346XP or 026Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodho

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Lookin' for some advice on new saw purchase. I'm a part-time firewood and tree cutter. I currently run Stihls and one Husky 262Xp. I'm looking to buy another small saw and I would usually just get another 026Pro but my buddy runs Huskys and he is steering me towards the 346XP. I checked and locally the 026Pro would be 440.00 and the Husky 346Xp is 399.00. Any opinions would be helpfull. I'm a devoted Stihl man but I've been very impressed with th Husky262Xp, so I'm trying to be flexible.
Thanks

i would go with the husky. i have had bad expierences with stihl's and if i was goign to buy a new saw i would go with a husky. you also might be able to get that saw cheaper through madsen's than localy.

Hey Homelight! What about Commercial Cutters, they are right in your back yard almost, Pottery Road in Warners isn`t it. $369 for a 346XP.:confused: Russ

Howdy,

My advice would be to keep your money in your pocket, less a small amount to get that 262 a good general service call. That saw should about outlive you if you take care of it. Feed it the best gas and oil, and never leave fuel in it.

The new saws have a few new problems: The 26 is a well proven saw, but it's been badly emasculated by the new EPA carburetor. Some folks are having problems with these. Also the latest ones now are using a ZAMA carburetor made exclusively for Stihl on tooling owned by Stihl. The Pro version uses the new "Intellicarb, which further complicates the airfilter and carb service. Routine service parts will be getting even more expensive.

Take a good look at the innards of the Husky's construction by at least a look at an exploded diagram. Again the EPA carburetor problem comes into play, but at least aftermarket parts will be available.

Not a bad idea to chat with a good servicing mechanic in the back room, on any of these new models. You will find a lot of Pessimisum these days back at the service bench.

Regards,
Walt Galer

ahh hell i have gotten around crab changes before. i have found that you can fit a tillitson hl carb on just about any chain saw that you come across. i am sure that 026 will get it's nuts back if you put a real carb on it. but i almost forgot about commercial cutters. i don't go there all that often so i don't think about that place most of the time.

What model saw's do you currently have in your lineup and what is your purchase objective?

If you really want to add a small/light saw to your lineup than I'd look at the Makita DCS 401. At 8.8 lbs. and with professional features such as compression release, 2 ring piston, adjustable oiler, and commercial duty air filtration, it can't be beat for the price. It's my favorite small saw. (superior to the equivalent priced Stihl 021's and Husky 141's).

If you want a medium-small saw than I can vouch for 026's. (I have 2 of them). They are excellent saws if price is a secondary consideration.

But be aware that:
1. Stihl MSRP's are 10-20% higher than equivalent Husky saws.
2. You can't buy them online, so that'll means sales tax will probably have to be paid.
3. Stihl dealers rarely offer any discounts other than throwing in a free loop of chain. (unlike Husky).

When all is said and done the Stihl price disadvantage becomes closer to 30%!!!

Dont get a saw with the intellicarb. it is the most useless waste of R&D I have seen in a while. Instead of going and redesigning their inferior air intake system Stihl went and made a carb that compensates for its shortcomings, and the end result is less power and performance for the consumer that doesnt feel like putting a $20 air filter in every week. Get the Husky with the air injection if you must get one. But I have the same question as Walt--whats the matter with the 262? It should go through at least a couple of hundred tanks of fuel before needing servicing. If you think it is down on power throw a $20 set of rings in it and you will be amazed at how much life it will have left. Todays cylinder walls are so much harder than rings they will withstand 2-3 rering jobs easily

Woodho,
I believe that the 346XP maybe the replacement for the 242XP which Husky stopped making because of emissions.The 242XP turned 15500 rpm with around 3.4 hp and weighed approx. 10.4 lbs. The 346XP makes this same hp @ 14700 rpm @ nearly the same weight. I believe the 242XP was as reliable as a rock but the cost was more than the 346XP. Like one of the guys said, some of the newer saws have complicated designs which may cost you more in the long run. I understand your need for a small stout limb saw as I use the Husky 246 and 42 special. The Husky air injection system and overall design is superior to the Stihl in my opinion.Take you time and choose. Oh by the way, I also have a 262XP and love it. I am looking for another one if anybody knows where there is a leftover or a good clean used one.

346xp

i should be recieving a 346 any moment now. i will be putting it through the same test as every other saw that passes chainsaw world. it will have to out proform the stihl 026 ( not 026 pro ). should be a very tight comparison. we all will see.

I myself was very impressed with the intellicarb. When I went to Germany they had a filter on a 044 with everything covered but 10 percent of it. It ran like a champ. Then they covered the intellicarb metering side and ran the same filter. Flooded immediately. Some morons in Colorado say it helps with altitude. I am not in that group. Husky on the other hand doesnt need this gizmo as the filter remains clear most of the time. Air Injection is nice.

Darin I understand it keeps the saw running smoothly but was the saw on a dyno to measure the power loss? Less air and fuel means less power no matter what

Hey guys,
I agree with all the comments regarding the 262Xp, it is a fantastic performer and is running like a top. However, it is alittle large and heavy for most firewood cutting up her in MA.
We don't get too many six foo diameter logs up here. I have found that for most cutting a 45 to 50 CC saw works best. When you cut for over 8hrs weight to power ratio has a whole new meaning. As I said before I run all Stihls now except for the 262Xp. So I'm looking for comparisons between the 346XP and the 026Pro. Thanks

John

Buy the stihl. The new saws have the clutch driven oilers and they say "A professional logger running the clutch driven oiler can save the cost of a new saw in the cost of oil it saves in one year" Now that may be an elaboration of the truth but it will save you oil comsumption and besides its a Stihl. My humble opinion would be to buy the 026Pro.

confused

346xp would be an easy choice for me. i think husky makes a better grade pro saw than stihl for less money. these are the features that in my eyes make the 346 better:

it will cut quicker than a 026 pro

it has a clutch driven oiler that confused is talking about and it is adjustable too.

it runs longer with a tank of gas

it revs higher than the stihl, 14700rpm which is the primary reason that it cuts quicker.

its cheaper - get another bar & chain for the price difference.

air injection which multiplies air filter life without losing power gradually like the stihls intellicarb.

rubber mounted carb thats more durable.

super easy air filter access.

and last but not least - has extremely low vibration levels.

both are good saws but only you can pick the right one for you - if you like your husky 262xp your choice should be really easy.

Mower of Woodville!!!

Hi John,
I run a Jonsered 2065 almost the same as a 365 Husky, they are 65 cc saws and I wouldn't go any smaller or bigger. Here in central oregon the firewood of choice is lodgepole pine a small tree generally used for pulp chips, no good for lumber. I saw firewood for a living and some of my wood lately have been 8-20 inches in dia., my next logs comming are a lot smaller 10" will be a good tree. The smaller saws take to long to get through a cut. I generally saw 4 to 5 cord a day with a 28' bar.
Jonsered calls their air system TURBO (same system as Husky I believe) It is a very good system I have cut over 300 cord of wood this year and only cleaned the filter 5 times, mostly nothing fancy mainly just washing it with gas in the field. The last time I cleaned it I know for a fact that I cut 10 log trucks averaging 12 cords per truck! :cool: Good system!! :D
Also I have some pretty cool pics I will get scanned and on here so GYPO can drool over since he is fiber challenged!! :D
Wendell

Hi there all, I have been using a 357 WXPG lately on a 6 acre clearcut of hardwood. The trees ranged from whips to 15" dead Elm. I too noticed that the filter requires nil to no cleaning and even the venturi has no noticeable bypass of any fine particles, however the weather is damp and snowy, so this may be a factor.
When I was in the firewood business my main saw was the 066 magnum with a 16" bar regardless of wood size. This way I could cut more wood as the saw had nothing but shear power and was always in the wood.
I wish I had discovered power tuning in those days. I think a good man on a 357XP that is power tuned can outcut any stock saw regardless of size with 16" bar by the end of the day. Mainly because smaller saws have more available power per pound without prematurely tiring the operator. The low vibs of the new pro Huskys is a real plus. Firewooding is the hardest task one can put a saw to other than lumbermaking.
After reading the above statement it is easy to see how we can become estatic about one particular saw, however, the saw doesnt make the logger, the logger makes the saw.
It is very important I find to closely match the saw to the job, and with proper maintainance and bar length choice, we can outcut most others and still have energy left by the end of the day.
I find that some people are just plain hard on saws no matter what they use, just as we can be hard on trucks or any other thing for that matter. After twenty years of using a saw I have learned to be very gentle on them even though I run them full bore and held right to the pin at all times. This 357, after running more than 50 tanks of fuel still has the two factory stickers on the bottom and the black magic marker that indicated it as mine when it came from Walkers. Just over one year ago I couldnt stand to look at a Husky, now I cant get enough of them.
This doesnt mean other saws are not equal, it means they are just different and I think I would be short changing myself if I said a Husky was better than other makes.
We all may have noticed that hotsaw racers never say nothing bad about other makes and models (except Mr. Andrews of course, lol), but rather prefer to see what advantages those saws can offer.
I guess I have rambled on enough about my 357, however, stay tuned it just might be a 385 WXP next week.
Has anyone ever heard a powertuned 088 over the phone?
Stihl Crazy After All These Years

Hey John, maybe you could record a small wav. file of your Walkerized 088 and post it here for the rest of us to enjoy. I`ve been told that some digital cameras will do this. It`s funny to me that you are so enthusiastic about Huskies now, I remember when you first posted at the TSF with your interest in the 372, you were sceptical, pretty dyed in the wool Stihl man. I also remember telling you something to the effect of, that if you tried a new Husky, you would be sold. They are making some very nice saws right now, and this is not to say that there are not other high quality saws from other manufacturers. Just my two cents. Russ

Hi guys,
Well, I want to thank everybody who contributed to my question.
I've gone out and bought the Husky 346XP. It's my first Husky purchase (I hope the Stihl Gods forgive me). I'm takin' her out this weekend to cut a couple cord of wood. Hopefullly it'll live up to expectations.

John

Back