4 banger Toyota pickup as a wood hauler? (Show me your Toyota hauling!)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine's a 4runner, not a truck, and it's never hauled much, but I'm finishing up a lot of work I just put into it and it's looking and driving better than ever so I thought I'd share a pic.

attachment.php

Also came across this vid the other day. Has most of us beat, I think.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gHhYZnNif9w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Had one just like it! A '90. Got it on internet from a kid in RI. Had less than 100,000 miles. Used it for 6 yrs getting wood. Great on the dirt biker trails. Traded it in on the wifes 2002. 3rd one but they're skimping on the carbon in the steel. Toyota replaced the whole frame. Cost them $12,000!

Didn't cost Toyota a penny they charged the company that made the frames, a US company because it wasn't to spec. That company is now bankrupt . My son worked for toyota and did many frame replacements

I'm bumping an old thread, I know, but it's MY thread! :hmm3grin2orange: Finally finished (well, almost finished) my 'Yota woodhauler:

IMG_1633.jpg

After doing of the basic maintenance it needed (tune up and such) I replaced the entire exhaust, put T-100 brakes on the front, cranked the T-bars for 1.5" of lift, replaced the shocks with longer travel units, put some helper springs in the rear which also gave me about 3" of lift, and put a set of 265/75/16 (32x10.5) Treadwright Guard Dogs on 16x7 Tundra steelies on it. The only thing left to do is "Lincoln Lock" the rear but I need to get down to my buddy's shop to do the welding. I took it out to one of my cutting spots and even with open diffs the Treadwrights kick ass! As you can see the rearend is a little jacked, but that will even out once the truck is loaded which will be nice-no more looking up at the sky when I'm hauling wood :laugh: Keep the Yota wood hauling pics coming!

I'm bumping an old thread, I know, but it's MY thread! :hmm3grin2orange: Finally finished (well, almost finished) my 'Yota woodhauler:

IMG_1633.jpg

After doing of the basic maintenance it needed (tune up and such) I replaced the entire exhaust, put T-100 brakes on the front, cranked the T-bars for 1.5" of lift, replaced the shocks with longer travel units, put some helper springs in the rear which also gave me about 3" of lift, and put a set of 265/75/16 (32x10.5) Treadwright Guard Dogs on 16x7 Tundra steelies on it. The only thing left to do is "Lincoln Lock" the rear but I need to get down to my buddy's shop to do the welding. I took it out to one of my cutting spots and even with open diffs the Treadwrights kick ass! As you can see the rearend is a little jacked, but that will even out once the truck is loaded which will be nice-no more looking up at the sky when I'm hauling wood :laugh: Keep the Yota wood hauling pics coming!

Nice! looks like you did a "Zuk mod" on the rear. I added coil springs to my runner this winter and got about the same amount of lift in back. Like the look of those Treadwrights too. I put a Lockrite locker in my rearend, was very simple to do and only cost about $250 bucks for the part. Handles very similar on road and off road is a WORLD of difference.

Nice! looks like you did a "Zuk mod" on the rear. I added coil springs to my runner this winter and got about the same amount of lift in back. Like the look of those Treadwrights too. I put a Lockrite locker in my rearend, was very simple to do and only cost about $250 bucks for the part. Handles very similar on road and off road is a WORLD of difference.

Are you a Yotatech'er? It is the ZUK mod indeed-200lb 14" springs-they make for a little rougher ride, but the hauling capacity will be worth it. I went back and forth about the Lockrite vs. a welded rear and now that I've talked to plenty of guys who run them on the street I'm ok with it. I have a complete rearend (drum to drum) that I'm going to use as my guinea pig. If I really hate it I can always swap my old 3rd member back in.

Didn't cost Toyota a penny they charged the company that made the frames, a US company because it wasn't to spec. That company is now bankrupt . My son worked for toyota and did many frame replacements

Actually, Dana was the supplier of the frames on the early 2k tacomas. Same supplier that made my tundra frame. Reason I went south for my tundra...I dont think their bankrupt.

I forgot to take pics, but I moved 1 cord of apple wood in three trips... from the garage to the stacking area out back. No trouble with that, except backing up a hill required 4L since it was lacking some low end grunt due to an exhaust leak.

I'll be able to haul lots more after getting some manual hubs and throwing some Chevy 1500 leafs on the back.

I have used my daily driver 2000 yota, 4 cyl, manual for about a 6 months to haul wood. Sometimes (if not most) I would fit a full cord in a 5x8 trailer and fill the bed, fir mostly, but sometimes I would do alder. Green too :frown: The clutch and brakes are done but other than power it did exceptionally well for what I asking it do. You can really beat on them and they take it! It only has 130k

FYI I ended up buying and f350.... I hate that it wont go places the yota did and the 350 turns like a tractor :(

Last edited:
Are you a Yotatech'er? It is the ZUK mod indeed-200lb 14" springs-they make for a little rougher ride, but the hauling capacity will be worth it. I went back and forth about the Lockrite vs. a welded rear and now that I've talked to plenty of guys who run them on the street I'm ok with it. I have a complete rearend (drum to drum) that I'm going to use as my guinea pig. If I really hate it I can always swap my old 3rd member back in.

I'm a member, but not very active. Mainly use it to research the best parts to buy, troubleshoot problems, etc. Lots of good info there for yota owners.

I have went back and fourth several times about getting a bigger truck with an 8' bed so I could haul more firewood, but I just can't bring myself to sell my little ole truck :)

DSCF0863.jpg

DSCF0864.jpg

I could do a lot of things to make it nicer, but some helper springs would be a good place to start. 1983

Careful cranking those T=bars!

IMG_1633.jpg

Ball joint spacers are better in every way. Except a Solid axle conversion of course!

good thinking.

In doing a little reading I'm reconsidering the 33s. I'm going to stick with 31s and maybe still try to get some 4.56s because I want to be able to pull a trailer.

proper gearing is the best money you could spend.

Back