35 or 31 inches for a felling axe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seeking advice! I'm turning 50 this year; my two girls want to give me a splendid gift: a Gransford felling axe! But there are two length available for the handle, 31 or 35 inches? I'm 6'2'' 200lbs. What would be your recommendation?

http://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/store/felling-axes-by-gransfors-bruks.html

Gransfors Bruks makes some very nice tools, for a stiff price. In Sweden even, other foundries also make very nice axes, for far less. Wetterlings (owned by same person as GB) and Hultafors Bruks pop to mind.

I'd point them to Council Tools, too- an emerging American maker of quality edge tools.

This is not like cosmetics, where increased price implies higher quality. Remember "Sure it costs more, but I'm worth it."? Pretty tools distract from the job, and safety, IMHO.

Length would depend, for me, on ground-level congestion. Thick pucker-bushes -> shorter handle.

I take down most trees under 12 inches diameter with an ax just because I like doing it that way. Some times I use the ax on larger ones and frequently section firewood logs to haul home for later sawing to length. I like the feel and seeing the chips fly. I'm just shy of 6 foot and make my own handles 40 inches total length. I would get the longest offered, it will still be to short for someone your size.

The double bit seems to hit more accurately for me. Three pounds is kinda light tho. My favorite started out with a five pound head, but has lost a couple of ounces due to 60 years of sharpening.

I have used axes with head shape shown and prefer axes with a straight line on the part of the head away from the handle and with less curve on the cutting edge.

Last edited:
You can always rehaft it if you do not like the length one way or another. I have their forest axe and find it really fun in bushcraft.

Many thanks everybody for the feedback & advice! I did place the order for a 35 inches handle. I love my TimberWolf T1, but during wintertime at minus 20C I just love splitting with a maul, and in the same mind frame, cutting down a 10-12 inches tree with a feeling axe just great! I presently have a Mastercraft axe.... I promise you guy it won't be a show piece. It will get dirty quick!
Phil

Out here, a felling ax is an ax fallers pack around to drive in plastic wedges that are used to get the tree on the ground in the direction you want it to go and to pry/chop out the face cut if it doesn't want to pop out. One faller did tell me that his dad quit coming over to saw him out when he first started working and would have a tree set back. He did have to chop his saw out with the ax.

Ax handle lengths were sorta standardized when the average height of a male was 5 foot 7 inches. If that is your height a three foot felling ax will fit you perfectly. We are talking about the axes used to fell trees, not a hammer with a sharpened poll.

A description of a faller's ax. Not a hammer. From the Madsen's catalog.

Council
Faller's Axe
Axes & Mauls

The COUNCIL FALLER'S AXE head
features a narrow-ground bit for chopping,
thick cheeks for strength, and a
finish-ground poll (heel) for driving
plastic wedges. The head is made
from American bar quality steel, but
patterned from a European style, so
you might find them a little heavy for
their weight classification. It is also