394xp..... looking for a fact check

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the same snap-on thread files that Harley has.... they work great ...also have the snap-on set of split die's ..I would try the files first get the nut started run it top to bottom a few times..... good luck....
If the die's you have are the type that open enough to fit over the thread fitting it to the thread right by the taper set to the correct clearance &wind the die off rather than trying to start & wind on as with the mushroomed out thread on the crankshaft end the chance of cross/ knackering the thread is increased

If the die's you have are the type that open enough to fit over the thread fitting it to the thread right by the taper set to the correct clearance &wind the die off rather than trying to start & wind on as with the mushroomed out thread on the crankshaft end the chance of cross/ knackering the thread is increased
dies are uber hard and very brittle, not going to say you could not do that, but I doubt it...they would probably crack beforre you could open them enough to clear the threads, let alone the actual mushroomed part. Now if you had a precision two piece die that would be a different story, but those things are not cheap under any circumstances.

Split dies are the way to go on this. They will start at the back and work as you back them off. Murray Split Die https://www.threadtoolsupply.com/murray-tools-split-die-thread-repair-m10x1.html or you can find a military surplus set https://www.ebay.com/p/Four-Star-S1991M-Metric-Thread-Die-Repair-Kit-Tool/1825008691, I found a complete set for less than $80. You may have to wait for right time. Which could be now https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOUR-STAR-...784377?hash=item546214d179:g:NWkAAOSwtDdaTrVm

dies are uber hard and very brittle, not going to say you could not do that, but I doubt it...they would probably crack beforre you could open them enough to clear the threads, let alone the actual mushroomed part. Now if you had a precision two piece die that would be a different story, but those things are not cheap under any circumstances.
You have thought that I was referring to the circular dia with slot The ones I meant are siimilar to pipe dies & are 2 separate pieces slide apart & fit over part to be threaded set to correct size & turn I have 2 or more sets for restoring threads on aircraft main plane taper pins problem they are to big in Dia & imp thread The Murray one in post 23 is what I"m meaning & at $20 it' a
lot cheaper than a crank

You have thought that I was referring to the circular dia with slot The ones I meant are siimilar to pipe dies & are 2 separate pieces slide apart & fit over part to be threaded set to correct size & turn I have 2 or more sets for restoring threads on aircraft main plane taper pins problem they are to big in Dia & imp thread The Murray one in post 23 is what I"m meaning & at $20 it' a
lot cheaper than a crank
can you get the requisite reverse thread in that size? if so then yes a little bit of filing to make it easier on the die and then let her rip!... I have never seen any small one that were not special order for a specific task, and they were always expensive, hence my comment.

Edit: two things to note, its not a reverse thread, don't know why I thought that, and damn... I have never seen sets like that. wonder how precise they are?

Uhm tell the friends, coworkers, idiots, (whatever you call them) that my address is 238-0026 Koyabe in yokosuka Japan and I will pay shipping on good XP units that they have broke cranks on....sounds like a match made in heaven ;)

Both broke cranks were on Stihl 044`s, I guess wacking the crank end with a hammer isn`t the best way to remove a stuck flywheel, no XP units were harmed. Mushed up threads were kinda across the board, many makes were wacked too hard.

can you get the requisite reverse thread in that size? if so then yes a little bit of filing to make it easier on the die and then let her rip!... I have never seen any small one that were not special order for a specific task, and they were always expensive, hence my comment.

Edit: two things to note, its not a reverse thread, don't know why I thought that, and damn... I have never seen sets like that. wonder how precise they are?
If they are as good as the aircraft ones I have then a very close tolerance & superior to std split circular dies the only point I'm not sure on is do the Murray ones have the same small screws to space the 2 halves apart a minute amount to produce a slightly larger dia thread not a problem as the thread depth can be seen as it has already been formed

Latest posts

Back