394xp..... looking for a fact check

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trent Curtis

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
B9EB6FA1-FF28-4634-90E8-D4D0AFD56FAB.jpeg I sold a gent a 394 a couple years ago..... was a nice saw.

Well he sold it back to me, saying that he straight gassed it. I thought it would be an easy fix as the cylinder cleaned up easily.
The saw is all taken apart in a box.....

It appears the job will be a touch more complicated as he must have smacked the flywheel side of the crank with a hammer.... mushrooming the first two threads:omg:

I’m going to use a triangle file to to the rough cleanup..... then a die to chase it.

Fact check: this is indeed a m10x1 (right handed) thread ya?

Thank you

Trent

View attachment 675204 I sold a gent a 394 a couple years ago..... was a nice saw.

Well he sold it back to me, saying that he straight gassed it. I thought it would be an easy fix as the cylinder cleaned up easily.
The saw is all taken apart in a box.....

It appears the job will be a touch more complicated as he must have smacked the flywheel side of the crank with a hammer.... mushrooming the first two threads:omg:

I’m going to use a triangle file to to the rough cleanup..... then a die to chase it.

Fact check: this is indeed a m10x1 (right handed) thread ya?

Thank you

Trent
That guy must be a member here!!!

Personally I like the idea of a split die on this one this crank is significantly mushroomed one of the problems with 394 flywheels is that they really get stuck on there and I feel you need to heat up the flywheel in order to pop these things off

Well, on a good note, at least the end of the crank took a beating and not the wife. :)

That is not enough hammering to bend the crank I guess. Makes me wonder if he heated with torch and smacked with hammer.

Personally I use a modified steering wheel puller to remove the flywheels any more on huskys, after I snapped a 372 crankshaft I looked for a better method.

Just a fluke probably, but I want take any chances again, luckily my friend was understanding, got him a new crank and all was good, after I apologized, felt horrible about it.

Just a fluke probably, but I want take any chances again, luckily my friend was understanding, got him a new crank and all was good, after I apologized, felt horrible about it.
Ha ha ha all good just having fun...but seriously Damn...that takes some power. so you now use a crank puller? or you used to use a crank puller?

I now is a steering wheel puller and use the crank to help pull it off, evenly, works wonderfully, takes an extra 5 min, well worth it.

I have had 2 saws brought in to me that had cranks broken by others trying to get the flywheel off, several more came in with mushroomed crank ends,ruined threads.
Uhm tell the friends, coworkers, idiots, (whatever you call them) that my address is 238-0026 Koyabe in yokosuka Japan and I will pay shipping on good XP units that they have broke cranks on....sounds like a match made in heaven ;)

Back