346XP replacement?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly, these days the ms261 makes more sense then the 550mk2. Just from a weight standpoint. Same hp rating between the two. The 550mk2 is all but a pound heavier, then the 261 or 346xp. Really just keep running the 346xp. They were the best 50cc saw back in the day. Husqy came up short with this version....
I like my 353 a little better than the 346 because the 353 has a de-comp valve..

I like my 353 a little better than the 346 because the 353 has a de-comp valve..
Sorry this made me laugh pretty hard. Not that a 353 is a bad saw, but it doesn't compare to a 346xp.
I also haven't seen a 346xp oe or ne that didn't have provisions for a decomp button. Not saying they arnt out there, but I haven't seen any.

Sorry this made me laugh pretty hard. Not that a 353 is a bad saw, but it doesn't compare to a 346xp.
I also haven't seen a 346xp oe or ne that didn't have provisions for a decomp button. Not saying they arnt out there, but I haven't seen any.
I can take another look but I sure haven't seen one on my 346. Glad I made your day, however!
I looked again and there is a raised up place on the cylinder where you could drill it out and install one if you wanted but it's not already drilled and threaded..

Attachments

• 346-2.JPG
    346-2.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I can take another look but I sure haven't seen one on my 346. Glad I made your day, however!
I looked again and there is a raised up place on the cylinder where you could drill it out and install one if you wanted but it's not already drilled and threaded..
Interesting,I have had several of the old and new edition saws, as well as doing lots of 350/353 to 346xp top end swaps and never seen one without a decomp hole. Is it a oem top end?

Interesting,I have had several of the old and new edition saws, as well as doing lots of 350/353 to 346xp top end swaps and never seen one without a decomp hole. Is it a oem top end?
I've owned the saw for between 5-10 years and I know I didn't do a swap. I'm pretty sure it is OEM but I'll get a closer look at it tomorrow if possible and let you know.

Husqvarna does make a non decomp 346 cylinder. That part number does exist. I just looked the cylinder two days ago as I need a new one for my NE. I myself have ever seen one either. I have 3 346's and try to buy everyone one I find.

Husqvarna does make a non decomp 346 cylinder. That part number does exist. I just looked the cylinder two days ago as I need a new one for my NE. I myself have ever seen one either. I have 3 346's and try to buy everyone one I find.
Learn something new everyday!

Okay, just got back from the garage. I took the top off the 346 so I could get a good look and the cylinder says "MAHLE" on the side nearest the starter. I doubt it's been changed because that darned plastic intake clamp is still on it. If I'd changed it I would have replaced it with a metal clamp.

Okay, just got back from the garage. I took the top off the 346 so I could get a good look and the cylinder says "MAHLE" on the side nearest the starter. I doubt it's been changed because that darned plastic intake clamp is still on it. If I'd changed it I would have replaced it with a metal clamp.
Good to know. I'd replace that clamp as soon as you get a chance. 80% of the work I did to saws was from that stupid clamp failing. Since most have either been repaired or moved onto other saws hasn't been an issue.

Back