372xp top end on an x-torque

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildman ben

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I've heard of guys doing this and know it can be done and all that, but is it just as simple as removing the piston and cylinder from the XT and putting in the P&C from a non XT in there? or do other components need to be switched out also?

nextly, do they still manufacture OEM non x-torque top ends? I want to stay away from those hutzl / aftermarket top ends because I would be doing a work saw. maximum power / durability ect.

if you running short bars an OE is the top end to have. needs the whole intake right to the filter holder from the older design to go with it though. i have both ported and i'll take the XT anyday over the OE running longer bars. hell, to me it's not even worth the swap when running shorter bars. alot of guys here say XT's don't last but they are full of it. going by tons of saws being used for production they last just as long as the old design. the top cover, brake handle, and wrap are also different but don't need to be swapped if you don't want to.

But nobody will port these damn xt's hahaha do you happen to have pictures of the port job on your xt? Base gasket removed?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

People do mod them for sure, what I meant was I can't find any reputable builders on the west coast canada who will do it. So I may do it myself and mimic the pictures on the other forum but grind much less to stay safe

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Maybe not on the west coast of canada, but I'm pretty sure any of the builders on here will port them, and they all ship them.

Mike

i will take an xpw (51.4) cylinder over the x torq any day ,any way,any bar length. yes they are sill available. i use the boot,collar and ring from the 390xp,clamp from the old school 372 on the 390 boot. i build and sell these saws brand new to people all the time. if you want to make the new xtorq saw last you need to swap the crank bearings out. the new ones have a plastic cage and the old ones have metal cage. crank bearings are the most common problem on new saws these days.

Mdavlee ported mine Ben. Someone who hasn't seen these saws used in production doesn't have an opinion. Maybe there was a day when they first came out that they were unreliable but that is no longer true. There are guys who get the saws built as an OE here on the coast and guys that don't. All the saws are lasting the same OE or XT with the same bottom end and being ran with 36" bars. C&L supplies in Campbell river port them by the way too Ben and they make them mean. Going by Terry's logic you would need to do the bearings anyways regardless but everyone else and I don't worry about it and have the saws last just fine. The XT takes the cake for the coast work. The OE is a capable saw but I would never spend the money to convert one. Pilon sell them converted to the 51.4 and ported just like Terry except they are $1800 CAD

the reason id say put metal cage bearings in them is the fact that i probably do nearly an average of 50 bottom ends a year on the newer saws that have the plastic cages.im not talking just 372 ,im talking all that have plastic cages. there didnt used to be near as many bottom end failures come in ,in years past. i have talked to my rep about the failures now compared to the past and he says its not just my shop that sees it. running 32:1 oil ratio seems to help the problem a lot.

the reason id say put metal cage bearings in them is the fact that i probably do nearly an average of 50 bottom ends a year on the newer saws that have the plastic cages.im not talking just 372 ,im talking all that have plastic cages. there didnt used to be near as many bottom end failures come in ,in years past. i have talked to my rep about the failures now compared to the past and he says its not just my shop that sees it. running 32:1 oil ratio seems to help the problem a lot.
Do you see a lot of 576xp bottom end failures? I understand they have larger bearings then the 372s and are a unique PN.

Do you see a lot of 576xp bottom end failures? I understand they have larger bearings then the 372s and are a unique PN.

same size bearings in a 576 except the 576 uses a PTO bearing with an integrated seal. if i get 8 months out of a saw i'll be happy. they usually get smooshed somehow before that lol the 372XT's are lasting 2 years production in many cases. that's alot of wood cut at 8-10 tanks a day for 200-240 days a year. a tank lasts close to 45 min, convert that to hours. i've seen XT's with cooked mains but i've seen OE's with cooked mains just as often. i've seen way more with cooked big ends. everyone has a preference. i own both OE's and XT's. i'll take either happily but prefer the XT for big wood.

i dont see quite as many of the 576 but its not because its any better,its just not as popular. i sell 1 out of 10 saws as a 576. they just havent been that popular in this area

same size bearings in a 576 except the 576 uses a PTO bearing with an integrated seal. if i get 8 months out of a saw i'll be happy. they usually get smooshed somehow before that lol the 372XT's are lasting 2 years production in many cases. that's alot of wood cut at 8-10 tanks a day for 200-240 days a year. a tank lasts close to 45 min, convert that to hours. i've seen XT's with cooked mains but i've seen OE's with cooked mains just as often. i've seen way more with cooked big ends. everyone has a preference. i own both OE's and XT's. i'll take either happily but prefer the XT for big wood.
Good to know. Happy with my 576, just somewhat worried about long term reliability. Only had two years and not a whole lot of hours on it.
i dont see quite as many of the 576 but its not because its any better,its just not as popular. i sell 1 out of 10 saws as a 576. they just havent been that popular in this area
10% is a pretty big sales percentage honestly. Do you feel they have any inherent weaknesses in the design or is it less then ideal parts from the OEM?

Good to know. Happy with my 576, just somewhat worried about long term reliability. Only had two years and not a whole lot of hours on it.

10% is a pretty big sales percentage honestly. Do you feel they have any inherent weaknesses in the design or is it less then ideal parts from the OEM?

if your not a production cutter you have absolutely nothing to worry about even running 50:1. 95% of AS are not capable of actually wearing out a saw. when i started i had a 576AT i put at least 600 tanks through before i sold it. it still ran like a top and i actually missed it but i knew i wasn't gonna use it anymore. the 372 is lighter, handles better, and makes more power (despite some claims). the 576 is still a good saw though.

Define "production cutter". If I have the saw running I burn 2-2 1/2 gal of gas a day and not a drop less. Does not get 240 days a year like that, but when she runs she gets run hard. I have actually boiled the bar oil in it before going from cut to cut to cut and only stopping to throw in a fresh chain or re fuel and oil.

Do like how the 576 handles vs a 372 (ran a 372 first and for more hours belive it or not). I like it being wider and a bit longer powerhead. Feels more solid for bucking. I think limbing the 372 works better. The 576 only really feels right bucking.

the 372 handles much better to me. everyones opinions differ but mine is that the 372 is better in every way. if you have to ask me to define production cutter you have nothing to worry about. just cut wood. you may cut more then the average AS member but your not a production cutter is you gotta ask.

Thats the joke mate. I probably cut 100 cord a year, if that. Not a lot of wood. Noted that is firewood length but still. Probably another 20 from cleanup jobs. I know I do not work too much since I have time (and energy) to talk about it at the end of the day.

I always preferred the 576 to the 372 x torq. Never really put enough hours on the old style one to form an opinion but it really did not impress me in stock form or live up to the hype.

Thats the joke mate. I probably cut 100 cord a year, if that. Not a lot of wood. Noted that is firewood length but still. Probably another 20 from cleanup jobs. I know I do not work too much since I have time (and energy) to talk about it at the end of the day.

I always preferred the 576 to the 372 x torq. Never really put enough hours on the old style one to form an opinion but it really did not impress me in stock form or live up to the hype.

100 cord a year is significant compared to most here. alot here polish saws and don't even cut wood. lol

Back