346 high output oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have never been happy with the amount of oil my 346 put out so I replaced the oiler with one from a 359. Now the saw uses nearly a full tank of oil per tank of fuel and the bar stays well oiled in dry, dead wood.
BTW I cant claim responsibility for this mod as Rocky J Squirrel turned me onto it.

Good post. The 357xp oiler will work too. I think the 359 and 57 are the same, but haven't checked the IPL. They both also use the big rim drum, in case your modded 346 has the power to pull 3/8 x8T

Good post. The 357xp oiler will work too. I think the 359 and 57 are the same, but haven't checked the IPL. They both also use the big rim drum, in case your modded 346 has the power to pull 3/8 x8T

Yes, the 357 and 359 use the same oiler. Also a heads up for anyone doing this mod. On inspection the two oilers look identical. They even have the same part number stamped on them. The differance is in the plunger. The 357/359 definatly pumps more oil, to the point that the oil tank will almost run dry if your cuttingalot of big wood. I infact cut cookies in a 24'' log with mine continuosly till it ran out of gas justr to make sure the oil tnak would run dry.
As for a 8pin on a 346. I dont think so, but I am running round filed work chain, not square filed race chain. I would still think that even the strongest 346 would have its handfull with a 8 pin.

My 346 won’t oil
Changed pump- won’t oil
Pickup tube clear- won’t oil
Filter clear - won’t oil
Worm gear good - won’t oil
The only thing left to do is try some of the tricks mentioned above. If that doesn’t work I’ll be coming down there!
Surely it can’t be the oil tank vent as a loose cap prevents any vacuum.
Now I have 3 346’s that won’t oil.
Thanks

My 346 won’t oil
Changed pump- won’t oil
Pickup tube clear- won’t oil
Filter clear - won’t oil
Worm gear good - won’t oil
The only thing left to do is try some of the tricks mentioned above. If that doesn’t work I’ll be coming down there!
Surely it can’t be the oil tank vent as a loose cap prevents any vacuum.
Now I have 3 346’s that won’t oil.
Thanks

Did you check for blocked oil hole on the blade ?Does the blade oil hole face correctly the slot on the inside metal protector? Wrong blade number ?

Did you check for blocked oil hole on the blade ?Does the blade oil hole face correctly the slot on the inside metal protector? Wrong blade number ?
No , the blade inlet hole lines up perfectly with the blade outlet hole on the casing.
Plus it’s the original 16” small mount GB blade that I’ve always had on it.plus the bar groove on the blade is clean as is the oil hole on the blade.

Damaged sprocket slots on plastic gear?Does the metal gear turns freely ? Remove the pump ,put a drop of oil on the IN hole ,turn the metal gear with finger and see if oil comes out on the othe side hole.You could have wrong plastic gear,running 3/8 gear on 325 rim.The .325 gear number ends with 321 02 stamped on gear.

D04EE6D6-F4CD-4027-B0A5-B12E4A41926F.jpeg 31D0E70A-A473-4E0E-9102-BFC01953D52C.jpeg
Damaged sprocket slots on plastic gear?Does the metal gear turns freely ? Remove the pump ,put a drop of oil on the IN hole ,turn the metal gear with finger and see if oil comes out on the othe side hole.You could have wrong plastic gear,running 3/8 gear on 325 rim.The .325 gear number ends with 321 02 stamped on gear.
It appears there are two different pumps. Note the flush hole and the one with the nipple. Even though they share the same number they aren’t interchangeable unless you have the corresponding pick up tube.
Although I’m running a 3/8 sprocket the spline on the clutch drum line up the plastic gear, so pitch shouldn’t matter as long as sprocket fits the spline.

Have 6 346s' here that all oil fine. Two of them right at 20 years old. It's extremely odd you have 3 that don't oil???

Latest posts

Back