3pt pto skidder winch, your thoughts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I havent used one but i have a winch on my IH truck that i have used to pull logs up for wood. It is so big i would like to have something smaller.My dads farm has a lot of good died trees on it and one would be great for that.

Some would say just buy another chain or some amsteel blue if you got the room to pull, but on you tube I seen an interesting concept of a home made winch using an open truck rear end and hyd disk brake on one side with the winch line on a FM n the other... seems cheep enough to try before spending big bucks on a farmi winch. There is a couple on here that use them and love them

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

One tree? Just out of reach? Yeah, buy more chain or rope or cable. That said, the uniforest winch I have is the best thing about my tractor.:msp_thumbup:

ive got a skidding setup my dad made in the 80's for his ford NNA, its a Braden winch off an M-37 that was mounted to a plate that was bolted to the axle, chain drive off the PTO, then a 3ft boom with a fairlead on the 3PH to lift the front of the log off the ground.

i want to convert it to hydraulic drive, because the way he had it setup, you can take the boom off easy because its ont he 3ph, but the winch is bolted to the tractor,
with hydro drive i can make it a complete 3 point mount, easy on easy off...

you could make one like this a hell of alot cheaper then the comercial made units

The place were i cut is very rocky so trees get so big and them fall over but the rocks allso make for every bad traction. Their are plenty of dead up rooted trees if you can get to them.

3point pto winch

I have used a pto farm winch for 26 years it will raise the production of firewood by50%. You will fine new uses around the farm for it all the time like moving frozen trailers or pulling stumps,drunks out of ditches,saving round hay bails the roll in to ditches and drag large trees to area to be cut up. I am using my winch to pull logs out of a pile of locust that was bulldozed about 30 feet high.

Pics, gotta have pics!

heres the setup,
i guess its all bolt on, this is the first time its been set up since it was taken off the tractor in the 90's and i was a little kid then..., i just saw the top link on the boom and thought it was used on the 3ph but it just uses the top link not the arms, so its all bolt on... for now

I use the farmi 501 and would never go without it, search some of my old threads tag beech and you'll find it
Yep, darn awesome attachments, these logging winches. Have looked at trees and thought "no way, either the clutch will slip, or it'll stall out", but it keeps pulling 'em. Looking forward to trying it on some large gums down some pretty steep terrain soon. Will need to double or triple up with snatch blocks but keen to see what it can do. Only regret apart from not buying a double drum winch - couldn't afford it at the time but could really make good use of it, is not using 6 and 8 " blocks from the get go. The piddly 3 1/2" 4x4 blocks I used have created a few small kinks in cable when the turns get snagged on something

Sure, these bought tractor winches are far more expensive than building one yourself, but I don't have the skills and mine has more than paid for itself already.

I have a small Wallenstein fx something. It is awesome for pulling logs from 150' away. Stole it for $400 off CL.

I have a Wallenstein FX120 and love it. A little less money than the Farmi. Once you have one you will wonder how you did it without!!!

View attachment 281445View attachment 281446View attachment 281447

This is what I made using a Braden hydraulic winch, patterned after a Farmi. Yes it is differant, but I used what I had available and boy what a time saver! It is amazing how much faster it is pulling logs now using a winch cand then skidding the log with the butt end off the ground compared to dragging everything on the dirt. Have noticed also since much less dirt on the bark chains are staying much sharper, longer. This is a BIG bonus! You know yourself no matter what you do you can't get all the dirt off the bark.

Back