• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold 346 For Sale

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeez, I'm just jealous you have Neal's contact info. He was an awesome asset to the forums. Not to mention his unending supply of 346's. He helped me rebuild my first 346, an OE. Between supplying parts and loaning me tools, advice on dos and don'ts he was helpful. Never met him and he lived about 4 states away but left a positive impression.

I didn't know selling a nice little saw like this would entice all this speculation. Maybe we could get a sticky started on this topic. :)

When I spoke with Neal about getting this saw from him, I asked if he had an orange clutch cover to put on it. I know he had a lot of small Husky parts and he was able to get one for me. I think the 346 shares the same clutch cover with several other small saws of its era.

Then I bought a NOS 346 with the silver clutch cover. One of the first things I did after getting it ported by Randy was to order a new OEM orange clutch cover. I think I sold the silver cover here.

I'm just not a fan of the silver clutch covers. Mainly because they get scratched up and dull with little use. I've seen several of these saws where the entire saw looked brand new and the silver clutch cover was all tore up. Poor color/paint choice by Husky in my opinion.

I sent Neal an email yesterday to ask him specifically what he did to the saws that he sold. He sent me a detailed response of all that he would do and/or check on these saws. In short, he thoroughly went through the saw down to the bearings/seals and replaced anything needing replacement or that was questionable with OEM parts. I know a lot of folks on here bought these and other saws from Neal and I never heard any complaints about his saws. There are plenty that would speak up if the saw wasn't right or didn't last.

I had a friend buy the exact same saw from Neal after running mine. He runs the balls off of his and has had zero issues in 3+ years.

Sunfish, thanks for the info about and confidence in Neal and his saws. I've never met the man but he obviously has made a good name for himself amongst many that know their way around a saw. He treated me right and sold quality saws. I wish he was still on here because be was always one to share knowledge and help folks learn. One of the main reasons many of us joined the site.

This saw is still available.

This is really simple...
Seller is a loooooong time member.
Saw is iconic model.
Condition is very good regardless of history of ownership.
History of ownership provided.
Mechanical history provided.
All the right pics incl. P/C provided.
Comp reading provided.
Video provided.
The only thing missing is the buyer- GLWS!

Now, what is all this hub bub you people are speaking about Grey vs Orange Clutch Covers making otherwise minty saws look bad? :D

346XP_For_Sale_001.jpg IMG_3997.JPG

the possible history means nothing to me...the photos and comp readings along with the video tells me all I need to know. I just cannot afford the asking price, thats why we are in negotiations.... we will see, as always my location is my biggest issue nobody want sot deal with military postal system FTMFW!

Yeah, Neal was a great asset to this site in my opinion. He helped me figure out how to do a muffler mod and base gasket delete on a used 357 I bought... And still don't know the history of it either.

Maybe one day he'll return if the drama deminishes.

S Tebo, that's a damn fine looking and I'm sure running pair of saws you've got. But, I'm partial to the orange one! Randy ported a 346 for me that I'm pretty sure I'll never sell.

I think Ken and I have reached a deal and all that's left is me figuring out the military shipping address.

Same saw that I bought strait from Randy (just one, not two saws). I just added to orange cover because the grey one was the only blemish on the whole saw. I was just trying to support the point of why people do indeed often swap covers. And yes, this one flat out screams. With a 20" 3/8 .050 Full Comp it will Haul the Mail like nobody's business. ;)

...... And yes, this one flat out screams. With a 20" 3/8 .050 Full Comp it will Haul the Mail like nobody's business. ;)

that is what I am hoping for. My 346OE is he 45cc version and was used by a professional tree service here in japan for its entire life, do not know much more about it than that it cuts OK but could probably use a new set of rings or maybe even an entire cylinder/piston....I want to tinker with it yet I cannot allow my small saw to go down while i do it. so I want another one that I can cut with while I tinker with my OE.

update,I know this is not EBAY nor Amazon, but I feel the need to leave feedback on this transaction: paul shipped the same day (international time date line works funny like this) as I sent payment. provided tracking numbers + insurance numbers and refunded me 15 bucks that he saved in shipping! how straight up can you be? I feel bad wheedling him out of the original asking price now sheese I actually feel like a scumbag..... :) (only a little..my wife found out about this one already...ever heard a Japanese women cursing in two languages???

Final update :) saw arrived on Friday my time and I picked it up as I left work and headed straight to my cabin. Got up to Fuji and filled her with some 40:1 and some bar oil. I assembled her with my 18" 3/8 bar and chain from my other 346 hit the primer bulb about 3 or 4 times and she farted on the second pull with the choke set and started on the third pull in 30 degree weather. Cut up about 15 nara (oak) logs for our shitake mushroom garden, and set her down. In the meantime my neighbor pops over takes a peak at the new toy and says can I try it? I was like OK give her a shot on a badly knotted piece of kunugi that I had sitting in the wood pile and he was like wow... a lot more power than the other 346. I had to explain that this was the NE version and it was 50cc not 45 like the OE was. That plus a muff mod and gasket delete makes for a real screamer. Paul had her set at his elevation so I hit her with the tach and it was at 12,500. Played with it a bit and got it so that it was 4 stroking at WOT out of the cut and tached it again and it as right at 13,900 at 3500' on 40:1 in 30 degree weather...what a little sweetheart of a saw.

Final update :) saw arrived on Friday my time and I picked it up as I left work and headed straight to my cabin. Got up to Fuji and filled her with some 40:1 and some bar oil. I assembled her with my 18" 3/8 bar and chain from my other 346 hit the primer bulb about 3 or 4 times and she farted on the second pull with the choke set and started on the third pull in 30 degree weather. Cut up about 15 nara (oak) logs for our shitake mushroom garden, and set her down. In the meantime my neighbor pops over takes a peak at the new toy and says can I try it? I was like OK give her a shot on a badly knotted piece of kunugi that I had sitting in the wood pile and he was like wow... a lot more power than the other 346. I had to explain that this was the NE version and it was 50cc not 45 like the OE was. That plus a muff mod and gasket delete makes for a real screamer. Paul had her set at his elevation so I hit her with the tach and it was at 12,500. Played with it a bit and got it so that it was 4 stroking at WOT out of the cut and tached it again and it as right at 13,900 at 3500' on 40:1 in 30 degree weather...what a little sweetheart of a saw.

I'm real glad your happy and hope it gets lots of good use. Enjoy and thanks for buying.

Back