372 Pston swap/mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m only at 200ft.
That's pretty low, figured you'd be higher.
Is the 268 piston better than stock once ported? Probably not. But it does turn a stock saw into a much stronger saw by just dropping a piston in.
That's what I figured, so back the OP. Lots of guys have done it and some with more statistical results, but I still like to ask as new places to build power are sometimes found.

The meteor piston came with a Caber F-cast ring. It's going to take some run time to get that to seat and see what the final comp numbers are. I would prefer to take more off the band and take some off the base but with the short skirt on the 268 the intake duration is already as long as I would ever want. Guess the next thing to try is dropping the jug more and epoxying the intake back up. Also I'm not trying to build a race saw here, just a strong work saw. I have no desire to build a race saw.

Backwards? I just noticed one of my new pistons has the arrow and ring gap on the exhaust side. Running the piston and ring in the bore past the exhaust port by hand I feel a bump when the ring gap passes the open exhaust port. Someone goofed.

I just put a 268 popup into a 371. I found taking .040” off for popup wasn’t enough. With the OEM gasket my squish was .010” (too tight for sure). I just cut the popup down to 0.048”. No big deal but keep in mind that you need to check the squish before final reassembly. Every cylinder is different.

I just put a 268 popup into a 371. I found taking .040” off for popup wasn’t enough. With the OEM gasket my squish was .010” (too tight for sure). I just cut the popup down to 0.048”. No big deal but keep in mind that you need to check the squish before final reassembly. Every cylinder is different.
That’s really weird. I’ve done at least 4 268 piston swaps and with .040 pop up squish was always around .025. But yes I totally agree with you should always be checking squish

Latest posts

Back