4 banger Toyota pickup as a wood hauler? (Show me your Toyota hauling!)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IHDiesel73L

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As you can tell from my handle I love my Powerstroke (International) diesel, but its a regular cab which doesn't really work that well with a growing family and a large breed dog. Long story short the F-350 is going up for sale in order to finance a kiddie mover (Ford Escape probably) for the wife that will give us, two car seats, and the dog (cargo area) some breathing room on long trips. I will take over driving my wife's Corolla to work which is an 80 mile round trip so I'll see a major reduction in fuel bills :clap: I still need to be able to move firewood though-that's where my old Toyota truck comes in. I inherited it when my uncle passed away-160K on the truck but only 90K or so on the 22RE because the timing belt let go at one point which destroyed the valve train and a few pistons so he had it rebuilt. Mechanically it's pretty solid but it needs a clutch, new rear main seal, shocks, brakes, basic tune-up, etc... The 5 speed trans is good as is the transfer case/hubs. The plan is once we get our vehicle situation straightened out to give the 'Yota a little TLC in the form of rust repair, new wheels and tires, and other small stuff. Basically I want to set it up as a go anywhere woodhauler with a small box (don't want to lose too much bed space) for my saws and other stuff, and a good hitch to pull a 4x8 single axle trailer. If I can set it up to haul a full cord between the bed and trailer I'll be happy. There was a thread a long time ago about guys who haul with four cylinders, so how about a thread for Toyota woodhaulers! The thing I'm looking forward to most with this truck is how maneuverable it is. In my younger days I would take it wheeling on ATV trails-hell, a decent sized 4x4 quad could pull it out if need be. So let's see those Toyota woodhaulers and tell us what you did to it (power upgrades, brake upgrades, helper springs, airbags, etc...). Here's mine:

Toyota001.jpg

Toyota003.jpg

Here's an example of some of the rust on the frame. I honestly don't think it looks that bad. I once owned a '77 Land Cruiser so I know what bad frame rust looks like :shocked:
Toyota004.jpg

Toyota007.jpg

Toyota010.jpg

Toyota009.jpg

Smaller trucks need narrower roads. I'd score some more agressive off road tires depending on the terrain where your wood lives, if its not too muddy actually those tires would be fine. Another option would be a lunchbox locker in the rear diff, they're not for rock crawling or high horsepower but they'll work just fine to add a little more grip when the truck gets twisted. Using 4x low will save your clutch a lot and let you carefully creep along over bumps and stumps. Sometimes I think I can move wood faster with the 4x4 diesel gator than with a pickup.

No help with the upgrades here, but that truck looks exactly like my brothers. And by chance he is looking to get rid of it, I think it has maybe 110,000 miles on it and I have been contemplating whether it would be useful or not.

If I were in your shoes I would fix the problems I am aware of. After making the trip to the woods a couple of times I would then decide what to fix or upgrade.

This is just me thinking outloud. How heavy will the trailer be fully loaded? Since you will be using a small pickup would it be worth the money adding trailer brakes to your setup? Whats the point of getting going if you cant stop? Again that is me asking more than offering.

I like big trucks, but in the woods here in the Ozarks a Toyota 4x4 works for me. I can snake this thing through the woods where a fullsize truck can not go.

Here's my 94 wood hauler with 265,000 miles, all original, only work done was a timing belt, starter and front brakes. Still has org clutch and rear brakes. :)

Toyota1.jpg

I had two 22R equipped Toyota 4x4 Xtra Cab pickups, a 1985 I bought new and a 1994 I bought used to replace it with. I got 162K on the first one before I sold it, never replaced the shocks and got 82K out of the original tires (I still have them and the original rims). It was only on the 3rd set of tires when I sold it, but I did replace the alternator 2 or 3 times. The second one I sold after our second daughter was born as it was not a good hauler for small kids.

I used the 85 for hauling wood and all sorts of things, including a 16' equipment trailer that weighs 2K empty. I never loaded it with a car or tractor, but did haul lumber, trailers and farm equipment on it.

I think you will be fine once you get the bugs worked out.

1997 Toyota T100 stock 160,000 miles family of 4 2/3s

176392d1300372751-0316111816b-jpg

175209d1299506285-0306111806a-jpg

174105d1298908655-0227111812b-jpg

4 cylinder toyotas rule. I have an 04 tacoma reg cab 4x4. I love it. My requirements when buying a truck are simple:

1. Standard transmission

2. Manual crank windows and manually operated door locks.

Since most truck companies just sell automatic trucks full of tons of electronical bull####, i was glad to find the Tacoma. No metrosexual trucks for me, thanks.

Bought it at 60k, have 113k now. Zero problems of course. I did replace the leaf springs with 2.5" lift skyjackers after i completely used up the stock ones. Put 2 inch lift spacers on the front to level it out. I pull a 6x12 landscaping trailer with it all the time. Won't win many races, but i know what's gonna happen when i turn the key. Every time. Don't wanna post a pic because i have stalkers on this site that would fap to a pic of my truck. Toyota rules.:rock:

I have an 89 that I use when I'm scrounging. It's bone stock though. I do want to add a rear window protector of some sort, but haven't quite figured out how to add one without some welding or $$. You could probably put a small box on there, but I find when you have the bed full, that's about all she really likes for weight anyway.

Even if you don't lock your front hubs, putting it in 4Low helps alot with getting around the yard or wood trails. A locker would be nice, but I have yet to get stuck with mine in the woods.

My dad had a 79 toyota 2wd pickup (i was too young to remember much about it. Then he traded that in for an 84 2wd pickup with the 22re. All i remember about it was during the entire time he had it he replaced a battery, front pads, and a water pump over the course of about 10 years. We had corollas, camrys, and one cressida (awesome car) over the years, and all were great machines. I wish they still made the t100. If i wasn't so happy with my tacoma, i'd love a 5 speed reg cab 4x4 t100.

My dad had a 79 toyota 2wd pickup (i was too young to remember much about it. Then he traded that in for an 84 2wd pickup with the 22re. All i remember about it was during the entire time he had it he replaced a battery, front pads, and a water pump over the course of about 10 years. We had corollas, camrys, and one cressida (awesome car) over the years, and all were great machines. I wish they still made the t100. If i wasn't so happy with my tacoma, i'd love a 5 speed reg cab 4x4 t100.

I love my T100 and like you I wish they still made them. I bought mine off my FILs lease from the dealer where he was the manager. 4 years old with 55,000 miles for $11,600, wow wish I could do that again. Wife is all over me to get a new truck with the one on the way puts us at 5 in our family, but many a hunting/fishing trips with 5 adults in that truck I think we will be fine with the 3 little ones in the back.

Hauling and towing, it will do it. But I'd just give it a little grace, and not overload it. A 5x10 trailer for wood and the box can hold tools.

They don't have the best capacity for hauling, and can sag if you overload it too many times.

Someone else on here always points out- Hubs, bearings, shocks, and brakes, only compliment the frame.

I've only rusted out more than most will ever have to own, beach and hot shot lawn crews, and love them- 84 to 89's the best....

Among others we're down to two 4 Runners in our family at the moment, but I have 15 yo coming up on a birthday, and I have told her for years its was going to be an 88.

If you want to haul a whole cord, I suggest a beater 1992 Ford I-6 five speed 150 and a 6x12 trailer with 3500# axle.

Last edited:
I used my 4x4 single cab 4 cylinder to pull a trailer to clean out 15 acres of walnut trees.The clutch was cooked in 3 months. I still have the truck hall lots of wood just not a trailer.

Last edited:
Yo ancy:

Does that T100 have the 3.4 V6?

I've got a 1996 with the 3.4 engine and I haven't touched anything on it other than tires, batteries and fluids. Mine only has 45K miles on it and is in excellent condition. I haven't spent a dime on repairs in fifteen years but since the truck is getting long in the tooth, I'm thinking that maybe I should be carrying out some of the preventative maintenance and in particular, the timing belt. From what I've read, if one is changing the timing belt, they should also change the water pump. Problem is that the truck has been such a great vehicle, I'm a bit reluctant to bring to Toyota to have it worked on. If I do bring it in, it will be to a Toyota dealership. Might cost more but I'm confident they're probably the best people to do the work.

The external serpentine belt still looks like new hence my reluctance to mess with the timing belt. However, I'm fully aware that if the timing belt let's go, there will be serious consequences.

Have you had the timing belt changed on yours? Anyone else out there with the 3.4 V6 who hasn't changed the timing belt as per maintenance schedule (5 years/90K miles, whichever comes first)?

Yo ancy:

Does that T100 have the 3.4 V6?

I've got a 1996 with the 3.4 engine and I haven't touched anything on it other than tires, batteries and fluids. Mine only has 45K miles on it and is in excellent condition. I haven't spent a dime on repairs in fifteen years but since the truck is getting long in the tooth, I'm thinking that maybe I should be carrying out some of the preventative maintenance and in particular, the timing belt. From what I've read, if one is changing the timing belt, they should also change the water pump. Problem is that the truck has been such a great vehicle, I'm a bit reluctant to bring to Toyota to have it worked on. If I do bring it in, it will be to a Toyota dealership. Might cost more but I'm confident they're probably the best people to do the work.

The external serpentine belt still looks like new hence my reluctance to mess with the timing belt. However, I'm fully aware that if the timing belt let's go, there will be serious consequences.

Have you had the timing belt changed on yours? Anyone else out there with the 3.4 V6 who hasn't changed the timing belt as per maintenance schedule (5 years/90K miles, whichever comes first)?

It has the 3.4 V6 and from what I am told at some point the got ride of the belts and went to gears or a chain, I don't remember. When I hit 100,000 I had it gone through and tuned up that's when I thought I would do the timing belt but they said they changed that. Mine has had so problems but nothing major. 45,000 miles, do you drive anywhere? Bringing it to an x toyota worker tomorrow for new rotors and a wine in the rear end I will ask about the timing belt again.

It's not a Toyota, but......

I hauled plenty of wood in this little Nissan over the years. I must admit most of the hauling from my wood cutting area to home was down hill. Wouldn't maintain highway speed uphill even without a load and putting some wood in it cut that back quite a bit. By the way this just had a little four cylinder motor.

I bought the trailer when I got tired of climbing into the canopy. My concern with it was getting too much of a load and brake issues on the long downhill run. I kept the loads light and never a problem.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back