinion anyway.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Although Tundraotto is probably correct, chain of any type will not make up for incorrect filing or the lack of maintainance to the terminal parts of a saw. Any chain can be rocked into oblivion, which will leave most casual users leaning on the saw and prematurely wearing and ruining all related attachments, otherwise known as the "tobagan syndrome". Even the best of chain can be easily ruined, while the worst of chain can get you by if you know what your doing when you file. If a saw was meant to be rode it would come with a saddle.
Frank's Planks

Back