395 cylinder bolts???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macclay

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a seized 395xp im assuming that the cylinder bolt are 4.5mm, seeing that 4mm is to small and 5mm is to big, is this correct? Any particular reason why?

4.5mm yes, I use a 3/16" T-handle driver to install/uninstall them. I have no idea why they are this way, but that size of cylinder bolt dates back through many Husky models.

Thanks, i wasn't sure if someone had replaced them with non husky bolts, just seems weird that they use 4mm & 5mm everywhere else. It's like "if we stick 4.5mm in, they'll have to use a reputable husqvarna dealer".

Thanks, i wasn't sure if someone had replaced them with non husky bolts, just seems weird that they use 4mm & 5mm everywhere else. It's like "if we stick 4.5mm in, they'll have to use a reputable husqvarna dealer".

Don´t you think it is UNC threads? was on my 181!

UNC is a stronger thread than metric

Whitworth is the strongest thread unc has one more thread per inch over 1/2"

This is due to the angle of the tread

Ignore the factors of strength that come from different parent metals

UNC is a stronger thread than metric

Whitworth is the strongest thread unc has one more thread per inch over 1/2"

This is due to the angle of the tread

Ignore the factors of strength that come from different parent metals

Actually it's the threadform that makes Whitworth a better thread compared to UNC, it's heavily radiused at the root of the thread rather than a sharp change.

I just hate Whitworth head sizing.
It makes no sense and I'm glad it's gone the way of the Dodo, carrying three sets of rings and sockets all the time is a pain in the backside

Last edited:
and UNF is stronger than UNC. Whitworth threads are 55 degrees instead of 60 degrees. Equilateral triangular carbides have 60 degree corners. Coincidence?

Actually it's the threadform that makes Whitworth a better thread compared to UNC, it's heavily radiused at the root of the thread rather than a sharp change.

I just hate Whitworth head sizing.
It makes no sense and I'm glad it's gone the way of the Dodo, carrying three sets of rings and sockets all the time is a pain in the backside

Thread for is what I meant, you just said it better
Whitworth got mucked up in the second world war when they reduced the head size to save metal
EG they but a 5/16th head on a 3/8th bolt

A lot of whitworth still out there in heavy industrial plants

I got metric, AF, Whitwoth, and BA in OE spanners ring spanners and sockets when I started my apprenticeship

At simon

Almost every thread is 60 these days

Whitworth 55
BA and PG (Panzergewinde)80

I remember the Chief mechanical engineer giving us apprentices a lecture about a lot of stuff
At one point he was telling us the whitworth tread form 55 deg and radius points was the strongest.....

All I was suggesting was maybe the designing engineers put those odd bolts in for a reason
All designs are a compromise

A $5 fix on a million units is a $5,000,000 mistake

Last edited:
Back