372 crankcase repair bad spot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rcat8872

Reaction score
Hey Guys
My 372 is cracked right where the oil fill cap threads are. It really leaks bad. I think JB Weld might fix it but how do I get a good seal? I need to leave the cap inserted during the repair but how do I keep the JB from permanently bonding to it? I’m currently looking for a replacement crankcase but would like a short term fix in the meantime.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 106A7968-0174-4491-807E-DDF518016F89.jpeg
    106A7968-0174-4491-807E-DDF518016F89.jpeg
    27.2 KB · Views: 50
Yeah, I thought about plastic wrap or some really thin rubber membrane material. I’ve also thought about Vaseline or some type of release agent that the JB won’t stick to. Thanks for the input!

Car wax, shoe polish. Check out a rifle bedding video to see what they use and to convince yourself your not going to glue in the cap.

Degrease it, add a light coating of oil to the cap only and install. Make some dams up with clay and try JB, just unscrew the cap when the JB stiffens up but is still pliable.

You have nothing to lose.

I’m amazed at what JB weld has fixed over the years. It’s great for filling areas, not great for structural issues.

Ok guys, I’m gonna continue looking for a case or case half locally but in the meantime I’m gonna try JB weld just for the heck of it. I like the past wax and Vaseline ideas but am also considering wrapping the oil cap threads with Teflon plumbers tape since I figure it’ll lay nicely in the threads. I’ll let y’all know if it works or not.

Back