346XP Kickstand

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I had a set of HD dogs for the 357xp ready to go on it but after reading this I decided to size them up for my 346xp. They are a little big for this saw but definitely solve the problem. I should've ordered an 18" or 20" bar for it.....lol. Oh well, no biggie.

0524101215a.jpg

0524101218a.jpg

It doesn't look like what I want is available. So I guess it'll have to be made. The 357 inner spike is a nice addition without being to big. But it still leaves the saw tippy. The solution is a custom made outer spike. I overlaid a 372 outer spike and the 357 inner spike and made a template. Next is to find a machinist to mill it out;) What do you think? Think there's a market for these?

683537048_gspH9-M.jpg

683537154_k4HXm-M.jpg

I think making your own custom set is the way to go... and if you have already drawn up a template for it you can just get someone on AS with the right CAD software to draw up the profile for you. This profile can then be sent to your nearest/cheapest laser cutting shop and they will cut it for a few dollars out of plate material of your choice - 304 stainless might look good on the husky.

And once you have a design you are happy with you can get multiples cut for other AS members that might be interested.

I'm actually working on some custom dawgs for my 440 at the moment.

Last edited:
I think making your own custom set is the way to go... and if you have already drawn up a template for it you can just get someone on AS with the right CAD software to draw up the profile for you. This profile can then be sent to your nearest/cheapest laser cutting shop and they will cut it for a few dollars out of plate material of your choice - 304 stainless might look good on the husky.

And once you have a design you are happy with you can get multiples cut for other AS members that might be interested.

I'm actually working on some custom dawgs for my 440 at the moment.

If someone gets a cad file they want to share, I'm all for that. I've got a way to cut a set.

Oh, and did a little more tweaking this afternoon as the big brown truck dropped by.

0524101849aSugi.jpg

0524101848aSugi.jpg

Last edited:
I received my 357 dual dawg kit, and they were just WAY too big for a 346. So I took the inner dawg and made my own, similiar to the original 346 dawg. No more tippy tippy for my saw:clap:

Erick, so yours match the smaller 357 dawgs?

895374933_MYq4P-M.jpg

895374829_yju4i-M.jpg

895375027_pFPBR-M.jpg

Last edited:
OK, everyone knows the 346 would rather fall over and lay on it's side than set up straight. I read that a 357 standard dog helped. Well, it does, but not much. It needs a dog on the clutch cover. I don't see one in the 357 IPL. Anyone have a solution that isn't huge spikes for something else?

I get write ups if the saw is ever sitting i the up right position. Cause it always lays on its side I never have to worry. They worry some one will knick there shins or something

:hmm3grin2orange:

When sitting it down, try laying the saw on its side and perhaps it will fall upright.

Well it took me long enough but I finally got a round tuit. :)

Actually I finished the spikes shortly after this thread went dormant but I just now got around to taking some pics for another post so I thought I'd drag this thread back up and show'em off here too. :D

Eventually I'll probably extend the outer spike down to line up and support both sides of the roller chain catcher like the Stihls use. I personally like the Stihl set-up better, but for now factory Husky style works... no more "little tippy". :laugh:

(sorry about the big pics.. can't find my little Sony I usually use for pics here so I had to use the Nikon)

:cheers:

4607273076_de7365c9ba_b.jpg

4606660683_0e1677b366_b.jpg

4607274940_324521febb_b.jpg

And of course the obligatory gratuitous poser shot.

4607275200_87107d2ab2_b.jpg

Anyone kno if guys are still makin these dawgs?

If you want bigger ones order the one for a 357xp from Bailey's they will mount right on a 346 they're about $6 for the double dogs and roller chain catcher.

????? Are you guys serious ??????

You are trying to undesign one of the best features of the 346, it is a auto fill system. When the saw runs out of gas is the only time it should be set down, so it automatically lays on it's side. Really you all should have known.

:laugh:

maybe it needs to stand upright for pictures??? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

CJ

I have to admit,I don't really get it.The saw doesn't care if it lays on it side or not.If it handles and limbs well,how it sits doesn't matter.
Maybe if some are concerned it may flop on it's side,they should just pick it back up and keep working,rather than trying to make it sit still for a picture.;)

Kinda like....

Having a date of the lifetime ,,,beautiful woman,,and look at her and she has a booger on the tip of her nose...You know she's hot,,,lookin good,,but that one thing that just bothers ya...... LOL!!!

Beautiful woman, booger on the tip of her nose. You ate it right? We got side tracked somehow?

Ok my two 346xp are in boxes yet haven’t started them up yet. If the lean I have plenty of spikes.

Order some west coast dogs, spikes. https://www.ebay.com/p/699226904

Back