357xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lionsfan

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Decide I'd really like another 3 series saw. Tell me what I need to know about the 357xp, yeah's and nay's. I will say upfront, I don't want a new auto-tune, even if the price is right.

Awesome saw, 4hp, good oiler, not the lightest in class at 13lbs but she's fast. Crank stuffers give it the edge over a 359. Some have auto decomps that should be disabled. 07 and later got all the updates including the metal intake clamp.
I don't mind the weight. I like my old 257 size/weight wise, but I can have a sip of coffee after I mash the throttle before she's wound up.

I’ve heard that there is a feller in MI that free up the xtra sausage in a 357XP.

I've snooped around his shop once or twice. 100 saws of various makes and size setting around with a fresh coat of carnuba wax on them and one old beat up 357xp covered in bar oil and wood chips. Kind of says something don't it?

From what I understand, The crank stuffers reduce the volume in the crankcase. They allow the same saw chassis to use a smaller cylinder bore without losing efficiency. I have never ran a 357xp, but I understand that they are noticeably faster than the 359's. Remember, the 357 has a more aggressively ported cylinder as well. the problem is that they aren't easy to find and usually command big bucks for a used saw with unknown history. I have owned several 359's and love the balance and handling of this chassis.

Back