372xpw fix or sell

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hallrdave

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been using my ms290 to cut up about 4 to 6 cord a year but sometimes I run into beautiful logs I wish I could mill into useable lumber. I came across this 372xpw with the intentions of buying an alaskan mill for and use solely as a lumber mill. I was planning on buying a muffler, bar, chain and mill and get this thing going. Saw fires right up and seems to run strong for the few minutes I've had it run but could use some adjustments to get it dialed in. Is it worth the $ to try to save or is it not worth the aggravation? The dealer down the street had a hard time trying to find the appropriate muffler given the attached tag.

Would you replace the cylinder head and try to buy the top plastic or run it as is (after getting a muffler)?
Thanks
20181128_133452.jpg 20181128_133534.jpg 20181128_133523.jpg 20181128_133435.jpg

Attachments

• 20181128_133548.jpg
    20181128_133548.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
Thank you! That's what I was hoping to hear. Do you think the plastics, handle or chain brake are worth the added expense if I'm going to use it solely for milling? I'll just have to keep an eye on the chips to make sure nothing's getting where it shouldn't. If it is I'll have to adjust accordingly.

That saw has been around the block a few times. Tear it down, look it over closely and decide. Certainly those cooling fins are a problem, and the top cover is not something to leave off for any length of time under hard work.

Saw is definitely worth the $ to repair correctly. Repair and sell and put the proceeds toward a larger saw for milling. I would think you would need 90cc minimum.

+1 I would sell the 290 and buy a new P/C for the saw usually 170ish oem xpw top end... Keep the good used piston they are like gold. I never see any used 51.4mm pistons just 50mm. Top covers are pretty reasonable. But my point is you can trade up from a ms290 to a xpw and perhaps have some money to spare... Other than weight they aren't even close to the same class of saw. You will probably never run your 290 again after you run your 372 for a bit. You can use it sparingly for a mill till you can afford a bigger one.

So many choices! I posted another thread looking for parts. Does anyone know if hutzl parts are interchangeable with OEM? I'm going to buy an OEM cylinder head (once I get the part number) and buy whatever I can off Ebay. To help cut down on costs. Thanks everyone

Huztl parts are copies of husky parts. Sometimes they need slight manipulation to fit up, but they're usually fine.

That saw is going to take time and cost you. If you're okay with that you're going to have a top tier machine.

A lot of guys have already said it's not big enough for milling. They are correct. Milling is slow, hot and cuts in the worst possible direction. It takes torque and lots of bar oil. Even in little wood. It will handle occasional short cuts, but even one hard day of milling could really set you back.

Think I had one of those come through here a while back, spare piston sitting on my shelf with that measurement, he told me that it was 75 cc and was put on to a 372 as an upgrade but evidently they only made that model for about 3 years so I think a P&C off a 372 should bolt right on, worth checking out.

get the saw running and cut 10 cords this year and sell the extra 4 cords to pay for the necessary upgrades you want to do so you can mill with it.

Back