370 vs 3/8 Chain, Slight Rant & Big Thanks!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeave96

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Firstly, BIG THANKS to everyone for answering my pesky questions - you folks are the BEST!!!!!

I find that at work and now at my local Stihl dealer that I can't just take someone's "here's what you need" advise without checking-out what they are telling me is accurate. I like having dealer suppport and don't mind paying more for it rather than make the first option the big box store - but... I trust my Stihl dealer to give me the right stuff for my saw, but while figuring out what bar and chain combo I need for my fine 038 and 034 saws, I'm finding the dealer doesn't know his a#@ from a hole in the ground EVEN when I bring the saw with me for him to see with his very own eyes.

Both saws are set-up for 3/8 pitch chain, .050 and 60 links yet when I ask for a new chain and check what he gave me, I got a .370 non-Stihl chain vs 3/8. I then have a look at my files and he gives me two different diameters!

Maybe I need to pay more attention too.

As to the chain question, I take it that 3/8 ( which = .375) pitch chain is close enough to .370 chain? I assume .370 is the pitch? I have never heard of .370 chain. Is this some kind of odd-ball size, what saw would use it, can I use it in place of 3/8 chain?

Thanks again for everyone's answers to my questions. I've got some great saws and am a learning work in progress.

Bill

Firstly, BIG THANKS to everyone for answering my pesky questions - you folks are the BEST!!!!!

I find that at work and now at my local Stihl dealer that I can't just take someone's "here's what you need" advise without checking-out what they are telling me is accurate. I like having dealer suppport and don't mind paying more for it rather than make the first option the big box store - but... I trust my Stihl dealer to give me the right stuff for my saw, but while figuring out what bar and chain combo I need for my fine 038 and 034 saws, I'm finding the dealer doesn't know his a#@ from a hole in the ground EVEN when I bring the saw with me for him to see with his very own eyes.

Both saws are set-up for 3/8 pitch chain, .050 and 60 links yet when I ask for a new chain and check what he gave me, I got a .370 non-Stihl chain vs 3/8. I then have a look at my files and he gives me two different diameters!

Maybe I need to pay more attention too.

As to the chain question, I take it that 3/8 ( which = .375) pitch chain is close enough to .370 chain? I assume .370 is the pitch? I have never heard of .370 chain. Is this some kind of odd-ball size, what saw would use it, can I use it in place of 3/8 chain?

Thanks again for everyone's answers to my questions. I've got some great saws and am a learning work in progress.

Bill
yer kidding, right?

Never heard of .370.
I'd just go back and tell'em what you want.

Is there a brand name on the chain? BOX?

Never heard of .370.
I'd just go back and tell'em what you want.

Is there a brand name on the chain? BOX?

No the dealer handed it to me in a clear zip lock plastic bag. I think it was a chain he made-up.

Thanks,
Bill

Old thread, new life. I just got a couple of new NOS chains that are marked 370 on the drive. I run a 72 chain, and the only difference is .005 between the two. Both 3/8 and .050. I guess the minuet difference is nothing, but I'll find out when I get the #72 master links and tool next week.

....Researching .370 chain myself, e-mail rec'd back from the folks at Cannon

Bill Challenger <[email protected]

370 pitch chain is also called Low Profile, LP or Picco

You should not use regular 3/8” (.375”) pitch chain on a sprocket designed for 3/8” low profile chain.

Bill Challenger
President
Cannon Bar Works Ltd.

Latest posts

Back