346XP replacement?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Echo CS 590 a 59CC saw so not that much larger than a 550. Great saw great reviews and a 5 year home owner warranty which no one else will match.
There a lot of good brands on the market in the 50 to 60CC than Husky and Sthil that are great saws, Dolmar comes to mind there.

:D Al

Echo CS 590 a 59CC saw so not that much larger than a 550. Great saw great reviews and a 5 year home owner warranty which no one else will match.
There a lot of good brands on the market in the 50 to 60CC than Husky and Sthil that are great saws, Dolmar comes to mind there.

Dimensionally the 590 is MUCH larger than a 550 which is a small, nimble saw. More of a bucking saw than a limber.

I was talking cc wise the 550 is only 50cc's and the 590 echo is just 9.8cc's more.
I've not seen a 550 husky.

I was talking cc wise the 550 is only 50cc's and the 590 echo is just 9.8cc's more.
I've not seen a 550 husky.

9.8ccs isn't much larger, but at this level, that's about 20% more displacement. The 550xp is light compared to other 50cc saws. The cs590 is heavy compared to 60cc saws. There will be a huge difference between the two of them. The Husky is a lightweight powerhouse, great limbing and small firewood saw. The Echo is a good saw for bucking and felling the next size up trees. It offers great bang for the buck, but you sacrifice power to weight ratio versus the offerings from Husky in that size class.

Those Echos are great saws for the money. Personally, I'd be pretty happy with a cs590 and a Dolmar 421 if I could only spend $750 on saws. That'd be a pretty solid two saw plan for less than a 60cc Stihl.

If weight is a concern than the Echo 500P beats the husky 550 and is a 50cc saw.
500P Weight is 10.6 pounds, cost $449.95.
550 xtp weight is 10.8 2 ounces fatter Cost ($619.45) more and doesn't come with the 5 year warranty for home owners or 1 year for commercial use.

If weight is a concern than the Echo 500P beats the husky 550 and is a 50cc saw.
500P Weight is 10.6 pounds, cost $449.95.
550 xtp weight is 10.8 2 ounces fatter Cost ($619.45) more and doesn't come with the 5 year warranty for home owners or 1 year for commercial use.

Don't take this the wrong way. I've owned an Echo saw in the past, and I'd love to own one again. Echo makes good saws. The 490 or 500 are a good example of a lightweight limbing saw. Definitely more comparable to the 346xp than the 590/600/620. For the money they are tough to beat.

However, the 550xp blows those little Echos out of the water in terms of power. HP/$ goes to Echo. HP/# goes to Husky. No way around it. Of a guy wants a saw to replace his 346, it's the 550. If a guy wants a lightweight limbing saw that's almost good and costs a lot less, it could be the Echo, although personally I'd be buying a Dolmar.

Lastly, it's worth noting that most people on here will insist that the Echo saws are tuned lean and very choked up from the factory. It's an easy fix, of course, a little grinding on the muffler trimming the limiter caps on the carb. Reports are that the saws REALLY wake up with just 20 minutes of work. However, that right there throws your warranty right out the window. Personally, that wouldn't bother me. Echo equipment has an excellent reputation for longevity, durability, and build quality, so voiding the warranty wouldn't concern me, but it's something to be aware of. You either get a choked up saw that you can't tune rich enough or a saw without a warranty

Definitely, but you won't have much luck posting it in a 5 year old thread ;)
Haha. For sure. I was just trying to look into what it’s value might be and stumbled across that discussion. It’s been at my cabin and I think I used it on two trees over the years. Time to let it go.

Haha. For sure. I was just trying to look into what it’s value might be and stumbled across that discussion. It’s been at my cabin and I think I used it on two trees over the years. Time to let it go.
They're a very well respected saw (& for good reason)
If you come up with a good description (photos help, ideally 1 of the piston through the exhaust port & a compression test) & a fair price I'm sure you'll have no trouble selling it

They're a very well respected saw (& for good reason)
If you come up with a good description (photos help, ideally 1 of the piston through the exhaust port & a compression test) & a fair price I'm sure you'll have no trouble selling it
I'm not too crazy about taking the mufflers off those Husqvarna saws because some have a tendency to come loose. If the muffler's on tight I like to leave it alone. A compression test will usually do..

S

so, I have a Husky 346XP that I’ve had for years but have only used a couple of times. Is there a market for that?
Yes, there is a good market for them. I had 3 of them and sold all of them for $400 each or very close to it. These were 2nd gen saws with the primer bulb. I replaced them with a 2020 550xp. I love that new saw.

Honestly, these days the ms261 makes more sense then the 550mk2. Just from a weight standpoint. Same hp rating between the two. The 550mk2 is all but a pound heavier, then the 261 or 346xp. Really just keep running the 346xp. They were the best 50cc saw back in the day. Husqy came up short with this version....

Back