36" splitter build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantoo

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've been working on this thing for awhile now and have been making little progress. Just too much crap going on to be able to spend much time on it. Have tons of rounds already cut up and ready to be split with this rig. Here are a few pics in no real order. Someday this winter I will do an actual build thread. She's got a tall wedge.
IMG_20151128_161502.jpg
IMG_20151130_204543.jpg
IMG_20151130_204549.jpg
IMG_20151130_204541.jpg
IMG_20151130_204521.jpg

I've been working on this thing for awhile now and have been making little progress. Just too much crap going on to be able to spend much time on it. Have tons of rounds already cut up and ready to be split with this rig. Here are a few pics in no real order. Someday this winter I will do an actual build thread. She's got a tall wedge.
View attachment 465568
View attachment 465569
View attachment 465571
View attachment 465572
View attachment 465574
Very nice! Looks like a real production machine.
Sorry to hear about your Father.

Looks good so far. I'm at the age where I don't want to handle wood that long. I am thinking in the future to cut it all at 16" and just throw it in two deep. LOL
Keep up the good work.

Nice build! I built one a few years back for my skidloader. If your not planning on boxing in the end I strongly recommend doing so. I twisted mine and it was no fun straightening it back out.

image.jpeg

czar800, did you make the loader adapter plate or purchase one? reason that I ask is we have a homemade splitter that has a 3pt hookup but also use on the skid steer by c clamping to pallet forks. I would like to be able to use the quick attach feature tough to make it more stable.

czar800, did you make the loader adapter plate or purchase one? reason that I ask is we have a homemade splitter that has a 3pt hookup but also use on the skid steer by c clamping to pallet forks. I would like to be able to use the quick attach feature tough to make it more stable.

I made it, if and when you make one make it heavy! Mine is all 1/2" plate.

I'm not getting too excited yet. I've only tested it by powering it with an old splitter and it was god awful slow. I just needed to cycle it to get measurements to mount the cylinder. Got another $200 worth of hoses and fittings today, only need 5 more fittings. I wish I had of just taken it to a shop and had them custom make all the hoses and ends. Or I could have trailered it to Princess Auto and did them all right in the parking lot. Might be able to fire things up this weekend if I can find about 50 hours between now and then. Then I have to do the log tables on it. I have it on my shop at home now so maybe I will get it done because now it's in the way.

I'm not getting too excited yet. I've only tested it by powering it with an old splitter and it was god awful slow. I just needed to cycle it to get measurements to mount the cylinder. Got another $200 worth of hoses and fittings today, only need 5 more fittings. I wish I had of just taken it to a shop and had them custom make all the hoses and ends. Or I could have trailered it to Princess Auto and did them all right in the parking lot. Might be able to fire things up this weekend if I can find about 50 hours between now and then. Then I have to do the log tables on it. I have it on my shop at home now so maybe I will get it done because now it's in the way.

And I though our splitter was ridiculous...

Have you found an engine for it yet? Keep an eye on some beat to crap snowblowers, being in Goderich, there should be no short supply...

Ours is currently running a 13hp honda that we got off a free Honda snowblower that someone mangled. Alongside a free cylinder off a crane truck that transported landscaping stone. Needless to say, either he wood spits, or the guide rails on the ram break off

Well the 1st run didn't go so well. Princess Auto bit me in the azz good. Went there this morning and got the last of the fittings I needed. Got home and got them put on, added oil to the engine. Took apart some fittings at the filters and got everything full of hydraulic oil. Took off the line after the pump and had my wife hold the hose into a funnel into a pail to make everything flow as easy as possible. Figured once I got that oil flowing I would hook it back up to the valve and it should pump oil the rest of the way easily. Had it running at an idle and oil flow into the pail was slow and just globs not really a smooth flow. Thought maybe still sucking air somewhere so I unhooked the filter again and it was full of oil. Tried it again and still just globbing little bursts of oil out. Oh well figured I would hook everything up and see if some resistance would help smooth the flow out. Hooked that line up but took the tank return and did the pail routine with it. Still only globs of oil, yanked the valve handles a few times and nothing much different in flow. Walked around to other side of splitter and that's when I looked at the piece of crap suction hose that the "expert" at Princess Auto assured me was what "everyone" uses. Flat as a board. Sheet Sheet Sheet. Too little too late. Changed out the hose for a semi rigid piece I had and got ready to give it another go. Decided I might as well pour the little bit that was in the pail back into the tank. Started to pour it into the tank and it was dark gray and smelled burnt. I'm sure that means the pump is still good right? Figured I had little to lose so I hooked everything back up and tried it. It will pump oil but doesn't build much pressure so the cylinder hardly moves. When I bottom out the cylinder the pump squeals and goes into 2nd stage then the pressure drops right off to nothing. Man, I really need to reconsider how devoted I am to Princess Auto. I knew the hose was no good. I even said to the guy then why does the Speeco on the floor have a clear suction hose with a spring inside it if "everybody" uses the "heater" hose he sold me? I wanted to use 1" hydraulic hose and he said it was a waste of money. What are the chances he's there when I go back and try to get a new pump? Might be a problem because the motor and pump were complete and I just want to replace the pump? Maybe I better just take the whole thing there? 1st picture is pretty crappy but you can see how flat the hose is. Figured I better have something to show them for warranty.
I have another used pump that will bolt right on so tomorrow I'll give it a shot just to confirm it's the pump.
IMG_20151205_171240.jpg IMG_20151205_171246.jpg

I only go to princess auto when I have to. And when I do I sure don't ask for help. Never found anyone there new sheep **** from a cherry stone...

It dont take long starving a pump for oil to burn it up. If you changed out the suction hose and the pump still isnt working, things dont look good. It dont take much pressure to make the cyl move, but it does take flow. I would guess the pump is toast.

Well, I should be buying a lottery ticket. Spare pump had a different sized shaft so I decided to really make sure the original pump was the problem. Started replumbing to isolate different parts of the system. I have 2 filters on the oil lines, 1 is all new and 1 was used, guess what the used one has some issues. I removed it and put the hose to the pump in a pail of hydraulic fluid. Started the engine and before I could even get to the valve to try it the pail was empty. Shut her down quick and hooked the lines back up without the used filter. Everything worked smooth and fast. Took it outside and within an hour, wife, son and I had 8 crates full of poplar wood split stacked in crates and put away. The thing works awesome and I'm sure glad I restarted and did the 4 way wedge. I'll be doing up the rest of the poplar next weekend and then start on the ash. This thing sure cranks out the wood, even tried out double splitting 16" stuff and it works fast at that too. 36" stroke so I put 2 16' long pieces end to end and split them with the 4 way.
I still have to do the splitting tables but now that the thing is working so well I've decided to change the tables from what I had already planned. Lets just say it involves 5 roller conveyors that I bought for a project a few years ago.

Well, I should be buying a lottery ticket. Spare pump had a different sized shaft so I decided to really make sure the original pump was the problem. Started replumbing to isolate different parts of the system. I have 2 filters on the oil lines, 1 is all new and 1 was used, guess what the used one has some issues. I removed it and put the hose to the pump in a pail of hydraulic fluid. Started the engine and before I could even get to the valve to try it the pail was empty. Shut her down quick and hooked the lines back up without the used filter. Everything worked smooth and fast. Took it outside and within an hour, wife, son and I had 8 crates full of poplar wood split stacked in crates and put away. The thing works awesome and I'm sure glad I restarted and did the 4 way wedge. I'll be doing up the rest of the poplar next weekend and then start on the ash. This thing sure cranks out the wood, even tried out double splitting 16" stuff and it works fast at that too. 36" stroke so I put 2 16' long pieces end to end and split them with the 4 way.
I still have to do the splitting tables but now that the thing is working so well I've decided to change the tables from what I had already planned. Lets just say it involves 5 roller conveyors that I bought for a project a few years ago.
Good to hear that you got it going.
I use a single wire 1 inch hydraulic hose as my suction line. 16 GPM 2 stage on a 10 horse G400 Honda. No fittings or sharp bends, just a very large suction screen
in the tank. 100 mesh with a by-pass on the end of it. Did you use a spin on filter on the suction line?

Latest posts

Back