33RS chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go to www.oregonchain.com and there you can e-mail a request for how Oregon chains are numbered. They will send you a small booklet on each chain type they make, the filing angles, application, etc. I was asking the same questions as you and the book helped me quite a bit. It's worth a look anyway. Good Luck.

Thumper

P.S., does anyone know what the fastest cutting 1/4" pitch chain is? And why does there seem to be two different pitches for the same size cutter? I think I am using the Picco Mirco Stihl chain on the HT pole Saw and the above remington. Does this tiny pitch come in a chisel tooth?
Thanks in advance,
John

if your using the pm, you might try the PMN. will need to change the bar. It is a little more narrow. supost to cut about 10% faster than the PM

The times I have tried to sharpen the .043 ga. chain, I have found
over half of the cutters were bent. It is too light for any
practical use.
Fish

I noted that the PM chain on the polesaw seems to be very durable and I am still on the first chain, after owning it since 98. It seems the Oregon Micro Chisel is .050. The old chain I took a 110 Muckaluck today had a very robust 1/4" pitch Muckaluck chain. I guess the strength of chain may have deteriorated over the years. The little 009 does fine with the little chain if you dont expect too much from it I find. The too different pitches confuse me.
John

Well of course the PM chain is durable on the pole saw, the saw only has the power to cut 2-3 inch limbs. I have used my buddys. I personally like the pole saw, but that chain would be useless on a hand held saw. get the Oregon 1/4"

Howdy,

There seems to be a bit of confusion here as to what a 1/4 pitch chain really is. This is caused in part by the fact that the 3/8 low profile design chains, such as Oregon 91 series or Stihl PM are initially 1/4 pitch cutters on a 3/8 chassis. True 1/4 pitch chains have so darn many cutters that they are a considerable nuisance to file, and unnecessary unless you are an "in the tree" arborist. The do make a cleanner cut with less grain tearing. They are also the best for cutting bamboo. True 1/4 pitch chains are far smoother on the very small saws (less than 1.9 cu.in.). The old normal sequence 25AP was the fastest chain on these very small saws, as well. The full skip chain, which is now standard, I believe, lost this advantage. Windsor had a good version of the normal sequence 1/4 pitch semichisel chain. I'm not sure if it is still around.

All that said, I must mention the .043 gauge (narrow kerf chains). I have had only limited experience with these since I promptly gave up on them due to the fragility of the chain, as previously mentioned. Also, I failed to find any cutting speed advantage if things are properly filed. There may be an advantage on a prunning saw application, but not if there is much of any cross section of wood to be cut.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Back