4 poplars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure Dan will find plenty of stuff for you guys to critique me on and i'm ok with that. Be nice to just work with some reall tree guys and not the knuckleheads I usually have with me. It's a great thing when you don't have to watch your back and everything flows.

You know Dan, Plas I see this job two ways but who know until I see the job in person. I know my friend who taught me to climb comes down from the great woods sometimes to help, it's a breath of fresh air when he does, we can bust some #### out. We took down 4 ash trees similar in size, similar scenario, about 75' tall and some other smaller trees, chipped everything up with a chuck and duck, cut all the wood and loaded into a neighbors F150 truck and clean-up. Did I mention there was two shed underneath two of the trees and we had to climb all of them. We were out of there in two days. Two guys, two days, two 30yrd truck loads of chips except for the wood we had help loading.:cheers:

I'm sure Dan will find plenty of stuff for you guys to critique me on and i'm ok with that. Be nice to just work with some reall tree guys and not the knuckleheads I usually have with me. It's a great thing when you don't have to watch your back and everything flows.

You know Dan, Plas I see this job two ways but who know until I see the job in person. I know my friend who taught me to climb comes down from the great woods sometimes to help, it's a breath of fresh air when he does, we can bust some #### out. We took down 4 ash trees similar in size, similar scenario, about 75' tall and some other smaller trees, chipped everything up with a chuck and duck, cut all the wood and loaded into a neighbors F150 truck and clean-up. Did I mention there was two shed underneath two of the trees and we had to climb all of them. We were out of there in two days. Two guys, two days, two 30yrd truck loads of chips except for the wood we had help loading.:cheers:

You should be able to set a top rope and cut on the way up. Staying on the trunk land pieces for easy chipping by base of tree. Bomb the wood on the way down. If we fell the trees whole the brush will be to far from the chipper. Well to far for me, I'd rather climb than drag.
I don't want to bother trying to pull the rotten one over, to much time, and as well with the others. To set them so they fall around where it would be good is probably possible too but them we deal with huge holes and limbs still jammed in the ground . It is possible we may drop one but I think its better we don't.

Easy breezy watch out Dan its those well you know, we know you get them down fine:cheers: I like my chuck and duck in scenarios where five men are going at it hard it never gets behind making a man wait lol. 14 hours 3 men bout right not going too fast kindof savoring the job sometimes it fun. The worst thing will be the stink lmfao:cheers:

No, can't never let up. Sucks for me, I got to run the chipper the whole time.

I'm assuming this is sarcastic as you know I can manage but a relatively small portion of the climbing unless a miracle happens between now and then.

I'm assuming this is sarcastic as you know I can manage but a relatively small portion of the climbing unless a miracle happens between now and then.

No sarcasm. You can't let up even if it looks easy you got to stick it and with you and Nc galavanting round then poplars that leaves mainly me to run the stuff through the chipper. I am sure both of you will pitch in though.

Don't worry dan, I don't mind doing ground work, kind of look forward to it since I'm always the one in the tree.

$500 for two days????? LOL, #1 that pay rate is a joke. I can do a half day job & make that.....& we`re talking little stuff.

2nd, those 4 trees are a walk in the park, could have them down in 1/2 day, the time will be spent in the undersized chipper doing the cleanup!! as far as ground work....... the way my team & I work is; he who climbs/runs bucket doesnt touch the brush!!

that job where Im at would break down like this; remove 4 trees, chip brush, leave wood $15-1800.00 & be done in a day & a half easily!

LXT.............

$500 for two days????? LOL, #1 that pay rate is a joke. I can do a half day job & make that.....& we`re talking little stuff.

2nd, those 4 trees are a walk in the park, could have them down in 1/2 day, the time will be spent in the undersized chipper doing the cleanup!! as far as ground work....... the way my team & I work is; he who climbs/runs bucket doesnt touch the brush!!

that job where Im at would break down like this; remove 4 trees, chip brush, leave wood $15-1800.00 & be done in a day & a half easily!

LXT.............

Half a day? With what like an entire battalion of guys that you have to pay as well?

Half a day? With what like an entire battalion of guys that you have to pay as well?

Plas it could be done that fast even by this old fart. However Dan explained that he did not want it down that fast as to not have it all piled up. The Dan likely just wants a safe learning experiance for you. I feel he is smart to take his time especially if it is bid to. I frequently take my time for many reasons some being exposure, some when working with green men or new to me experienced men. The idea of fast being best needs smashed as it truly is not. I have worked and supervised men for over 25 years in this industry without a serious injury and that is what ya got to look at.

LXT.............

Sure, OK, whatever, good for you dude:cheers:

Sure, OK, whatever, good for you dude:cheers:

I now see why I SRT'd up that last tree today TMD. There was no way to DRT from the ground because the both legs of the climb line didn't follow the same path through the branches. Duh... Dumb question. At the time I was like why not just set the SRT up from the ground to make it easier all around.

Should I be using a backup prusik with the hand ascender? Seems like there was an awful lot riding on ONE mechanical device...

I now see why I SRT'd up that last tree today TMD. There was no way to DRT from the ground because the both legs of the climb line didn't follow the same path through the branches. Duh... Dumb question. At the time I was like why not just set the SRT up from the ground to make it easier all around.

Should I be using a backup prusik with the hand ascender? Seems like there was an awful lot riding on ONE mechanical device...

I would worry about that a whole lot at this time. No, after today ( and after almost getting your head tore off) I think best bet would be to get you tied in the top of one of them big poplars and let you stretch your legs. We won't be able to hear you when you are up there and the certainly isn't going to be a whole lot we will be able to do for you.

Are you going to post the pics of what we did today? Nice gig. Did anybody get a shot of me cutting through the dam zip-line strap? I hope not to get up so early ever again, crushed my groove. Now I am to tired to sleep.

Plas,

2 climbers....me & my top rate could easily put those on the ground in no time! Theres tons of room!!! getting them down is not the problem, its in the cleanup!!

BTW, Treeman...........I wasnt busting on your chipper, I have a 90xp too, along with many other toys, and I dont care about your self titled im the "Dan" crap.... please!!! so before you PM me with macho attitude & the thought that you think your all that. stop & think before you post! $500.00 for 2 days is a joke!!!!

you might get alot of "green" I want to learn types to bite on that....but you wont get an experienced tree guy to! hell.....$500.00 if guys are wanting to make that................I got a whole bunch of work approx 150 30-40ft maples needing pruned for a golf course....prune 1 an hour no cleanup & make $500.00 a day!!! and you`re gonna pay that for 2 days and make em clean up????? Gooooood Luck keeping help my man!

LXT............

Plas,

2 climbers....me & my top rate could easily put those on the ground in no time! Theres tons of room!!! getting them down is not the problem, its in the cleanup!!

BTW, Treeman...........I wasnt busting on your chipper, I have a 90xp too, along with many other toys, and I dont care about your self titled im the "Dan" crap.... please!!! so before you PM me with macho attitude & the thought that you think your all that. stop & think before you post! $500.00 for 2 days is a joke!!!!

you might get alot of "green" I want to learn types to bite on that....but you wont get an experienced tree guy to! hell.....$500.00 if guys are wanting to make that................I got a whole bunch of work approx 150 30-40ft maples needing pruned for a golf course....prune 1 an hour no cleanup & make $500.00 a day!!! and you`re gonna pay that for 2 days and make em clean up????? Gooooood Luck keeping help my man!

LXT............

You don't have the slightest clue about what is going on over here and that is easy to see and I am sorry but I am The Dan, you are not. Is there is any subcontract climbers out there that feels the wages are poor?

I'm guessing that different tree guys have different business models. The guys with tons of equipment and tons of low paid ground guys to pull from are all about volume...do a ton of jobs as quick as you can at a lowball price. And the smaller guys basically running a one man show with some help here and there are more about quality versus quantity.

I may be a greenhorn TREE guy (if you can even call me that) but I'm no dummy...let me tell you something about what happened to airline pilots, particularly the regional guys flying the CRJ's and Dash-8's, and even up to and including 737 pilots...back in the day, if you were flying anything you were making a lot of money, a whole lot. You were making a lot of money because you had a set of skills that hardly anybody else has and you had a great responsibility on your shoulders. These were the Pan Am heydays. As the years and decades rolled on, people started accepting pilot jobs for lower and lower and LOWER pay. Today, the right seat guy in a CRJ often times makes LESS THAN $20,000 per YEAR. Less than 20 grand to pilot a $20,000 aircraft with 50 souls on board? What the...? It's true.

Anyway moral of the story is, regardless of what your craft is, what your skill set is, don't contribute to driving the industry to cut-throat pricing. I mean look, you're 100 feet in the air on something that is anything but engineered and fully understood swaying in the breeze with a chain saw. Your life, the life of your kid's father and your wife's husband is hanging on am 11mm rope. That #### deserves coin man.

Anyway that's my $.02, or should I say 20 dollars.

Plas,

LXT............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back