346xpw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jokers

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi All, got the 346XPW late yesterday, didn`t have a chance to test it in wood fiber last night but that`s OK because I was teleconferencing with Otto anyway. Hadn`t fired her up yet last night, but Otto and I decided that it would definitely outcut any 066M, as long as you run the 346 on straight Toyota Tundra gas. Anyway, dawn broke early(11:30 AM) and clear, so I got to test her on some 4' dbh Black Walnut I have growing behind my house. First I`ll show you a pic of my custom saw rack I designed and built just for this saw. It`s mounted on my new Timber Jack skidder. Look closely, beyond the skidder and you will see a Timber Wolf, native to this area of New York, coming up the skid trail. They are extra hungry and thus fearless this year due to the extraordinary amount of snow we have had.

Another view of the rack and 346XPW with a pesky wolf trying to flank me! That`s why they run in packs.

Here`s a pic of the mighty 346 after dumping this 4'dbh veneer grade Walnut stem. Unbelievable! I haven`t conferred with Otto yet, but I`m confident that he will agree that this saw will outcut any Stihl ever made!

Unfortunately with the deep snow, wolf packs, and soft ground underneath, I had to leave this beautiful stem laying in the woods, probably until about August when things dry up enough to skid `er out. Here`s a pic of the skid trail so you can see what I mean. Russ

Wow Russ...glad to see you made it out of there alive!! Those wolves can get pretty mean....I can see the teeth on that bad boy...he is one mean sucker....

Here is a wolf I was chased by the other day..just turned around in time to catch him when he was at his weakest point...

-When Husky comes out with a riding vacuum cleaner, then I will clean the house.

Russ, I am curently working with John Walker on a 346xp also.
I was wondering if you wen't with 3/8 chain or stayed with the .325? John say that with the power curve of the 346 i would be better of with the .325. Faster chain speed faster cut.
Just wondering what you thought. he recomended .325 to me.
thanks

346 husky

hello russ,
that wolf looks lean and hungry, I'd be careful. Nice looking
husky. with everyone building 346 husky's we had better get together and have a little race and see what runs the best.heres a photo of a little stihl i got at the flea market last week that i'd like to run against tundraotto's 372 and your 346 just to see if it runs ok. got a strange exhaust though.
ken

Sweet Looking Climbing Saw

That`s what that is right?:D That looks just like the saw Gypo gave me to top all those walnut that almost got me in so much trouble.I now know where the term stinger comes from though, after that thing kept swinging around on the lanyard and trying to come in my backdoor. I think your on to something with the race idea. Still haven`t got my 372 to UPS to be shipped to you, too busy out dumping "giant walnut" with my new fellin' saw.LOL. Like I`ve said before, I`ve got nothing to compare it too since I doubt Dennis even has the first saw I sent him and I haven`t sent you my favorite, the 372, but this little 346 sure is sweet. John Walker did a real nice job on it and I`m very happy that I had it done. It was just going to be an ATV saw but it`s way too good for that now. I`m feeling like a teenager with a new girlfriend, with all the positive anticipation I`m feeling about getting the saws back from You and Dennis.

Hi Woodsjunkie, I find that very curious that John recomended the .325 chain to you, I figured I was stuck with the .325 and he suggested the 3/8. I`ll tell you there was no discernable performance loss running the 3/8s on a 20" bar in frozen hardwood, cut like a hot knife through butter. I do have a buttload of different bars and chains and sprockets so I will try them all to see what`s best. I probably won`t have any solid conclusions until it`s too late to help you though. I guess that if I were you, I`d do what I did and let John decide. You should be very happy with your new purchase. Let me know when the 026 goes to ebay. Russ

hi russ! nice looking saw you got there - does a tach read how high it revs with the toyota gas - i bet youre running at least 20000rpm with that super gas:D mere 066s for breakfast with that speed demon....we could try locate some synthetic oil from toyota and go after the 088s - lmao.

PS. that saw looks really purdy.....lol - ill let you race kd's climbing saw with the 346xp because its obviously way out of its class racing my 372 - :D

rofl....:laugh:

Yeah Otto I tached it, I had to have Gypo phone tach it though because the twenty thousand hour battery in my tach is worn out. He says I was only getting 19,500 rpm, but I think that since I just recently switched from Sprint to MCI for long distance, maybe we were getting some phone line induced error giving me the disappointing reading. :jester: Russ

kd - what kind of power you get out of that stihl? and most importantly on a race saw like that - what rpms can you keep while cutting on a "perfect cut":confused: i know your top end goes up when you tune - but does your cutting rpm go up as well - ie. does the powerband get a lot narrower?

race saw

hello tundraotto,
That particular saw cuts at 12400 in a 20 inch log, bigger log, less rpm. thats why its critical to match your raker settings to the saw. the log , and how hard you push
the horsepower on that motor is probably around 18-20 hp. the more you go on the exhaust duration the more pipey it gets and the narrower your powerband gets. if you push to hard and pull it down out of the power band you lose the race
iv'e got a 394 thats as fast as that 084, cut some 8 inch cants with uncle arts martinized chain today that he,s sending to john lambert. the best we got was a .7 cut in a 8 inch cant with the 394 with a muffler
ken kdhotsaw

thanks ken that makes perfect sense - now the guys in the competitions surely have a really narrow rpm range to work with so the sawyer really comes to his own as - like you said you get out of the powerband youre done. meanwhile a good sawyer can regulate the pressure on the saw more well so the powerband can be "safely" made narrower and the exhaust duration increased even more to get more hp?!?!? and so it goes on right. that .7s for a 8" seems incredible to me - my word that saw must be a beast..

ps i bet lambert will love more of arts' chain since what obviously happened was that he was cutting rock maple again and found some rocks nearby - :p

After seeing Jokers fine custom mounting work, I figured I might
give it a try. Mine is a two-up consisting of corrugated and shock
cords. The saws didn't move a millimeter, but I sure did.

This is the Cadillac of gas and bar oil mounts. Patent Pending and
all that happy horsesh!t. Don't you dare copy! (actually works
quite well)

This Wolf likes to check out the scene, and make sure all is up to
snuff before I call it a day. On the lookout, for any critter that
ain't supposed to be there.

Hi Scott, that Jony Red looks like it has so much stump power that it blew all the ground litter away from that stump for at least a hectare!
Glad you brought back this old post, it shows how far we have all come to date.
Heres a picture of my skidder when I logged Montana Mountain in the Yukon in the Rush of 99'.
John

Back