3400 Poulan Counter Vibe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumbarky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, so is it a bad sign when you save a 3400 Poulan Counter Vibe from the garbage truck. I was working today on side of the road. Guy comes out to the curb sets out his trash and a Poulan Saw. I asked him about it and he said take it before the garbage truck gets it. So like a fool I did. Now I admit I don't need it, but I couldn't see it going into the trash. Do I have a problem. I don't know the first thing about Poulan's. This one's green. Every saw I own is red or orange or orange/white.

Great. Did these saws have an auto oiler on them? This one has a pump lever on the thumb side of the handle. This old girl is heavy but made outa real materials not much plastic anywhere.

That's sweet. Thing didn't turn over but I will tear it down and let the madness begin. Must have been sitting around for a while but the gas in the tank seems pretty fresh, I mean it still smells like gas. Think he was running like 32:1 or something, pretty strong aroma of two cycle oil. Is getting parts going to be fun.

Parts are fairly easy to find. I've liked every saw from that series I ever ran.

Mr. HE:cool:

I think I have 7 of them here, one torn down for a rebuild, one that arrived in pieces as well as a couple with bow attachments.

Here are the two bow saws.

Poulan3400bowsaw2004.jpg

Last edited:
I cut a lot of firewood for 20+ years with nothing but a 3400. They will get the job done. New parts are a little tough to find, but there is an abundance of used parts available. Or, other parts saws, kinda like the one you just found.:)
They made a lot of those saws.

That series, the 3400/3700/4000 all use mostly the same parts. CC displacement being the difference. Same with the Craftsman versions of that saw. The 3400 is 56cc. Mine came new with an 18" bar. 16/18/20 will all work well with that saw. They use a Oregon DD176 mount bar.
:cheers:
Gregg,

Did Sears sell red versions of the 3400 and 4000 Poulans? I can't remember. When I worked on OPE for Sears Service through the '90s, the only saws I ever remember seeing in the shop from that Poulan series were 3.7's (their rebadged 3700 of course). Whenever one of those came through the shop I was reminded of just how far Poulan had fallen since the weedeater deal. Much higher quality than the plastic crap that was being turned out at the time (and is now).

Used to make sure to 'snipe' those saws to work on myself (even traded 'easier' jobs with other guys for 'em). Did that with anything older/better built that I saw come in. The other guys thought I was nuts..............except for one crusty old guy. I've got my eye out for one of those 3.7's, and would also like to grab a red Sears/Craftsman 3400 or 4000 (3.4 or 4.0 I guess) if they exist.

Did Sears sell red versions of the 3400 and 4000 Poulans? I can't remember. When I worked on OPE for Sears Service through the '90s, the only saws I ever remember seeing in the shop from that Poulan series were 3.7's (their rebadged 3700 of course). Whenever one of those came through the shop I was reminded of just how far Poulan had fallen since the weedeater deal. Much higher quality than the plastic crap that was being turned out at the time (and is now).

Used to make sure to 'snipe' those saws to work on myself (even traded 'easier' jobs with other guys for 'em). Did that with anything older/better built that I saw come in. The other guys thought I was nuts..............except for one crusty old guy. I've got my eye out for one of those 3.7's, and would also like to grab a red Sears/Craftsman 3400 or 4000 (3.4 or 4.0 I guess) if they exist.

Aaron, not all Craftsman 3.7 were 3700, some were 3800's. Most of the red ones but not all were 3700's, some red ones and all the gray ones were 3800's as far as I know.

There was no Craftsman version of the 4000.

I bought a used 3400 in the late 80s' and ran it hard until I got the 346 in 01. It still runs fine and has cut a bunch of wood.

My brother had a red 3400 for a long time also, a Poulan, not Craftsman.

Very good saws!

Aaron, not all Craftsman 3.7 were 3700, some were 3800's. Most of the red ones but not all were 3700's, some red ones and all the gray ones were 3800's as far as I know.

There was no Craftsman version of the 4000.

Interesting. I didn't know that some of the Craftsman 3.7's were Poulan 3800's. I also don't know what the dif is between a Poulan 3700 and a Poulan3800. Gotta do some studying, as I'm showing my Poulan ignorance. The only other Sears/Craftsman 3.7's that I knew of were the Ropers.

Edit:

Just checked Acres' site. 3800's were Electrolux era saws. Are they otherwise the same as the 3700's? Were the Sears/Craftsman 3.7 branded 3800's red, or were they the ugly grey/black?

I bought a used 3400 in the late 80s' and ran it hard until I got the 346 in 01. It still runs fine and has cut a bunch of wood.

My brother had a red 3400 for a long time also, a Poulan, not Craftsman.

Very good saws!

Hmmmmmmmm. Gonna have to try and track down a red Poulan 3400 (or repaint a green one red). I like red chainsaws...........:msp_lol:

Last edited:
Hmmmmmmmm. Gonna have to try and track down a red Poulan 3400 (or repaint a green one red). I like red chainsaws...........:msp_lol:

Maybe orange would work?

DavidBradley001.jpg

I think that I got enough extra parts in my haul last week to get this one up and running. Will be a mixture of green and orange...

Interesting. I didn't know that some of the Craftsman 3.7's were Poulan 3800's. I also don't know what the dif is between a Poulan 3700 and a Poulan3800. Gotta do some studying, as I'm showing my Poulan ignorance. The only other Sears/Craftsman 3.7's that I knew of were the Ropers.

Edit:

Just checked Acres' site. 3800's were Electrolux era saws. Are they otherwise the same as the 3700's? Were the Sears/Craftsman 3.7 branded 3800's red, or were they the ugly grey/black?

That can be done pretty easily. I painted one red once. Sure probably confuse someone down the road years from now. :)

100_0191.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

Latest posts

Back