38 special stump grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikewhite85

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Have you guys ever used one of these? https://www.branchmanagerusa.com/shop/stump-grinders/38-special-stump-grinder/ How does it compare to compare to your typical Rayco/Vermeer 25hp machines? I've owned a 252 and an alpine magnum in the past. I do not currently have a grinder but sub my stumps. I'm always concerned that my work comp company is going to nail me since he doesn't have his own comp policy.

The only annoying thing would be wanting to use my mini to move wood when I'm grinding. But it does seem like a really neat machine.

They look pretty good but a better buy might be a Toro STX 38 at around twice the cost for lightly used one but it is a dedicated grinder. We have had one since they came out and they are fantastic at this 38 hp level. We have done a thousand or more stumps with it and nearly no learning curve on them. Done 12' stumps with it and I have a 65 hp machine but I can put my Dingo tx1000 and the stx on the same trailer. KIMG2372.JPG

They look pretty good but a better buy might be a Toro STX 38 at around twice the cost for lightly used one but it is a dedicated grinder. We have had one since they came out and they are fantastic at this 38 hp level. We have done a thousand or more stumps with it and nearly no learning curve on them. Done 12' stumps with it and I have a 65 hp machine but I can put my Dingo tx1000 and the stx on the same trailer. View attachment 899274
https://www.machinerytrader.com/lis...t/for-sale/list/manufacturer/toro/model/stx38

Hi, I've just bought a new Toro STX-38 stump grinder. I'm new to stump grinding and just wondering what spares I should order.

One set of extra teeth (x16) ? and what about pockets and bolts? Are they something that will break and need replacing? If so do I just need maybe 2 straight pockets and 4 angled for spares? or all 16 to replace all at once?

And same with bolts for pockets? just a few spares or enough to replace all at once?

Thanks!

Back