357XPG Worth rebuilding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It' been a long cold winter and I haven't wanted to put much work into saws. Made a push a few weeks ago and finished up the the 357XPG. I was running low on firewood and wanted to see what all the fuss is about heated handle bars. It is a lovely saw and the warm handle bars are awesome when cutting in the cold and wet.

The saw is a little temperamental though. When it starts getting low on gas is leans out and dies. Always starts back up in a pull or two. Seems like the tank vent is clogged but I'll check the fuel line and filter as well.

View attachment 724547 View attachment 724548 View attachment 724549
To check your tank vent, just turn saw on it's side and crack fuel cap open. If it clears up, it's the vent.

I seem to recall those saws have a feature of the carb that compensates for the air filter getting restricted when it gets dirty....the metering side I think is vented to the air filter interior...there is a thread to converting the carb back to a std. configuration that cures the finickey tune issue....think it is a lakeside thread....but heated handles oh ya of course the is a metal clamp intake boot update ....enjoy!

Rebuild it. My first husky 240sg had heated handles. You could cut with no gloves in the dead of winter limbing. I miss that saw, it was all metal.

Back