4 banger Toyota pickup as a wood hauler? (Show me your Toyota hauling!)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty simple.

I'll have to agree. 4Low is very handy. Sometimes I wish it was lower, but it's not bad. The nice thing about manual hubs is you can put it in 4Low without locking the hubs, and it's like having low range for 2wd.

I still haven't quite figured out how to bypass the high idle circuit when the engine is cold.

89-94 upper intake and throttle body. Ton's of articles about it online. I do them all the time.

89-94 upper intake and throttle body. Ton's of articles about it online. I do them all the time.

Can you post a link to a couple? I haven't found much. There is a coolant line that goes to those IIRC. Mine is an 89 22RE. I didn't find much on Pirate, or toyotanation.

I did see one guy put some duct tape over the hole inside. I'd rather not do that.

Last edited:
Don't have any pics of it loaded up, but this is my 91, 3.slow. BJ spacers and 14" 100lb coil Zuk mod in the rear. Rides great. Been hauling potting soil lately, handles a wet yard just fine (~3000lbs) with room to spare in the suspension.

6147899903_a34d3b1434_b.jpg

Don't have any pics of it loaded up, but this is my 91, 3.slow. BJ spacers and 14" 100lb coil Zuk mod in the rear. Rides great. Been hauling potting soil lately, handles a wet yard just fine (~3000lbs) with room to spare in the suspension.

6147899903_a34d3b1434_b.jpg

Mine looks identical, well except for the rust on mine and a different color. I love that little truck. Mine has the 22RE which works, but there isn't much power to spare. I'm just glad it's a standard and not an auto. :)

What is the Zuk mod? Mine sags a bit with a load, but it's not too bad.

The Zuk mod is a way of attatching a coil spring between the frame and axle. makes your leaf spring rear end into a coil spring. No sag, and a better ride.
Look it up on Yotatech! It was easy, less than an hour to install and about $80

I'll look for the links.

Can you post a link to a couple? I haven't found much. There is a coolant line that goes to those IIRC. Mine is an 89 22RE. I didn't find much on Pirate, or toyotanation.

I did see one guy put some duct tape over the hole inside. I'd rather not do that.

I'll go look at my 4runner to see what I did with that line. I don't remember. LOL

Yeah, Custom ground cam and everything in it, 4:10 gears, Griffin radiator and fans, list goes on and on.

Someone tell this found on road dead guy this is a Toyota thread. :notrolls2:

I hauled 6 loads today. Started with these to test the yard they came out of:
DSC05967.jpg

DSC05974.jpg

Ended with this:
DSC05978.jpg

DSC05977.jpg

DSC05975.jpg

:msp_thumbup:

yikes I aint never hauled wood in a truck that nice lookin before...that would scare me to death lol

Here is my tundra, no load on it. 234,000 miles. I have to take it in for another inspection, they are extending the recall/warranty for the rusted frames on some years. I had it in once already, they replaced the spare tire straps and the gas tank straps. All free. I do load it down on occasion though. Just discovered I have one broken leaf spring. It was hanging out the side and banging into stuff as I drove down the road. Also starting to get a modulating vibration/hum when driving. May be a bearing or something in the rear end. maybe just a bad tire. :msp_wink: I keep telling myself that anyway.

Latest posts

Back